Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 02:01 AM   #15

The other issue we have had is the Atwood electric jacks. The design put in our 2008 failed after about 2 years. This is relatively common, anyone with Atwood jacks of this design will have them fail after a few years, again, not just a Newmar problem.

I would be interested to learn more about the Atwood jack issues. My current '07 Newmar MH has an Atwood system and it has been undesirable in the automatic mode. I usually operate in the manual mode. Often I have wondered why they did not put the HWH system in. Thanks for any light you can shed on the Atwood saga.

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OP asked if there were any "common" problems with Newmars such as the w/s frame rusting on Winnebago coaches. Haven't read of any common ones yet though we all experience some problems with our units to one degree or another.

DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
The other issue we have had is the Atwood electric jacks. The design put in our 2008 failed after about 2 years. This is relatively common, anyone with Atwood jacks of this design will have them fail after a few years, again, not just a Newmar problem.

I would be interested to learn more about the Atwood jack issues. My current '07 Newmar MH has an Atwood system and it has been undesirable in the automatic mode. I usually operate in the manual mode. Often I have wondered why they did not put the HWH system in. Thanks for any light you can shed on the Atwood saga.
The failure mode I experienced is as you are retracting the jacks they will retract all the way and then one foot will drop down to the ground. The lights will all be green so unless you actually look at them or hear it dragging you won't know it failed. A shear pin on the inside breaks and allows the foot to drop. You can push the foot right back up and wire it up so it does not drag until you get it repaired. This happened on three of my jacks.

As far as normal operation, the system did an OK job auto-leveling. Sometimes when auto-leveling it would try to raise one side or end of the coach too much and the coach would end up being off level per my bubble level and I'd have to fine tune.

This problem usually shows up when the coach is off-level both front-to-back and side-to-side.

The system is calibrated per Atwood procedure to be level per the bubble level. I do the procedure so much I know it by heart. We'll see if the new controls are better.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #18

Don, we have followed your posts for a couple years now, we had a 2008 HR and in Feb. we purchased our Ventana from Lindsay at Guaranty RV in Oregon. We met Tom in Moorpark, and really liked him, but he doesn't order the Oasis heating on his Newmar Ventanas. We have known Lindsay for 8 years and he and the techs at Guaranty highly recommended the Oasis, so we purchased our Ventana there.
Can you explain the problems with the Frig. microwave (besides the installation)? Before we have the Frigidare replaced (that's not something we would tackle ourselves) we thought we would give it a try. It worked fine on our trip back here to the Lake, but we are heading for FL end of April and don't want any problems. Thanks for all of your advice, we love our little 34' Ventana although I know you suggested we get a DS, now in our 70's we are downsizing.
gda raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #19

We love Newmar!! The only thing I have a problem is we were going to keep our Canyon Star for 5 years and trade for a Diesel It is now 3 years old and only has 4000 miles on it We talked to a couple of dealers and found a Ventana that we liked We was told by the dealer we bought ours from who is out of business that we can expect to lose $10,000.00 per year so we thought we would take a $30,000.00 loss on trade.The dealer told us that our coach that we paid $125,000.00 3 years ago is only worth $35,000.00 on trade.So don't make the same mistake we did save and buy the one you want to start with I guess we will
not be getting a diesel anytime soon with a hit that big
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
We love Newmar!! The only thing I have a problem is we were going to keep our Canyon Star for 5 years and trade for a Diesel It is now 3 years old and only has 4000 miles on it We talked to a couple of dealers and found a Ventana that we liked We was told by the dealer we bought ours from who is out of business that we can expect to lose $10,000.00 per year so we thought we would take a $30,000.00 loss on trade.The dealer told us that our coach that we paid $125,000.00 3 years ago is only worth $35,000.00 on trade.So don't make the same mistake we did save and buy the one you want to start with I guess we will
not be getting a diesel anytime soon with a hit that big
Your dealer is crazy. It's worth way more then that. Haven't looked it up, but I would say about twice what they are offering.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Your dealer is crazy. It's worth way more then that. Haven't looked it up, but I would say about twice what they are offering.
Not crazy. Just VERY greedy. I agree with your valuation of the 3 yr old coach.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWinLV View Post
Tiffin has roof problems and moisture barrier problems. What does Newmar have, if any?
We don't have a problem with our Newmar, but for sure, the Prevost owners have a problem with us as we blast past them on hills!! But, we're nice people, we always smile and wave as we go by them!! And later at the campground when they catch up to us they tell us that they were trying to maximize their gas mileage?? Prevost- Really!!!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #23

Almost all of my problems were caused by that dredded, "operator error." That could have been alleiviated by a well appointed operators manual instead of a collection of manufacturers manuals that cover a wide variety of models of appliances and OEM.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #24
CBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
The dealer told us that our coach that we paid $125,000.00 3 years ago is only worth $35,000.00 on trade.
I will be happy to give you 40k for your Canyon Star

You can expect a 30% drop in the first year, but 10k a year after that sounds about right. I think you need to get a few more quotes.

CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar