Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I'm still shopping for a new truck, did you go with the 3.5 eco-boost? Did you have to change the air filter and what did that involve and cost? Thanks
No I went with the v-8. Just installed the M&G yesterday. Yes I had to pull out the air box and put in the cone filter they (m&g) sent.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
No I went with the v-8. Just installed the M&G yesterday. Yes I had to pull out the air box and put in the cone filter they (m&g) sent.
I encountered a couple of problems and I'm calling m&g in the morning to find out what I did wrong. I'm getting a check brake message and the red brake light is on. The feature where the motor stops when you are at a stop light is not working properly now, it shuts the motor off but immediately the pedal pushes up towards me and the motor starts back up. Hopefully my problems will be solved tomorrow morning after the call.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
Bill, you wished you found what before the Blue Ox? I was thinking of the Blue Ox for flat towing my 2019 Ram Longhorn but now I am all ears.
I ended up with the RVi3 brake box, only used it on a short trip so far. I used to have a brake buddy but never had consistent luck with it. The RVi3 is real easy for set up, and the box is a lot smaller than the brake buddy or blue ox brake box. If I didn't trade so often, I would go with the M&G if you can use the original brake booster style on your toad. It's also a lot cheaper
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #32

The M & G system
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:07 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was hoping to do a lot of comparative brake shopping at Tampa but was disappointed by the vendor turnout. The only ones there were Air Force One, Blue Ox, and RVI.

The Blue Ox and RVI systems are not permanent mounts, they sit on the drivers floor and push the brake pedal. The RVI system looked more user friendly but I really want a built in permanent solution.

After many suggestions from all of you, I really did want to purchase the M&G system. After an email exchange with them I found that they do not offer the system for the 2019 RAM 1500 due to an electrical component under the hood that physically blocks the master cylinder from being able to be moved outward to allow room for the M&G unit.

In the end, I have arranged for the Air Force One unit to be installed and just to torture myself a little more, I have arranged for Camping World to install it. I couldn't pass up their "We'll install anything for $59" special.
Stayed tuned in, I will let you kinow how it all works out!
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
After many suggestions from all of you, I really did want to purchase the M&G system. After an email exchange with them I found that they do not offer the system for the 2019 RAM 1500 due to an electrical component under the hood that physically blocks the master cylinder from being able to be moved outward to allow room for the M&G unit.
That's a real bummer. I will be following your progress and results to see which way I need to go on my 2019 Ram. Good luck!
Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Norm, you'll be plenty happy with the AF1...we sure are. Camping World?...hopefully.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
You should have no problem. There is a disengagement button for the transmission and that’s all you need to do. Very simple. I choose the braking system from NSA call the ReadyBrute. No bulky things to put in your towd.
The website is ready brake.com
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:48 AM   #37

I have looked the ReadyBrake, and they seem like a good solution, however my Ram has the adjustable pedals. Are they able to set the cable up somehow, to be able to use the system on a vehicle, where the pedals move, relative to the bulkhead ?
Anyone know if this is possible ?
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magredvet View Post
I have looked the ReadyBrake, and they seem like a good solution, however my Ram has the adjustable pedals. Are they able to set the cable up somehow, to be able to use the system on a vehicle, where the pedals move, relative to the bulkhead ?
I have not found anyone with a dynamic solution to adjustable pedals.
All of the manufacturers tell you to set up the system with the brake pedals all the way out and then always remember to move the pedals to that position when towing.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:23 AM   #39

Ok, thanks for the info. I was really hoping to find a system where I didn't have to drill a hole in the firewall, like the M & G, but I guess that's not going to be the case with the new Ram
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
My Ram does not have adjustable brake pedal. I’d call ReadyBrake and inquire.
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #41
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Having adjustable brake pedals is not a problem. I had the ReadyBrake installed on my 2008 Ford Sportrac that had adjustable brake pedals and never had any problems. When installing the cable , make sure the brake pedal is all the way in the up position. You can adjust the pedal to any position while driving your Ram, but make sure when you tow it to put the pedal all the way up.

All the best!
Old 01-27-2019, 04:57 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
We are considering a 2019 Ram 1500 to tow behind our Newmar. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience with this setup.
What tips, tricks, or procedures do we need to know?
Not sure if the new 2019 Ram is any different than older models.
Not sure what that truck weighs, but be careful you may need to upgrade your tow bar. I tow a 2018 Dodge 2500 long bed 4x4 Diesel with a Polaris 900 in the bed of the truck. I had to sell my tow bar and upgrade to a tow system rated for 10,000 lbs. My original tow bar was only rated for 6,000 lbs. So if you put things in the bed of your truck, you may be over weight for a standard tow bar. Verify weight ratings on your system, and remember the dry weight of the vehicle does NOT include things like fluids (fuel, oil) or anything else you put in the truck when towing.

Yes a 4x4 is the best choice for towing. With our 2018 we simply follow the procedure to put the transfer case in neutral, hook it up and go. I use the Air Force braking system.

Tags
tow, towing