Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
An RV Ladder for use at home

Since the purchase of my 2019 DS, with no rear ladder, I've been trying to find one for the house that I can comfortably/safely use to access the roof. I'm not a spring chicken and I'm not as steady on a ladder as I use to be. I have a 17' Little Giant, but found it was a lot of work to open and use for RV projects. Even though it safely reached the roof, stepping off of it and onto the roof was difficult and I didn't feel comfortable swinging a leg around one side of the ladder, over the façade, and then stepping down onto the roof.

My kids bought me this 16' Werner ladder for Christmas. I wanted a one piece ladder I could leave alongside the coach or under it (no assembly needed, like my Little Giant). I don't have a lot of walk around room, around the coach, so I'm limited to the type of ladder I can use.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-1...16-1/203134380

It was still an issue to swing around one side of the ladder and onto the roof. I intentionally bought the 16' ladder so I could cut 3' off of one side at the top and use the remaining side as a handle to walk thru the ladder, rather than around the side. That worked, but I later saw these......Guardian Fall Protection Arms. They slide onto the end of the ladder and give you a wide berth to walk between them with support on both sides.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut the other side of the ladder off (removed three rungs) and installed the Guardian rails. The final product is soooo nice to use and I don't feel any anxiety stepping off the ladder onto the roof. The rails are fairly light and it was probably a wash as to the weight of them, versus what I cut off.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to you use, but if you're just not as comfortable on a ladder anymore, this is really a great way to access the roof. Handling it/lifting it up to the roof, isn't any different than dealing with the Little Giant.....walk it up like a fireman does. It's weather proof and I don't feel bad about leaving it outside. The rails also come with rubber strips where they lay against the coach roof. The total cost was about $325.00.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190219_145228.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	556.1 KB
ID:	235508

Name:	20190219_145118.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	235509
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Don - One bit of advice given to me by our dealer when we picked up our coach. Do not use the rear of the coach for ladder placement. Use the side as those fairings are stronger and the attachment is more robust. I usually place the ladder between the two slides on the passenger side. If I fall I will land on the slide whether I fall left or right.:>)

Tom
Old 02-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I appreciate the info, but I can't use the ladder on the sides, I don't have room.....my coach parks within two feet of the house and a wall on the other side. You can see how close I am in the photos. This also makes for a pain as none of my large bay doors will fully open.

I did check before going crazy and I found that the rear spoiler is very robust, especially if you use it right in the middle. Using the sides would be great if I could. I would advise anyone doing so, to note where the braces are and locate the ladder at a brace.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:03 AM   #4

Don-

Thanks for letting us know about this product! Our coach has an attached ladder, but these extensions could work well for the ladder I use to get on the house's roof.

For those who have the space, and might be looking for a stepladder to work alongside the coach, I recommend the Werner "Podium" ladders. Here is a link to the one I bought. They come in different heights. The "twelve-foot" allows me to comfortably and safely reach the roof edge. Surprisingly, it weighs little more than our six-foot fiberglass ladder.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:18 AM   #5

Thanks for posting this, as one that is paranoid about falling, I fell and broke my back in 2010 (split compression fracture of L2), and spent several years recovering from the injury, I appreciate anything that makes climbing safer and easier.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #6

always wanted one of these....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00H0H_jwTgTGEtT51_600x450.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	235548  
Old 02-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
A different approach for us more senior folks: an extremely compact way to clean and maintain the roof of your coach. It is commonly referred to as a "credit card" and works great with my trusted detail guy!

"No man over the age of 60 belongs above the first step on a ladder!"

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #8

I bought a rolling staircase at a store closing auction a few years ago. It allows for easy roof work access though I sometimes wish it was taller as the standing platform is at 5.5 feet
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
tcg

If it's for use at home these are a little pricey but it won't get any safer than this. They have various sizes.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...th-10-Top-Step

I work in the boating industry and those things are nice for boarding really big boats shored up really high.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If I had the space on both sides of the coach, I would have a rolling platform. I would even go as far as adding a motor or a pulley system so I could easily wax the upper part of the coach while sitting comfortably. I wax the lower part now by sitting on a rolling mechanic's chair....up to about 5' high.

It would be nice to just pay someone to come out and wash and wax, but I'm pretty nutty about doing things myself. I often find small issues before they become big issues. Yesterday, while waxing, I found one if the back up lights had water in it. I also found and tightened two fender supports the first time I waxed it.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
always wanted one of these....
I have / use a JLG 600A man lift myself It's parked right now next to the RV, but it's too dark out to take a pic. Pic is of very similar.

I have power washed the RV roof using it...but it's too much effort to start, move, and overkill for anything RV related.

In reality, I use a Harbor Freight 12 ft. collapsible ladder for all RV tasks. Fits in the baggage compartment when folded.

When doing paint work, I use several 10 and 12' step ladders to access the sides without leaning on the RV.

Might just use the JLG for waxing / buffing the RV...that would be a good job for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	235592  
Old 02-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Don-

Thanks for letting us know about this product! Our coach has an attached ladder, but these extensions could work well for the ladder I use to get on the house's roof.

For those who have the space, and might be looking for a stepladder to work alongside the coach, I recommend the Werner "Podium" ladders. Here is a link to the one I bought. They come in different heights. The "twelve-foot" allows me to comfortably and safely reach the roof edge. Surprisingly, it weighs little more than our six-foot fiberglass ladder.
That could double as a way to get out of our bedroom push out emergency escape window. Just set it up outside the window and chain it to something secure.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
A different approach for us more senior folks: an extremely compact way to clean and maintain the roof of your coach. It is commonly referred to as a "credit card" and works great with my trusted detail guy!

"No man over the age of 60 belongs above the first step on a ladder!"

TJ
Mind if I borrow yours Jim?
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:34 PM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
Mind if I borrow yours Jim?
Sure! I can put you in touch with our detailer. No problem. You will need to use your own credit card, however. Oh, and you'll need to find your own way to Polson, Montana.

Glad to help.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote