Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #1

Alternator question

I have a 1999 Dutchstar 38 ft and on a recent trip noticed voltage on the instrument panel staying around 12.5. It started raining (and eventually snowing) and voltage started dropping to around 12 and windshield wipers got slower. Suddenly (over the course of about 10-15 minutes) the voltage dropped to 8-10 volts and the engine shut off. I disconnected the tow, pulled the chassis batteries and took to NAPA. They said 1 battery was bad and the other showed recharge and test. I replaced both batteries, drove to the nearest campground and plugged in for the weekend. On Sunday, drove straight home (without blower, headlights, or wipers) and voltage showed 12.5 volts for the trip (4 hours). I am assuming that the alternator has gone bad since with the engine running and testing battery voltage directly with a voltmeter shows no increase from without the engine running, but is there possibly something else to check before I pull the alternator and order a new one? Thanks, Phil
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to smoker
I think that you will have solved your problem, when you put on the new alternator. I had the same problem with mine, and I was stuck in a city, where I didn't know where to go. Went to the nearest truck garage and had it check, and they said that it needed to be replaced, so after overnight and 615.00 bucks lighter, I was on my way.. not a good way to find out, that I could have done it myself, had I been home...
smoker
smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Belt slipping on alternator???
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
It could be a bad voltage regulator but in the newer alternators it is internal to the alternator so a complete replacement is in order. The normal voltage output should be 14.5 volts. I would consider Arch's suggestion before ordering the alternator.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
RJay is correct but remember you can start gen set and run while driving and that will almost hold voltage so you can continue on trip with bad alt...
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You might check for a alternator rebuild shop in the area.

The last one I replaced also only was putting out 12.5V by my VMSpc at idle or any RPM.

Mine was a 120 AMP and got it rebuilt for $138 and carry it as a spare.
Bought a 160 AMP new one for $208.65 to put on May 06.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #7

More alternator questions

I checked for the belt slippage and that looks good, although I will replace the belts when I replace the alternator. I was looking around at the alternator and can't find any markings or label plate. Any ideas on how to ID it?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #8

Removed the alternator. Once I cleaned it up, I could see the data plate. 160 amp. A local shop can rebuild for $160 so that's probably the route I'll take. Anybody have any thoughts negative or positive on rebuild vs new?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #9

A rebuild is much cheaper than buying a new alternator. I vote for the rebuild.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suspect if you take it to a rebuild shop they will know exactly what it is. I'd do a rebuild on it also. That way you know what's going on with it.

And if you have to buy a new one I'd go to the original manufacturer.

Aftermarket alternators from Kragens, etc have given me enough problems to cause me to never buy components from them anymore. They'll give you another one when it dies but you still have all the hassel of installing it, etc
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #11

Just got the alternator back from the repair place.The guy said it would have taken a week to get it apart for a rebuild due to rust. They replaced the brushes and said it was good to go. $55 out the door. I'll get it put back in today or tomorrow (waiting on new belts from NAPA) and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
For future reference, if an alternator goes bad, one should be able to run the generator until you get to a place where further investigation can be made. The generator should keep the chassis batteries charged enough (or at least >12 VDC going into the circuit) to get you to your next destination.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rebuilt good as new?

Greetings,
Be careful buying a rebuilt alternator. Some shops use too many questionable parts in a hurry to get them out the door. It took me three tries to get one that lasted. One rebuilt alternator installed in Alabama lasted about an hour(cost was $168.00). The second one from the same shop lasted 2,000 miles(cost was $193.00). The third one was new (costs $176.00) from a truck repair facility and is still going strong. This particular truck shop repair lots of log trucks. They don't use rebuilt alternators.
Have fun!
Milt
Old 05-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #14

Back in business

Got the repaired alternator installed. Everything is looking good... at least as far as that problem goes. Thanks for all the input.