Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #1

Any idea what this vent is?

I found a flexible 'vent' tube in the basement our '97 MA. I'ts attached to the side of the compartment wall located on the drivers side, 3 compartments towards the rear,under the slide.
We have a washer/dryer combo, but it sits approx 15' further back.
I stuffed steel wool inside the vent to keep mice from getting in. I read somewhere that they hate steel wool and won't mess with it.
Anyone know what this is for? Thought at first that a vent duct had fallen off of one of my heater registers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4856 (Small).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	47408

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4855 (Small).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	47409

thx....Mark
Turbofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From furnace to heat the compartment(s)?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It just may be a heat run for your basement compartments. It looks as though in the 2nd picture that it's below your onboard water tank. Just my observation.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #4

yes, thats true..it does sit just below my main water tank.
I didn't know the Newar's had heated compartments. I don't run my furnace often as I use the heat strips in the roof a/c. Help save propane.
I"m still new at the RV thing and learning more and more about the RV, almost on a daily basis.
I may fire the furnace up and check.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It very well was probably an option. I know our MACA doesn't have any vents in the basement area.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We had a '97 MA. Heat for the basement was an option. We had it, but ended up not using it a great deal. As I recall, there was a switch located in one of the compartments for it, but can't remember which compartment.....
twinknkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Our 99 MA has this to heat the holding tank compartments. It comes from the LP furnace with the make up air exhausting back in the coach thru the vent directly below the shower door on our MADP4080. There is a switch in our wet bay for basement heat but haven't found what it controls because heat always comes out the wet bay vent regardless of switch position when the furnace runs.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
Our 99 MA has this to heat the holding tank compartments. It comes from the LP furnace with the make up air exhausting back in the coach thru the vent directly below the shower door on our MADP4080. There is a switch in our wet bay for basement heat but haven't found what it controls because heat always comes out the wet bay vent regardless of switch position when the furnace runs.
The switch in the wet bay operates a small 12 volt fan that's mounted in the heat duct. Only comes on when furnace fan is running.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
The switch in the wet bay operates a small 12 volt fan that's mounted in the heat duct. Only comes on when furnace fan is running.
Ya Maaan.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you travel around during the winter months this added vent with fan comes handy in keeping all your plumbing and tanks out of freezing trouble while traveling and possibly winter camping on way to destination.
Any other type heat in living area will not protect the under compartments from freezing weather.
We have camped at Newmar in Jan at 1* snow and the coach is warm and happy.
The vent under shower is for the return air to your furnace.
Switch for 12v fan in foil tube is in your water compartment as mentioned.
As for mice they can get into furnace as one did in ours but that was short lived when the furnace came on.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Turbofans, you might remove the steel wool, turn on the furnace and see if hot air blows out the mystery hose.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #12

We have a switch in our wet compartment marked "SS Blower Fan Motor". I was assuming it was used to vent the black water tank (SS defined as Sewer System?).
When we bought Shurley last May/Jun, I ended up with a god awful stench inside the coach when the toilet was flushed. I turned the switch on and the stink went away. After dumping the Black Water and a good rinse, all is well.
Will have to take out Steel Wool, fire up the LP Heater and mess with it to find out.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofans View Post
I found a flexible 'vent' tube in the basement our '97 MA. I'ts attached to the side of the compartment wall located on the drivers side, 3 compartments towards the rear,under the slide.
We have a washer/dryer combo, but it sits approx 15' further back.
I stuffed steel wool inside the vent to keep mice from getting in. I read somewhere that they hate steel wool and won't mess with it.
Anyone know what this is for? Thought at first that a vent duct had fallen off of one of my heater registers.

Attachment 47408

Attachment 47409

thx....Mark
Same configuration in our Kountry Star. Heats tank bays and the service panel area when the LP furnace is running. There is a switch in the water service bay the controls an inline fan installed in the aluminum duct to boost the air into the service bay. Hope this helps.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Turbofans, you might remove the steel wool, turn on the furnace and see if hot air blows out the mystery hose.

BFlinn181's smarter than he looks.......................
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent