Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #1

My new class A has analog TV's with reception problems. At one campground I got good reception and clear picture but at Ft.Wilderness and others when using shore power I get diagonal lines running through the picture. When I turn on other electrical items the lines will change. Is there a filter that I can put on the electical input or the antenna input that would eliminate this? No problems with DVD reception.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #2

My new class A has analog TV's with reception problems. At one campground I got good reception and clear picture but at Ft.Wilderness and others when using shore power I get diagonal lines running through the picture. When I turn on other electrical items the lines will change. Is there a filter that I can put on the electical input or the antenna input that would eliminate this? No problems with DVD reception.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #3

Is your problem with cable hookup or no cable hookup and using the roof antenna?

I've read that you have to turn off the antenna booster when using cable hookups.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #4

Sorry I did not mentionthat. I was using the antenna as my site did not have cable but sites that I've stayed at with cable worked just fine.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #5

My old analogue tv got really bad reception off of the bat wing. I have since put in a new flat screen with digital tuner and I now get full HD reception off of that same bat wing. Looks as if I connected cable TV to it. Just amazing. If at all possible, get rid of that tube analogue tv and get a new digital TV. Its worth it...

Spartan Chassis MM
Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #6

Gasser, you may be right. A new LCD is on my short list of improvements.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make sure you get a HIGH DEFINITION/LCD (i.e. built in tuner)
Old 04-25-2008, 03:43 AM   #8

D in Davie,
In nearly all cases the kind of interference you are describing is caused by a cabling problem in your coach. Go to the back of your Video Control Center and wiggle the wires one by one and see if the picture gets better or worse. If the picture clears up (even for a second) you have found the problematic cable. Also it could be the VCC box itself. Try pushing the button in and out and see if the picture clears. If it's not at the VCC, it could be any of the other connections at the back of the TV, where the batwing cable connects to the power supply box, etc. Check every cable you can reach/find and hopefully you will find the solution to your interference.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a clear picture some places and diagonal lines other places, it is local interference not coach cabling. Local interference could be a stronger TV station, radio device, signal amplifiers and even AC/DC converters.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #10

Local interference is usually horizontal lines and diagonal lines (especially with little sparkling dots) is usually a cabling related problems. Certainly, if the interference goes away when you move to a new location then it is not cabling. You can check this is you are using a satellite receiver by changing from channel 3 to 4 or vice versa. If the problem remains the same it is most likely a cable. If it goes away it is local (usually a very strong local TV channel).
Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #11

D in Davie,

If you are not ready for that new LCD HD TV, another option is a digital tuner, like the one Winegard sells. Run your antenna coax to the digital tuner, and connect the component video output to your existing TV.

Digital should be less susceptible to interference.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #12

Thanks for the responses. I will be checking the connections tomorrow. I intend to spend a great deal of time in the unit soon and will make a decision then as to getting a digital tuner or a new LCD TV.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 AM   #13

Davie....Give the new LCD upgrade much consideration. I just replaced both of mine with larger LCD'S and could not be happier. Just a thought.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #14

If you have bad connections going to a new, old, whatever, TV you still have bad connections that you have to deal with. Before you waste a whole lot of money unnecessarily chasing a non-existent problem be sure that you know that you do or do not have a problem. I have updated my bedroom TV to a digital LCD (because I could do so without any major modifications) but I will leave the living room TV as is and add a converter when the time comes. However, if I had a cabling problem going to the front TV I would still have a cabling problem even with the converter or a new TV!