Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #1

Am I dumb or lazy?

The passenger rear brake light and turn signal went out on my recently purchased 08 MountainAire. My attempts to search the forum don't seem to serve up the relevant postings on anything I look for. I have read the "how to search" and am technically savvy, yet still have not figured out how to get better results...that is why I may be lazy. Have I just not spent enough time learning? In any regards, let's go with lazy right now. Can anyone tell me 1. where the fuse may be for the passenger rear brake light/turn signal? 2. how to remove the bulb to check for the part number and if it is burned out? 3. Is there separate bulbs for brake and turn (I assume one since they are both out)? After new tires and a complete chassis service, I am deflated with this new problem. Any guidance will be appreciated.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimonson View Post
The passenger rear brake light and turn signal went out on my recently purchased 08 MountainAire. My attempts to search the forum don't seem to serve up the relevant postings on anything I look for. I have read the "how to search" and am technically savvy, yet still have not figured out how to get better results...that is why I may be lazy. Have I just not spent enough time learning? In any regards, let's go with lazy right now. Can anyone tell me 1. where the fuse may be for the passenger rear brake light/turn signal? 2. how to remove the bulb to check for the part number and if it is burned out? 3. Is there separate bulbs for brake and turn (I assume one since they are both out)? After new tires and a complete chassis service, I am deflated with this new problem. Any guidance will be appreciated.
I am not familiar with your coach but I can think of three or four locations where that particular fuse might be on our 1999 MA. It has a fuse panel under the dash DS, another one behind the dash board and one more under the bed DS. Possibly one in line on the brake light. The light could possibly be removed by finding the insert behind the rear light and 1/4 turning the socked which will come out of the housing and should have the bulb in it. Be careful as it might be corroded in to the socket. WD 40 and gentle coaxing is needed in this case. Or if there are screws in the tail light lense then removing the lens should provide access to the bulb. Same corrosion caution applies.

Good luck and let us know please.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At the top of the forum page there is a small field that says "powered by Google" with a search button beside it. I put "mountain aire rear light fuse" into the field and searched and it came back with several threads that might be helpful. Make sure the "iRV2com" option is selected below the search field.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

Doubtful the left and right lamps are on different fuses. Probably the bulb, or bad ground to that light.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi leesimonson,
All automotive fuses are located in a basement compartment. Driver's side, most forward compartment. This will be under the driver's side window. You will need a magnifying glass to read the legend and fuse numbers. However, like Finance posted there may be only one fuse for the lights. If there are no screws on the outside of the lenses. Look inside to determine how to access the bulbs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #6

leesimonson-

Pardon me for not knowing this... but does your MA have a Spartan or Freightliner chassis?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi l1v3fr33ord1,
In 08 it would have been a Spartan K2 chassis.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
On my 09 4304 Dutch Aire the fuses were located in the battery compartment in a small cubby on the right lower side. Also some in front electrical compartment front of tire on driver side.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
If your front panel diagram in the Big Book is like mine, it doesn't match what's in your coach. I acquired this from someone while chasing a headlight problem. It was obscured by a relay and I would never have found it. It could have saved me $$, maybe it will help you. This is the correct diagram for the Spartan Front Fuse Panel. Look on the upper right corner and see if these are the correct fuses.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spartan Front Fuse Panel.pdf (588.6 KB, 45 views)
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #10

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Let me answer a couple of questions you nice folks have asked. This MA is on a spartan chassis. I paged through the big Spartan book but did not find anything on fuse locations or bulb replacements. I did find the forward fuse location under the driver's window. After scanning these two boards with my naked (fuzzy) eye, I did not see a specific fuse for rear lights of any kind. I tend to think a fuse would control both taillights. I took photos to zoom in on them and will look at them next.

I learned some further info today: There are 6 bulbs per taillight. All 6 work with the lights "on". So the taillights work. What the 4 inner bulbs (that lite for brakes and turns) don't do is brighten as a brake or turn signal is pressed. Maybe there are two filaments in these 4 bulbs and one filament burned out in all of them?

There are no external screws, there are nuts inside the rear cap that I expect hold the lens on.

The "new" event that occurred prior to them not working was an oil change, air filter check, low coolant sensor replacement and a generator annual oil change/service. They power-washed coolant from the engine at the end. My bride noticed the lights out on our way home from the shop.

The Spartan authorized shop had no idea past "jiggle some wires" &"check the fuses". The learning continues...Monday. Thanks all.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Did you find the Buss Fuse Panel or box Mine is located in the battery compartment in a lower right box in that compartment. In that box are several fuses and square things about 1/2 inch I can't remember what they are called, all light and signal related fuses were there, at least on mine. If you do not find the buse box call Spartan and ask where it is. The Box is maybe 6 or 8 inches by 8 inches and has a black Plastic cover. My issue was those little square things and you can buy at NAPA
Old 03-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think you have four lights that went bad at the same time. More likely, you have a brake switch that went bad. Because you have air brakes, the switch is a pressure switch, different than what you see in a passenger car. You might call Spartan and ask where that switch is located, either inside or outside the firewall.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Your Spartan K2 chassis has the fuses and relays for the rear tail lights and turn signals inside a small black box located on your passenger side frame rail facing outward. On your 2008 MADP open the third baggage door from the front, passenger side and look up at the heavy steel frame member. Unscrew the large plastic knob on the box. The layout for the fuses and relays are on the reverse side of the cover you just removed.

Think you will find it is a simple fuse problem.
Attached Images

shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
Your Spartan K2 chassis has the fuses and relays for the rear tail lights and turn signals inside a small black box located on your passenger side frame rail facing outward. On your 2008 MADP open the third baggage door from the front, passenger side and look up at the heavy steel frame member. Unscrew the large plastic knob on the box. The layout for the fuses and relays are on the reverse side of the cover you just removed.

Think you will find it is a simple fuse problem.

Shaman beat me to it. Same thing except left side happened to me about 4 months ago. It’s a fuse in the location described above. Don’t bother trying to get to the lamps or check bulbs. Simple quick fix once you locate said fuse box.
BW in TX is offline   Reply With Quote