RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #29

Steve

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was hoping to hear that the Ventana can handle the additional weight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #30

I may be biased, but I vote for the Jeep Liberty. I have no problems and love the Jeep...

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
We towed the Liberty for several years and loved it. Only problem was I'm a rather large individual and it was a little tight for me to get in. We now tow a Tahoe 4x4 and like it a lot better. Not much difference in fuel mileage on MH. Liberty got about 20 but the Tahoe only gets about 17.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
A friend of mine just bought the Jeep SRT8 and loves the power, so if you really like performance, it's a great option to look at. A little pricy at the mid 60's, but what the heck.

SRT8's are not flat towable and you can't put a receiver on them either.
No neutral in the transfer case and the exhaust exits through where a receiver would be.

Or we'd have one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have towed my 2008 Toyota Access Cab V6, AT, 4x4, Remco DSC behind my 2012 Bay Star 2901 for about 6K miles so far this year with no problems. I like the Tacoma's quite, smooth, and powerful highway ride (24 MPH) and can carry more stuff than a CJ5 or CVS in the bed, and the Tacoma is more versetile for suburban home chores. When off roading in Death Valley, or else where, I drop my tail gate at lunch time and use the chuck wagon gear to prepare great hot food, BBQ, kielbasa sandwiches, etc. while the Jeepers watch with a PB&J in their hands. I can run the same grade 3 & 4 trails with the Jeeps.

With full water, fuel, and toad weight about 4,700 lbs. (on the way to the 49ers Annual Encampment) I climbed I-15's Cajon Pass at 51 MPH.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your RV is a Diesel, the difference in weight won't much matter. If it is a gasser it is possible the heavier towed candidate will be too heavy and exceed either the hitch rating (normally 5,000 pounds on gassers) or the available combined gross vehicle weight (Which can be less).

If it is a Diesel, then I would suggest you wait thill you have eyes on to decide, here is why... Assuming both vehicles can be towed 4-down with only minimal modification (Addition of base plate, breaking system and tow light sytem) then the height of the base plate connection on one will most likely be higher than the other.

Beyond that... I prefer Jeeps. but that is a personal preference and not necessarly the best choice from a physics standpoint.

(And on my towed,, There is indeed a jeep (Which I hope to buy) that is within 3 inches, In fact only Jeep comes that high)

use the one that MOST CLOSELY matches the height of the hitch receiver on the motor home.

Reason: you want the two ends of the tow bar (Assuming a straight bar) within around about 3 inches of each other height wise (Per Blue-OX and Roadmaster both) Now you can use a drop (Or rise) hitch adapter to increase or decrease the receiver height but if you do a 10,0000 pound diesel hitch goes 9K 8K 7K 6K and so on very very fast due to the torque such adapters put on the end brackets..

Thus you want to start with the two matched as close as possible.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If your RV is a Diesel, the difference in weight won't much matter. If it is a gasser it is possible the heavier towed candidate will be too heavy and exceed either the hitch rating (normally 5,000 pounds on gassers) or the available combined gross vehicle weight (Which can be less).

If it is a Diesel, then I would suggest you wait thill you have eyes on to decide, here is why... Assuming both vehicles can be towed 4-down with only minimal modification (Addition of base plate, breaking system and tow light sytem) then the height of the base plate connection on one will most likely be higher than the other.

Beyond that... I prefer Jeeps. but that is a personal preference and not necessarly the best choice from a physics standpoint.

(And on my towed,, There is indeed a jeep (Which I hope to buy) that is within 3 inches, In fact only Jeep comes that high)

use the one that MOST CLOSELY matches the height of the hitch receiver on the motor home.

Reason: you want the two ends of the tow bar (Assuming a straight bar) within around about 3 inches of each other height wise (Per Blue-OX and Roadmaster both) Now you can use a drop (Or rise) hitch adapter to increase or decrease the receiver height but if you do a 10,0000 pound diesel hitch goes 9K 8K 7K 6K and so on very very fast due to the torque such adapters put on the end brackets..

