Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Antifreeze Research

I have a 2012 DSDP with a Cummins 450 ISL. Started research by reading Newmar and Freightliner Ops in IRV2. Got a great baseline and then called Freightliner to validate information.

A Freightliner Tech by phone was very explicit about using only an Ethylene Glycol 50/50 mix , also “absolutely no extended life products”. He also stated for my machine, I will need 11 gallons total and should only have to change every five years, I have no records when I purchased RV and chassis was built October 2010, so hence the concern to change out. So I am at the five year mark now. Also, Freightliner Tech was very confident that to use any other blend of Antifreeze could have adverse effects on sensors and give false readings, not to mention shutting down the engine, risk is even higher if you mix different blends.

Also Ethylene Glycol 50/50 mix antifreeze can be checked with test strips, manufacture recommended every 6 months to measure I believe the Tech said SCA’s. (Not sure of the science, I'm sure it is a check to check antifreeze concentration ect..)

So some more research I found part number: FAF-FCA053, Product is labeled as Peak and it was $8.69 a gallon yesterday on sale at NAPA auto parts.

Please I am posting my experience and am in know way stating this is the only solution or product, if you disagree, I understand and probably have read your counter already; I am only stating my experience and am sticking with what Freightliner recommends.

If you are a Do-it-your-selfer I changed my Antifreeze and flushed my system at home in about two hours. Project was very easy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
SCA's are to protect against cavitation.
As with all things Motorhome any info is engine specific.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder4 View Post
I have a 2012 DSDP with a Cummins 450 ISL. Started research by reading Newmar and Freightliner Ops in IRV2. Got a great baseline and then called Freightliner to validate information.

A Freightliner Tech by phone was very explicit about using only an Ethylene Glycol 50/50 mix , also “absolutely no extended life products”. He also stated for my machine, I will need 11 gallons total and should only have to change every five years, I have no records when I purchased RV and chassis was built October 2010, so hence the concern to change out. So I am at the five year mark now. Also, Freightliner Tech was very confident that to use any other blend of Antifreeze could have adverse effects on sensors and give false readings, not to mention shutting down the engine, risk is even higher if you mix different blends.

Also Ethylene Glycol 50/50 mix antifreeze can be checked with test strips, manufacture recommended every 6 months to measure I believe the Tech said SCA’s. (Not sure of the science, I'm sure it is a check to check antifreeze concentration ect..)

So some more research I found part number: FAF-FCA053, Product is labeled as Peak and it was $8.69 a gallon yesterday on sale at NAPA auto parts.

Please I am posting my experience and am in know way stating this is the only solution or product, if you disagree, I understand and probably have read your counter already; I am only stating my experience and am sticking with what Freightliner recommends.

If you are a Do-it-your-selfer I changed my Antifreeze and flushed my system at home in about two hours. Project was very easy.

I can't comment on the product you used but you need to be sure that it contains or is compatible with Cummins DCA4. You need to use the Cummins test strips to test the level of DCA. This is very important. The 50/50 mix of coolant & water will establish an appropriate freeze point but doesn't address the cavitation protection which is provided by the DCA4. DCA4 is Cummins speak for SCA.

For anyone else reading this thread, Cummins/Fleetguard sells a very robust coolant, Fleetguard ES Compleat EG fully formulated. It comes with the DCA4 and in either 50/50 or concentrated form.

Test DCA level regularly. If you don't have a replaceable coolant filter with the DCA built in then you will have to add DCA based on the results of the test strip.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote