Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #15

Rexhall Owners Group
I'm a shade under 200#. As an earlier poster noted, I use the stepladder until I'm close to the top, and then transfer to the mounted one so that I can use the over the roof rails. One thing not mentioned earlier,...I use BOTH hands to hang on while going up and down. All tools needed on the roof go into a Homer bucket with a rope attached. Said bucket is then pulled up to the roof once I get there and am safe. When scrubbing the roof, sometimes multiple buckets and ropes are needed. If I'm careful I plan to hit 71 Y.O. this fall.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #16

I come in at 275 and use my ladder to check the roof and slide-outs prior to pulling out each time. It is much faster and easier than pulling the Lil Giant ladder out of the basement.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
I'm over 300 and you couldn't get me on one of those ladders if you paid me. We didn't even order one on our Bay Star. We carry a Gorilla ladder that supports up to 375 lbs. If I need to get on the roof, I'll use that.
What size Gorilla, and do you use it as an extension to get on the roof or as an A-frame?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
I'm a shade under 200#. As an earlier poster noted, I use the stepladder until I'm close to the top, and then transfer to the mounted one so that I can use the over the roof rails. One thing not mentioned earlier,...I use BOTH hands to hang on while going up and down. All tools needed on the roof go into a Homer bucket with a rope attached. Said bucket is then pulled up to the roof once I get there and am safe. When scrubbing the roof, sometimes multiple buckets and ropes are needed. If I'm careful I plan to hit 71 Y.O. this fall.

Good plan
Old 07-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
What size Gorilla, and do you use it as an extension to get on the roof or as an A-frame?

17 footer and I'd have to use it as an extension probably. Honestly, I try not to have to go on the roof. I use it mainly for cleaning the coach.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #20

I've been wondering the same about my '04 DSDP ladder. I'm 225. So far it's been fine but I sort of clench going up it every time.
SnowMan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:08 AM   #21

I go up the ladder on my 2017 Ventana LE at 215/lbs without a problem. BUT, at the top its very hard for me to securely transition over the side. Seems to ladder handles don't extend far enough onto the roof.. I get on top in the kneeling position and wait to gain my balance. But, I'm 69 years old too!
Hwy Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:53 AM   #22

That's what the DW and Son-In-Laws are for.

Since I'm 300, no way for me. I have a telescoping ladder to get up on the roof, but rarely need to go up. If I need an annual cleaning, it's likely I'll pay someone younger and more nimble than me to do it.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #23

Age + weight can make for a dangerous combination on ladders. I’m 180 and under 60. I still use the bolt on ladder but am very cautious. A friend worked in E.R and says that ladders are one of the most common falls and reasons for e.r. visits.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’ll use the one on my Bay Star very carefully, but I have some vertigo issues. It’s an easy way to get into the roof. I have a 22’ Little Giant that I use for everything else when I’m home.

When I was working, I had someone take me up in one of these if I needed to access anything high.

Name:   IMG_4608.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  12.4 KB

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well.....I'm a whispy 325 and I go up my ladder all the time. I did replace the screws at each standoff joint, where the ladder attaches to the standoff, with through bolts. I didn't like the screws.

With all that said, when I'm at home, I use a step ladder to get about half way up and gently use the ladder for the last half. When on the road, I have an older style slide lock, the type with a pad on both ends and a threaded rod in the middle with push buttons stops to extend it. I place that under the bottom rung of the ladder and adjust it tight so the pressure is on the old slide lock arm.

Recently, my brother-in-law took delivery of a 2019 Lance trailer. They installed a really nice 1.5" ladder chrome ladder on the rear of the trailer. I looked at the manufacturer and fond it's made locally. I'm still up in the air about keeping he coach, but if I do, I want to have them make me the larger diameter upper half ladder and eliminate the lower half completely, using my collapsible ladder for the lower half if necessary.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #26

Any big guys going up your Ventana ladder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Well.....I'm a whispy 325

Gotta love that positive attitude! Made me laugh out loud when I read it. Twice in my lifetime, I was in the 300+ club. However, I never considered myself “whispy”. Keep on truck’n DSD.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, ventana