RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #1

Amber check engine light!

I'm posting this to hopefully help someone else out. I'm driving in the middle of no where in Wy. and my check engine light comes on. Every thing feels fine and all gauges are normal. I make it in to Cheyenne and after 1 1/2 hours on the phone I have found no help. I called Nappanee and after talking to them they were able to get me connected to freightliner.( I couldn't do this myself). I read the fault codes on the dash and they told me they were having a problem with the sensor sending to the computer and to watch my gauges and keep driving. After 225 miles the light goes off. Several shops told me to come in and they would get to me in 3 or 4 days. Nappanee was great in helping me out. This was on my 2019 DS with 9000 miles on it. Hope this helps someone else.

taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #2

Guess I was just lucky. I had my check engine light come on in southern Utah a couple months ago, pretty rural area. There was a FL service center within 100 miles so I stopped there and they cleared it for me.

So far (knocking on wood) I haven't had to call any type of main FL service number.

FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #3

I had a yellow fault code on my 19 that was coming back as insufficient time allowed for diesel glow plugs prior to starting. The Freightliner rep told me no problems, it would clear after 3 start ups and it thankfully did.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I got a code reader for $13 on the net and it allows me to check the code and clear it if it is not a problem. The codes can be interpreted online. If the light is not blinking then it is not an immediate problem but you do need to it. I once ignored a code that came and went and it turned out to ne the coilovers which nearly stranded me in the bottom of Death Valley!
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner has an APP called Freightliner 24/7. It's a black APP with red/white lettering that says 24/7. The app has a couple of nice features. The first one is a direct number to Freightliner Help. The second one is on the second page of the APP. It has a picture of all the "ididot" lights and what they're for.

"FSU Camper"....when you first turn the ignition key on, typically all the indicator lights will go off, except one yellow engine light in the middle. If you wait about 20 seconds for that light to go off, you won't trigger the glow plug light.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
DSDon is spot on; don't be in a hurry to start the engine. Let the yellow check engine light go out before activating the starter. You will save yourself a lot of grief by doing so.

TJ
Old 09-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
DSDon is spot on; don't be in a hurry to start the engine. Let the yellow check engine light go out before activating the starter. You will save yourself a lot of grief by doing so.

TJ
If you have someone turn the key, {but not engage the starter}, while you stand outside, you will hear a whole series of relays engaging. The clicks can take 10 seconds or so. When you turn the key, it sets a whole chain of things in action. The computer checks that the tranny is in neutral, you might have a lockout that wont allow it to start with slides out, jacks down, etc, etc, etc,. Once all the checks give the go ahead, you are safe to start the engine. Engaging the starter before all the checks are done, might produce an engine warning light. Most rvs have a wait to start light to prevent this.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #8

check oil level, that is a common reason for a check engine light (yellow). you may be one gallon low on oil.

bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, light