Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
You'll never regret moving up to the two 15k units. They can barely keep up when the temps get into the 100+ range and your setting in the direct sun. I wish I would of optioned three of them!

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't see any problem with it. $400 seems like a fair price to me. Good luck and enjoy your coach when it arrives.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred061164 View Post
Excellent comments - you really learn a lot.

Jon - regarding the generator, stock came with a 5,500 but we upgraded to the 7,000 watt unit. Hopefully that will be enough to power the bigger 2 15.0 AC units.

Terry - I also ordered the bigger AC units with heat pumps. I've never used this feature - but the stock units came with it so I thought I'd better not loose this feature.
I dry camp a lot in the desert and have lots of experience with AC and hot weather.

Your Onan 7000 should be able to start and run 2 ac units, but if you are boon docked and running a large microwave or oven and you have a heavy base load then when its really hot and the Genny is heat soaked from running for 8 hours in the heat- then the AC's may struggle starting again after they cycle.

The 15'ks bit more locked rotor amps (54) and are harder to "kick over" than the 13.5's. (48) Running them- no sweat -getting them started- different deal.

You can give the whole setup a shot in arm and prevent that by upping the hard start kits from the factory- its cheap insurance and held the whole setup out a bunch.

Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post

You can give the whole setup a shot in arm and prevent that by upping the hard start kits from the factory- its cheap insurance and held the whole setup out a bunch.

Uncle Dave
I would be interested to know more about what the upgraded hard start kits are and where they are available. Thanks
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred061164 View Post
Excellent comments - you really learn a lot.

Jon - regarding the generator, stock came with a 5,500 but we upgraded to the 7,000 watt unit. Hopefully that will be enough to power the bigger 2 15.0 AC units.

Terry - I also ordered the bigger AC units with heat pumps. I've never used this feature - but the stock units came with it so I thought I'd better not loose this feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I would be interested to know more about what the upgraded hard start kits are and where they are available. Thanks
There are a few videos on line about the "dometic smart start"- probably the most expensive but effective solution for that brand.

Ive gone to SUPCO for hard start capacitors for coleman product and Dometic product.

Supco has an excellent guide on the issue

http://www.supco.com/images/pdfs/AC%...%20Booklet.pdf

Ive made this mod to every device I had with an AC unit on the roof and haven't lost a compressor since.

One of the largest factors in compressor life is starting quickly.

Uncle Dave
Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #34

We bought a 2003 Dutch Star about this time last year and one of the first things I had to do was replace both AC units. Upgraded to two 15k with heat pumps. Next I had to get the generator serviced (replace brushes, tuning, etc) before they would start but have not missed a beat since then. We have a Generac 7.5k. Have been very pleased both the cooling and heating performance.
zjgc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #35

Thanks Dave & DutchStar - great info! So far the two bigger units have held up great, but June in Dallas will be a big test. :-)

Don't like the water dripping condensation - but I'll look into that later - so far so good!
fred061164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Give or take, the 15000 uses an additional 1/2 amp to 1 amp per unit. Other than additional upgrade expense I can't think of any downside. Sounds good to me !!
Interesting: My 13,500 BTU Carrier Air V, draws 13.5 amps running,,,, One of them died due to a workmanship issue.

So I replaced it with an Advent Air 15,000 unit, this is a "Drop on" replacement for the carrier rooftop unit so everything inside remains the same.

So does the 13.5 amp draw.. Yup, it draws the same amount of power. I do admit it' is like 7 years newer though.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Interesting: My 13,500 BTU Carrier Air V, draws 13.5 amps running,,,, One of them died due to a workmanship issue.

So I replaced it with an Advent Air 15,000 unit, this is a "Drop on" replacement for the carrier rooftop unit so everything inside remains the same.

So does the 13.5 amp draw.. Yup, it draws the same amount of power. I do admit it' is like 7 years newer though.
Thats pretty good a comparable coleman 15Kbtu pulls 16 amps, and the 13.5 mach 3 power saver pulls 11.2.

Dave