Thus you want to start with the two matched as close as possible.
O.K. I was not aware that a drop or rise would have an impact on towing, so thanks for the post. Now, I'll have a cummins ISB with 360 HP, a GVWR of 32,000 lbs. and a GCWR of 42,000 lbs, does this imply that I can tow a 10,000 lb. toad??
lass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Deek,

Since your Ventana 3433 is basically the same weight and HP as my 3434, I'm curious about the pulling power of the MH with and without a toad. Do you notice any significant difference in performance and / or MPG?

I also noticed that your a car nut. I have a 1961 Corvette and buy my BMW's just around the corner from you at Newmotors.

How about that??!! I have had plenty of and loved all of the BMW's I have bought at New Motors over the years. Out of graduate school, I started with a Honda Accord, traded for a new Volvo 240 sedan at New (one of my all time favorite cars), went to BMW 528e and never looked back. Today finds me still enamored of Mercedes diesel and Porsche but BMW is still every bit as good as they always have been and I'd own another in a heartbeat. The people at New have been very nice to deal with over the years. Perhaps you know George Lyons in the Corvette category? Good friend of mine and a REAL car nut.

You will have no worries with the Ventana 3434 as to towing, Lass. We really didn't notice much difference either in power or mileage with the CR-V ("Charlie") being towed. We got about 9 mpg no matter what we did as long as we kept the speed between 65-68 mph. The Ventana is simply a really, really nice rig, very responsive, quiet and stable and she will obediently do all you ask of her.

That being said, I think you are well advised to spend the money to get a very good hook up for the toad -- that to me is more important than what you tow.

We have been very pleased with the combo we have and will definitely keep it for the Dutchie. In the time I have been on the Forum, I have read lots and lots of comments about the Air Force One and I have yet to find any legit criticism. That has been our experience too.

Best regards and congratulations on your Ventana choice. You made a smart choice!

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2020 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 / Freightliner with DriveTech / All Electric / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #37

Speaking of BMW's, has anyone used one as a toad. I have a Mazda Miata that we have towed for several years, but want to switch to a BMW Z3'or Z4 with standard transmission. Can't find Roadmaster or BlueOX plates, but have not discussed this with either company. Using a trailer is not an option that I am interested in.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
Speaking of BMW's, has anyone used one as a toad. I have a Mazda Miata that we have towed for several years, but want to switch to a BMW Z3'or Z4 with standard transmission. Can't find Roadmaster or BlueOX plates, but have not discussed this with either company. Using a trailer is not an option that I am interested in.
I spoke to BMW and asked if any of their new vehicle were flat towable and was told specifically that they are not, and since I owned 2 BMW's and a Corvette, I had to make a decision on a toad. Decide to keep the Corvette and X3, and traded the 328 convertible for a Honda CR-V EX L. Next step is to get the base plate installed. Called Blue Ox for details on their base plate and was told that the front grill on the Honda would have to be trimmed, so I'll research the other manufacturers before I commit to an install.
lass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
I like the Tacoma's quite, smooth, and powerful highway ride (24 MPH) and can carry more stuff than a CJ5 or CVS in the bed, and the Tacoma is more versetile for suburban home chores.

Not to highjack the tread, but I thought I should let you know: Jeep started making larger models in 1976 (excluding the CJ6).

The latest model even has 4 doors, not kidding or anything. Fuel injection and everything.

You should stop buy a dealership sometime just see.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #40

Called Blue Ox for details on their base plate and was told that the front grill on the Honda would have to be trimmed, so I'll research the other manufacturers before I commit to an install.[/QUOTE]

I went through the same process as you in deciding between a jeep and CRV. It was a hard decision but I ended up with the Honda and have been very happy. I got the Blue Ox base plate and didn't want to tackle the mounting installation on my new car. Besides the cutting, I just didn't want it put back together in a sloppy way if I did it myself. So I asked a local body shop I liked if they would do this for me and they agreed. Who better to disassemble and reassemble a car than a body shop, right? They did a perfect job including modification of the brake lights and professionally hiding the wiring. If I remember right, the labor was around $350.00. By the way, YouTube has some good installation videos if you want to see what's involved. Good luck with your choice of tow bars.
Gary

Tags
toad