Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
I bought a 2019 ram 1500 with the intention of towing it but haven't done it yet. Will be ordering air force one and blue ox base plate soon.
Perfect choices.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 05:00 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Everyone... We bought the 2019 Ram 1500 on New Years Eve.
Yes we will be parting with the trailer, golf cart, and the Mini Cooper! Going to miss it, the Cooper has been Awesome to own and the trailer storage has been amazing.

So here is what I have learned so far, some of which is not totally confirmed yet.
The Ram is super easy to tow. MUST be 4 wheel drive and Automatic trans. put the transfer case in neutral, the transmission into Park, turn off the engine, steering does not lock and make sure the parking brake is not set to automatically engage.

The BlueOx baseplate looks real easy to install and mostly non-invasive, there is a little drilling and a tiny notch of metal that needs to be trimmed away. The attachment points actually replace the front tow hooks. The Roadmaster kit looks very similar but it looks like you need to cut off a support brace on the frame. (seemed a little too intrusive to me but I'm sure it works just fine)

The lighting kit appears to be just wiring and diodes so the hardest part of that should be snaking wires down the length of the truck and determining which tailight wires to cut and tap into for the diodes. (if anyone happens to know wiring schematic or colors that might help, please let me know)
I haven't decided on a braking system yet, I have a BrakeBuddy and may use that temporarily but will likely set up Air Force 1 or similar. (Give me something to shop for at Tampa)

Final summary: We looked at all the trucks Ram, Ford, Chevy and chose the Ram for these reasons:
Styling, I really love the styling of the new Ram, interior and exterior, It's a personal choice but I love it.
Technology, all the new trucks have great technology packages, the 12" screen in the Ram is super easy for old eyes to see quickly and clearly while driving.
Towability, I love that this is so easy to set up for towing. It seems the Chevy needs a partial battery disconnect or something, the Ford is pretty easy but there is a sequence to get transfer case into neutral.
Fuel mileage, I am going to hate walking away from the 30mpg of the Mini, all of these trucks are awful. I think Ford wins this battle with the 3.5 Ecoboost.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:10 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Don't know if this helps but I've been checking the tow bars, base plates and braking system since I bought my Ford on the 20th. Etrailer looks like the best price for everything I need. I'm going with the roadmaster blackhawk 2 all terrain. I'm getting what they call the ez5 base plate, you don't have to use the cross bar with these. I've pretty much decided to go with the M&G braking system for ease of install and not having to attach anything to the brake pedal thru the firewall.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:30 AM   #18

Norm, looking forward to seeing the new tow animal at Tampa!
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:51 AM   #19

Fuel mileage, I am going to hate walking away from the 30mpg of the Mini, all of these trucks are awful. I think Ford wins this battle with the 3.5 Ecoboost.

i have a 2018 RAM 1500 4x4with a 5.7. I can't tow it behind my Class C Navion (too heavy) as much as I would like to.
Anyway, we just drove 4400 miles From Ca to Denver via Az,NM,Tx,Ut,NV and AVERAGED 20 MPG on the nose over the entire 4400miles! From Ca -Denver, 2800 miles, we actually got 22MPG but the Rockies and the Sierras on the way home knocked the avg down. You will LOVE that truck. Most comfortable riding vehicle I have ever owned!
DariusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
Norm, looking forward to seeing the new tow animal at Tampa!
It's a sweet ride.
Just took MikeGriffin and DWs to lunch in it. Lot more room in the back seat than the MINI
Old 01-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
It's a sweet ride.
Just took MikeGriffin and DWs to lunch in it. Lot more room in the back seat than the MINI
Hey, it was (is) great! Gotta love a new Ram!
Old 01-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #22

Good choice on the Ram. I tow my 2016 diesel 4x4 crew cab with an 8' bed with zero problems to date. Super simple with the Blue OX 10,000 lb bars, and Air Force One breaking system. In less than 5 minutes I can either hook or un-hook.

If I can recommend one additional item and that would be the Blue Ox Karguard. It protects the truck from debris and has worked great.

Enjoy
Old 01-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
. I've pretty much decided to go with the M&G braking system for ease of install and not having to attach anything to the brake pedal thru the firewall.
I'm still shopping for a new truck, did you go with the 3.5 eco-boost? Did you have to change the air filter and what did that involve and cost? Thanks
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #24

Just traded my 2013 Ram Sport, for a 2019 Laramie 4x4, so I'll be following this thread closely, especially with regards to braking systems.....
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Thanks Everyone... We bought the 2019 Ram 1500 on New Years Eve.
Yes we will be parting with the trailer, golf cart, and the Mini Cooper! Going to miss it, the Cooper has been Awesome to own and the trailer storage has been amazing.

So here is what I have learned so far, some of which is not totally confirmed yet.
The Ram is super easy to tow. MUST be 4 wheel drive and Automatic trans. put the transfer case in neutral, the transmission into Park, turn off the engine, steering does not lock and make sure the parking brake is not set to automatically engage.

The BlueOx baseplate looks real easy to install and mostly non-invasive, there is a little drilling and a tiny notch of metal that needs to be trimmed away. The attachment points actually replace the front tow hooks. The Roadmaster kit looks very similar but it looks like you need to cut off a support brace on the frame. (seemed a little too intrusive to me but I'm sure it works just fine)

The lighting kit appears to be just wiring and diodes so the hardest part of that should be snaking wires down the length of the truck and determining which tailight wires to cut and tap into for the diodes. (if anyone happens to know wiring schematic or colors that might help, please let me know)
I haven't decided on a braking system yet, I have a BrakeBuddy and may use that temporarily but will likely set up Air Force 1 or similar. (Give me something to shop for at Tampa)

Final summary: We looked at all the trucks Ram, Ford, Chevy and chose the Ram for these reasons:
Styling, I really love the styling of the new Ram, interior and exterior, It's a personal choice but I love it.
Technology, all the new trucks have great technology packages, the 12" screen in the Ram is super easy for old eyes to see quickly and clearly while driving.
Towability, I love that this is so easy to set up for towing. It seems the Chevy needs a partial battery disconnect or something, the Ford is pretty easy but there is a sequence to get transfer case into neutral.

Norm check out the M & G brake system. we have it on our F-150 Super crew cab. Nothing in the cab only under the hood. hooks to coach air brakes.
we can also carry the Cricket in the bed.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:27 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
Norm check out the M & G brake system. we have it on our F-150 Super crew cab. Nothing in the cab only under the hood. hooks to coach air brakes.
we can also carry the Cricket in the bed.
Thanks Bill, I am going to check out all the brake systems that I find at the Tampa show but am welcoming ideas and recommendations from everyone here.
On a personal note, Are you guys High and Dry yet? I didn't like seeing those flooding pictures.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Thanks Bill, I am going to check out all the brake systems that I find at the Tampa show but am welcoming ideas and recommendations from everyone here.
On a personal note, Are you guys High and Dry yet? I didn't like seeing those flooding pictures.

Norm, yes we’re higher but not dried out yet. Thanks.

If you have any questions about the M&G system give Richard Sullivan a call that what he’s used on several toads.
I wish I had found it before I bought the Blue Ox. That thing is always in the way! I do not like it but at this stage I’m not going to replace it. We’ll simply tow the truck.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
I wish I had found it before I bought the Blue Ox.
Bill, you wished you found what before the Blue Ox? I was thinking of the Blue Ox for flat towing my 2019 Ram Longhorn but now I am all ears.
Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing