Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #15

Hey, those SS panels look great!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
They do dress the coach up and its great to hear your still moving.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #17

I'm now in Billings, Montana. We have had terrible head winds. Yesterday 30 knots gusting 35. Today started at 20 knots reducing through the day to near zero. Fuel milage sucks big time. Less than six for both days with yesterday at near 5.1. I have been driving 60/62/65/68/70/72 MPH depending on the mood and road conditions. Ran in snow this morning about 10 with temps at 27 degrees F.
All and all, What a Ride!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:45 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe Brazels will come up with a reprogram of computer for better mileage someday for DP's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:30 PM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

OK folks....I'm all ready for those "positive Newmar Essex experiences" that Lug Nut speaks of...

I'll be headed out early afternoon Sunday, heading to Wilmington NC to the dealer for a couple of days and then heading toward Kerrville on Wednesday...

Wish me luck!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #20

Arrived In Coeur D'Alene Idaho after a breif stop in Missoula Montana at the Allison dealer to get the 5k filter change at 4450 miles. Let's get it over.
Additionally I ran some mountains hard. So hard on the Jake that the drive belts for the fan drive touched the corner of the hitch frame. No real damage to the belts. Had the tension checked and modified the corner of the upper hitch bracket in 2 minutes with a grinder. No problem now and it's running great.
I have some other observations which I will expand on when I get to a faster internet. None bad.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #21
Administrator Emeritus

At least he's TRYING to break his.....mine has broken without trying!!
Old 10-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
Arrived In Coeur D'Alene Idaho after a breif stop in Missoula Montana at the Allison dealer to get the 5k filter change at 4450 miles. Let's get it over.
Additionally I ran some mountains hard. So hard on the Jake that the drive belts for the fan drive touched the corner of the hitch frame. No real damage to the belts. Had the tension checked and modified the corner of the upper hitch bracket in 2 minutes with a grinder. No problem now and it's running great.
I have some other observations which I will expand on when I get to a faster internet. None bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lug, when did you get the Essex? Reason I ask is that the latest Allison transmissions have a new high density filter set and if you got one of those, you don't have to do the 5k change any longer.

Don
Old 10-13-2006, 09:07 PM   #23

I got it on August 28th, factory delivery and PDI. I ordered it however on April 10th. Long delivery was due to options that were not available and had to be designed. The manuals did indicate the normal lube filter change at the 5k.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:35 AM   #24
Administrator Emeritus

Don, I took delivery of my coach on July 7th and I my coach number is two before Peter's...

We both have been to Allison and had our 5K service done and not heard anything of the new filter.
I would be curious to find out if Allison is even telling Spartan of this change and if so,what the "start" chassis serial number is...
Old 10-14-2006, 04:03 AM   #25

Here it is. Be sure to read everything with respect to the 3000 MH and 4000 MH. It also has the serial numbers and I doubt if your units have the new filters.

I will send a reference to another document in a few minutes as it is also very relevant. When I informed MCC owners on a yahoo forum that they MUST register their transmission to get the extended warranty there were a lot of disbelievers. Many called Allison, found out it was true, and have now registered. Effective with units sold after July 1 (as you will see in the warranty doc I'll send link for shortly) that will no longer be necessary.

Don

1099e
Old 10-14-2006, 04:17 AM   #26

There have been some significant changes in Allison's warranty policy. For one, registration to get the 5 year 200,000 mile warranty is no longer required BUT those delivered before July 1 MUST register if they want the extended warranty - otherwise it will be two years. Many on a MCC forum (you will notice that the MCC is not busy here and that is because MCC owners seem to prefer the yahoo groups) got a shock when I pointed this out and dozens have checked and registerd before the time limit expired (Allison is not playing hardball on this).

Some reading (and read the asterik below the table very carefully)

Allison warranty policy

Don
Old 10-14-2006, 04:27 AM   #27
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks for the info Don....haven't had time to read all of the first link,or any of the second link but from what I did read it looks like our next "change" will mean us all going high density...

IRT to the Monaco folks preferring the Yahoo forum, I'm hoping more and more of the Yahoo crowd will matriculate over here and post some as well.

While the Yahoo "email based" forums have been around a while, I think iRV2 has a lot to offer in the way of "real time" posting and photo displays directly in your posts.

I do keep an eye on the Newmar Yahoo forums,but they're only as good as when the moderator gets home and moderates the posts and I've tired of that process.

With iRV2 it is entirely possible to post a question and receive an answer within minutes...
While that may not be important to most, in the event you're trying to fix something,it sure is nice.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:46 AM   #28

Bob, I understand your points but they suddenly have an extremely active group at Monacoers. A lot of MCC owners gravitated over from a couple of other sites and to give you an example of the activity, so far this month there have been 958 posts - an average of over 68 per day.

Many of the participants are on the road and a lot use POTS to connect to the net.

I too prefer a web based system but 99.99% of the time I'm on a high speed or ultra high speed pipe with 6mb download and 800k upload. I can understand the views of those piddling around with 56k (only in dream world) which is often 40kbits at best.

I was fairly certain you'd find those two Allison docs interesting. Every owner should download and read. It can be an expensive proposition if one has a problem and warranty has expired. From what I've seen costs for repairs are frequently $7k or more.

Don