RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #1

..And Yet another recall

Got this one today pertaining to brake lights. Seems chassis manufactured from Feb 1, 2013-June 1, 2015 with adjustable foot pedals, the tail lights may stay illuminated after the brake is released along with the toad tail lights. Really not good if you have a toad brake system that is activated by brake lights I I just love getting this kind of news just prior to leaving on a trip!

srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Just as added info this is a Freightliner chassis recall.

BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #3

you are correct about the recall. it is FL704A. spoke to freightliner and they say there are parts available and it takes about an hour to complete. got mine scheduled to be done when i take it in for them to sign off on the steering gear recall. hope this is it for recalls.

not to serious. worst that can happen is if you are towing a toad that relies on the brake signal is that the brakes stayed locked up, overheats and catches fire. unlike the steering recall where you could possibly loose steering, crash and die. (sarcasm)
Old 06-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #4

May want to look at this post - Specifically see Post #5 there

Brake lights are staying on

It took the Local Freightliner dealer a couple of hours to do this work for me
bmfickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Cr^p.....I called Freightliner and mine is under recall. I love when they want you to JUST bring it in so they can double check the recall and order the parts. These guys don't have a clue what a pain it is to get a motor home out of storage or wherever it's parked and JUST bring it by!

From what was described in the post regarding the steering gear repair, an "A" after the recall meant replace where a "B" meant inspect or replace. I'm not going to be happy if mine is a replace and they're making me bring it in twice.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #6

RECALLS>>>>>>>>>>>

THE marketing tool of the 21st Century
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Cr^p.....I called Freightliner and mine is under recall. I love when they want you to JUST bring it in so they can double check the recall and order the parts. These guys don't have a clue what a pain it is to get a motor home out of storage or wherever it's parked and JUST bring it by!

From what was described in the post regarding the steering gear repair, an "A" after the recall meant replace where a "B" meant inspect or replace. I'm not going to be happy if mine is a replace and they're making me bring it in twice.
not to mention the cost of the diesel, the miles put on the motorhome and the time i could be doing something else. costs me about 50 bucks to get to the dealer and home. can i afford it, yah, would i rather spend it on a burger and beers at the local tiki bar, yah. maybe if they made the manufacturers reimburse us they might actually pay attention to what the F they are doing. maybe a little quality control?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wonder if there is any chance of getting the parts and doing it yourself.
How hard can a spring be???

I am going to call tomorrow...got the letter in the mail today.

Dan
Old 06-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I wonder if there is any chance of getting the parts and doing it yourself.
How hard can a spring be???

I am going to call tomorrow...got the letter in the mail today.

Dan
they say thats not an option. all about the legalities. they will not let you get out of going in with the steering gear recall if you have the number and are not affected.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Hey Don,

This past January I had to have my brake pedal switch AND accelerator pedal switch replaced. The turn signals would not work and the brake lights would stay on - and the cruise would not engage with the defective brake pedal switch. The accelerator pedal switch would not "0" out - so the Jake Brake would not engage. I found that using your foot to raise either the brake or accelerator pedal from the backside of the pedals would place the switches in the correct position - until you used the pedals again. I agree - not a great temporary solution - but one that permitted us to arrive at our destination. It's unclear if others will have the same problem with the accelerator pedal - perhaps the parts are manufactured by the same vendor. It took two trips to the freightliner dealer to get both pedals fixed.
Jon Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stveteran View Post
they say thats not an option. all about the legalities. they will not let you get out of going in with the steering gear recall if you have the number and are not affected.
Just for the sake of argument, what if I had the recall done, and next year I somehow broke the spring. Could I order the spring from the parts department?

Such a pain bringing it in for service.

Dan
Old 06-09-2016, 10:44 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I called Freightliner and they specifically stated that my VIN required a repair, no need to inspect. I called the local Freightliner shop and said it needs to be inspected to see if it needs the repair. I asked them why Freightliner said differently. There was no winning the argument. I will be pissed if its obvious that it needs parts.

Does anyone know what the actual recall is repairing. I thought it said the whole assembly needed replacing, but some here are saying just a spring.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I called Freightliner and they specifically stated that my VIN required a repair, no need to inspect. I called the local Freightliner shop and said it needs to be inspected to see if it needs the repair. I asked them why Freightliner said differently. There was no winning the argument. I will be pissed if its obvious that it needs parts.

Does anyone know what the actual recall is repairing. I thought it said the whole assembly needed replacing, but some here are saying just a spring.
A single line in the recall notice states:
"To remedy the issue, a new torsion spring will be added to the pedal assembly to improve pedal return "

To me, that sounds like a short version of a screen door spring.
I get my coach tomorrow for a trip to Pismo Beach...and will have a look.

Dan
Old 06-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Quote:

Don,
I think they may be talking about two different recalls. The steering recall is an "inspect first" recall and the brake pedal spring recall is "parts necessary", repairs necessary if you got the notice. They had mine mixed up at Freightliner. Even after I told them the steering recall, they made the appointment for the brake deal only.

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall