Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #1

Alpha Air Beds

Good day Newmar Owners
My 2010 Dutch Aire came with a King size Alpha Air Bed. Last year, since I did not have any user's manual, I researched the web and found one. During my travels, the air pump would be intermittent. The control box which has the air pumps in it, is located at the bottom of the bed. I was able to "wing it" by hitting the box with my hands, activating the pump. Each of the two controls always lit up when any of the button was pushed. Over the summer of 2015, being an ex electronics engineer, I decided to see if I could troubleshoot it. I contacted Alpha Air bed via email, but got no response. I ended up taking the bed apart to get at the controller. I found that the "black box" contained a small computer board and two air pumps. I discovered that one of the connectors was not seated. I removed the board and cleaned it along with the associated connectors. Putting it all back together, the pumps worked OK now.
When on the Alpha Air Bed site last year, I noticed that they had a "lifetime warranty." However, this year when I looked up Alpha Air Beds, the Google search came up with their web site up was for sale. Furthermore, using the address on the users manual, search results in Alpha Technologies, a wholesaler for electronic equipment and supplies, not air beds.

I wanted to "ping" Newmar about this situation. Here is my requested email and their response (in blue):

I have an Alpha Air Mattress in my Dutch Aire. Last year, I was looking for a users manual, which I found on their web site: www.alphaairbeds.com. I noticed that their web site stated, "Lifetime Warranty." When extensively researching the web e this year, their web site is up FOR SALE. Alpha Air Bed address is: 24 Rosewood Court Princeton Junction, NJ 08550. If you Google this address, it now belongs to Alpha Technologies. There "core business" is wholesale electric equipment and supplies, not Air Beds.

1. It is beyond my comprehension, why Newmar would "select" such a fly by night supplier as Alpha Air Beds, instead of an established supplier for Air Beds.

2. What is Newmar now using as an Air Bed supplier.Sleep Number is our current supplier.
3. What is Newmar doing to "back up" the previous supplier warranty - Life Time Warranty. Newmar warrantied the coach for one year and does not warranty the Alpha Air Mattress beyond one year.
So, as you can see if you have an Alpha Air bed, you are basically screwed, since this fly-by-night company is gone and no longer can provide support. You are left to buy a very expensive Sleep Number. Funny, why would you go to Newmar, unless you were under warranty, to buy a Sleep Number bed at a marked up price instead of going directly to a Sleep Number store?

I have attached the Alpha Air Bed users manual for owners that do not have one.

Regards
Mark S.
2010 Dutch Aire, 4317, 425HP ISL, 2014 Chevy Captiva
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alpha Air Mattress Manual.pdf (151.2 KB, 162 views)
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!