Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #1

Amish cooling unit fans

Question for those if you that have the Amish cooling unit. Do the fans on the Amish cooling unit run almost 100% of the time? My old Norcold unit only ran the fans during the day and when it was hot.

Dave
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
They shouldn't run much different then before.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also depends where you mount the thermal switch. If the switch is mounted to the stock position the fans will run more often. RV cooling warehouse recommends a different mounting location if you want the fans to run less often. Take a look at the instructions that came with your cooling unit, I think I remember a description of this in the instructions.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I installed my Amish cooling unit last fall. I installed the temp sensor in the "cooler" location. I also installed an on/off switch to manually control the fans.

The only time the fans stop is when I turn them off with the switch. I have been thinking about pulling the reefer out of the wall and changing the heat range on the sensor.

With summer kicking in now, the reefer cools fine without the fans on until the reefer kicks off with a "no co" code on the door. Fans are running 24/7 to prevent shut-down.

Also the fans are loud and somewhat objectionable when we are in the MH.

Oh Well!! The ice cream stays hard.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

The Amish guys installed mine. It was installed more toward the middle and not up high. It did not last long, ran most of the time and then started cycling rapidly second or two off and on. I did install a bypass switch earlier and now it is turned on with constant fan running. I am so glad that I installed that switch due to reading on here.
David Force stats new thermo switch is 125 deg and original 130. No point in pulling out and replacing switch it is going to run all the time anyway.
So far this unit does not cool any better than the working Norcold unit.
Hoping to not have failed Norcold unit and possible fire.

Dave
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Before I installed the Amish cooling unit the fan ran most of the time, now I very seldom hear it. I installed the original sensor back in the original location. I have a gang of four fans I'm going to install, may run two of them off the sensor and the other two off a switch.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
So far this unit does not cool any better than the working Norcold unit.
Hoping to not have failed Norcold unit and possible fire.

Dave
I had a similar outcome in my previous Adventurer. I was glad to get rid of the darn recall board and feel safer. Yes, I did get some improvement but not much. I truly believe it was not the fault of either cooling unit as much as it was the space behind the Norcold. I think there was too much dead space and that caused reduced airflow problems over the coils.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling