Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Amp Draws

We are going to the Tampa Rally in January and this will be our first experience with 30amp service and dry camping. We have a 2014 Ventana (4037). I have seen over the past years several posts which summarized the various amp draws of major components, but after two hours tonight searching the forum I cannot find the list. Does anyone have something handy to post which shows approximate draws for roof AC, microwave, reefer, battery charger, etc.

In a similar vein, what are the consequences of (potentially) over-drawing on 30amp service? Will we trip a breaker somewhere in the coach system, or will appliances/components just not work when the total draw exceeds 30amps?

Thanks for any help.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Assuming you don't have an Energy Management System in your coach, you'll probably just trip the breaker at the post if you try and draw too much current. Be advised though that the power systems at a lot of these rallies are usually temporary setups run off portable generators and surface laid temporary wiring / distribution systems. Low voltages and less than rated current capacity is typical. The good news is this. You probably won't have to work your air conditioner all that hard in Tampa during the SuperShow. It's generally pretty cool. Thirty amp power, even the whacky temporary kind will probably meet your needs. If not, just run your generator. Show up with a full gas tank and and empty holding tanks! See ya at the Show!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 PM   #3

Here is a link that may help: Solar Design Worksheet
Old 12-30-2016, 09:46 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's mine, which will get you close. The numbers in (parens) are the 'actual'. Small print at the bottom shows amperage at different heat level of dryer, and the differences when the washer is spinning or washing. Refrig shows value in normal compressor running, but also if it shifts into defrosting mode. I also show both modes of the Convection/Mwave oven.

Other high current draws specific to your model devices are coffee maker, toaster, hair dryer, 13amp for space heaters, etc.

The converter amperage used is configurable in the Magnum controller, and I adjust it down to minimum when plugged into either 20 or 30 amp. Shift H2O heater to propane.

Since your coach is wired for 50amp, the breaker that will trip if you exceed a combined total of 30amps is the shorepower post breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	70
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	147861  
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

MD-Keith Don't worry my friend- we've been at the Tampa Super Show numerous time & connected to 30 amp electrical service and not had a problem. You can run 2 of your roof A/C - they draw about 13 amps each along with your residential refridge - 5 -8 amps. You will have to shut off an A/C when using the microwave coffee pot or toaster, etc. . If you have a Silverleaf control system you can set the auto load shed to 30 amps. The worst that will occur if you overdraw while on auto load shed is you'll have something shut down.

For a listing of all RV amp loads go to the web site - KOA.com/RV converters & Amp draws. They have just about everything listed there.

Happy New Year
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just like Capt Bill said...
You shouldn't need to worry in Tampa. 30amp is plenty.
It's January and not real hot or cold. You can probably get away with 1 AC.
For heat and hot water we set the Oasis to burner instead of electric.
You're not likely to use the dishwasher or Washer/Dryer due to waste tank conservation, so those won't be drawing power.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:20 AM   #7

Darn! Here I've been going to this rally now for three years and didn't know I was supposed to worry about all this stuff.
Maybe since we've got a new coach I should worry more. 😬 Just come on and enjoy, Tampa is great in January, except for the threat of tornados last year....
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:24 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What happens if you try to draw more than 30 amps.. Generally the park breaker trips and you have to go out and reset it.. Why the parks and not yours? Well for starters yours are 50 amps.. So it will be the park that trips.

now, Amp draw varies device to device but ..
I have a pair of 15000 BTU Rooftop AC's
One draws 13.5 amps, the other more (alas the instruction manual for it does not list and I don't have the cover off just now but I think it is 13.9)

This is running of course, Starting current,, The "Smaller" one dims the lights, the bigger one does not. (Figure that one out folks.. Well the Bigger one "Soft starts").

Figure up to 5x the running current but.. Not for enough time to trip the breaker.

Fridge is around 3-3.5 amps
Microwave 10-12
Space heaters 12 each (NOTE: I do not recommend them on RV type outlets (Quick box) I put in special 15/20 amp Heavy Duty wall outlets, These take either standard 15 or standard 20 amp plugs but it's how they connect that is important, 12ga wire bent around a scew, not a Punch Down type connection, lots of contact area, Not much resistance) each with 12ga wire back to a circuit breaker, one to an outlet.

The converter in my coach draws between 1 and 11 amps, depending on the battery condition and the lights I have on.

Furnace is a 12 volt device (Affects converter)
Lights, Fans, and such, Likewise

Tv's draw a small amount, and the house radio, in my case, around 2-5 amps (it is a Home Theater with serious wattage).

Most computers draw less than one amp most of the time Some desktops can go 2-3 if they are gaming machines.

Printers, Ink-jet also 1-2 operating, less on "Standby" Laser 10-12 operating, less on standby.

Kitchen gear.. Turn it over and read the label. All over the place but usually less than 12.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:31 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your shore power post has a separate 15/20 amp plug and you can run an extension cord directly to your RR that helps with starting loads ...
Old 01-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the help and wisdom. I think I have this sorted out now. If not, look for me out by the power pole in a cloud of blue smoke...
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote