Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #1

Antenna/coax cable mystery

I have a question for everyone. There is a coax cable that terminates at a location in the ceiling of the bedroom about 30” aft of the water closet skylight. I am trying to figure out what this cable is for.

I could look at it from the roof, however it is under a solar panel. Which would, I believe, eliminate a functioning antenna.

Does anyone know what this cable is for? Where is the outside thermometer sending unit located?

Thanks,
Dean
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #2

I am assuming you are not the original owner so you don't know if that solar panel was original. I would guess that the coax was for an antenna and the original 12v power cable that came with it is being used by the solar panel to get power back to the battery.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #3

I asked a similar antenna question a few months ago

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/what...of-260517.html
Old 01-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

Thanks

azSkier,

Thanks for the post. I remember seeing the discussion a few months ago, but I had forgotten about it. I believe it is the outside AM/FM radio antenna. From the bedroom it runs down the wall right above the outside entertainment center.

I guess under the solar panel it doesn’t provide very good reception. Maybe now is the time to move it.

Thanks again,
Dean
Old 01-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is often a coax that terminates normally near center of the roof but it can be foreward or reareward .. It is for a rooftop Satellite antenna, There is often a 12 volt pair next to it as well.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumper View Post
I guess under the solar panel it doesn’t provide very good reception. Maybe now is the time to move it.
You must really like OTA radio in remote locations to consider putting new holes
in the fiberglass roof.

I preferred option B... Replace the pioneer radio with a modern head unit with USB and Bluetooth. This way, I can listen to my 3500 song collection on the USB and my wife can listen to her collection on her cell phone using bluetooth.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #7

Good Call

Good point azSkier. The only time I listen to the radio is on my commute home from work. And that is just to pass the time…but then I am all wound up when I get home. And, I don’t want to pass the time fast or get wound up tight when I’m out in the motorhome, so I think I will consider losing the antenna.

Thanks for jolting my brain that sometimes gets too focused on the end game.

Tags
antenna