Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

Am I Crazy?

I have found a nice used 2008 DSDP that a dealer took in on trade. DW and I really like the layout and it drives great. However, on further inspection we didn't see and RV antifreeze. After looking further with the sales person we confirmed it was never winterized. We are in upstate NY and the RV came from Canada. Am I crazy to even consider such a purchase? The dealer has agreed to fix anything that is wrong with it. They have brought it into the shop. So far, when trying to pressurize the water system the hose to the dishwasher leaked. They will get it fixed and continue to look for any other issues. What I am most worried about is the Oasis system since fresh water runs through it. Any thoughts? Should I run away?
Pjzanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Run forest run. It may take more than that dealer will stick around for.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

If it's a reputable dealer, and they will give you at least a 60 day warranty on all items that might have suffered from freeze damage, it would probably be worth the chance. I would also use it as leverage to get a substantial discount on an "Extended Service Plan" if you are considering one. The dealer's profit on them is big, and they can afford to cut the price.

Good to check dealer's service dept. at RVSERVICEREVIEWS.COM

If you do go for it, I would plan to stay near the dealer for a few days after picking it up, and running all systems at least a few times.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #4

Could they have blown the lines out with air? I know people that do but am not sure about a MH like the one you are looking at.
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #5

I'm assuming they are a Newmar dealer as that would be very helpful.

Another option:
I would negotiate to pay them something like $2,500 for them and you to go through a complete Newmar pre-delivery inspection, develop a complete list of problems they will fix before you take possession. That's the same thing new buyers pay for to be done at the Newmar mfg plant. Even better if you can use outsiders.

Get the inspection list from 007. However you do it, don't take delivery and drive off without doing a complete inspection and having everything fixed Before you take possession.

Hire an RV inspector and a mechanic. Do detailed and painful due diligence not limited to a few hours...inspect for a couple of weeks.

I don't like losing your leverage. Once off site, you are hoping for a lot.

Nice to have a warranty and service if If IF, you are confident the rv is 100% ready to rock and roll.

Yeah, I'm the buyer from hell so to speak. Make em suffer for putting such a wonderful unit at risk.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
For the type of coach your looking at I do not think your crazy if it checks out OK you might have a good find no sense in a panic coach has been built well to begin with and you have come to the right forum to begin with for answers.
Most likely the plumbing system was only blown out the trouble with that is some waters if the job was not done correctly will have water in low spots in system.
If the Hot water tank is empty that's a plus and there was pink stuff in toilets so seals can not dry out would have helped.
The faucet valves, valves in toilets ,maybe OK the dealer missed up on this coach for sure.
I would have the heater running and send pink stuff through out the plumbing system to see what there is for leaks if there is any, dealer maybe lucky.
One location to check is the fill pipe from city water fill input to water filter about a foot because people forget that piece could have water in it. Filter should have been emptied before blow out.
The hot water heater would have to be checked out for leaks if not drained for sure.
With these expensive coach's even if blown out you should still send the pink stuff in system just to be safe to many locations for problems.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you and some info on winterizing.
Here is a used coach PDI list. Newmar new coach PDI list.
Good luck in the check out just take the time to cross check your dealer.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If it has an Aqua Hot/Hydra Hot that wasn't winterized correctly you are looking at a big ticket fix....
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
As 007 has pointed out, if gone over, repaired, tested, with your approval, will make you a wonderful Coach! I would not pay them anything above the price settled on for a PDI.........this is a used Coach, and should be ready to go. PDI.....FREE! Does the dealer know who winterized it? Them or the previous owner? If this is it, 2008 NEWMAR DUTCH STAR 4304 Class A Diesel: 800-628-4889 I have seen it for a little while on there website. Make sure to look inside all the basement compartment area's, crawl right in there(Water pressure on) and take your time and get a good look around.
Washing machine? if so , run it through its paces........
EDIT: Forgot, I am sorry..........Welcome!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #9

Thanks for all the great advice. I don't think the water system was blown out. I should have added that the bottom of the water filter housing was completely separated. It was clear that there was water in it and it froze. However the tanks were drained.

I still find it hard to believe that this would ever happen. Like I said, it was a trade in that came from Canada and arrived early November. If I were trading in an RV I would be really concerned with getting the highest value. Making sure it was winterized would be high on my list.
Pjzanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #10

One other place to check is the P traps for the sink drains. Ours froze before we bought it and the traps had hairline cracks that didn't start leaking for a couple of months. Just more things to think about. Didn't cost much to fix but took a while to figure out where the leak was and fittings were hard to find.
bullheadbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjzanella View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. I don't think the water system was blown out. I should have added that the bottom of the water filter housing was completely separated. It was clear that there was water in it and it froze. However the tanks were drained.

I still find it hard to believe that this would ever happen. Like I said, it was a trade in that came from Canada and arrived early November. If I were trading in an RV I would be really concerned with getting the highest value. Making sure it was winterized would be high on my list.
The holding tanks can take some expansion but with all the systems full of water the dealer has messed up big time.
If your still interested and get even a better deal I would pump the pink stuff through out the system and go from their, if there are leaks unseen the dealer owns it because he will not be able to find all the fittings hidden in the insulated floor and repair and I drought Newmar would want to even tackle it themselves.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #12

There's ways to check the fresh water system for leaks without filling it with pink anti-freeze. One way is to put water in the fresh water tank and turn on the pump. With all valves at sinks and shower, etc. closed, the pump should build pressure and shut off. If it stays shut off you have no leaks. If it cycles periodically with no valves being opened then you have a leak.

Another way to check system is to put a pressure gauge on the system and charge with compressed air. Watch the gauge and if it doesn't loose pressure you have no leaks.

I know nothing about the Oasis system. Someone else will have to help you there.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #13

I would make notes about all these great ideas and issues, and go through them one at a time with the dealer. Make sure they are all addressed throughly. And be sure they agree to be at risk if anything else shows up later. Maybe a trip to Newmar for their assistance and verifications as well??? Obviously, this is pretty serious. First time I have read a thread like this...in particular 007's comments about potential unseen leaks and Rotten's pressure checks.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote