RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #1

Anybody ordering a 2018 Dutch Star 4052?

That's what we're looking at. Interested to see if anyone else has one or is getting one.

Thanks

ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #2

I am also very interested in this floor plan. Its like our 3412 except a little bigger everywhere. I also like that it is still a 4 slide coach and the fridge does not move with the slide. I contacted Newmar and they don't have any in the schedule until I think February or so. I would really like to see one up close and personal. It looks like the perfect 40' coach for two people traveling.

OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #3

that's our thinking, too!!
Old 10-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #4

not having the fridge on a slide is a great benefit that is often overlooked.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
not having the fridge on a slide is a great benefit that is often overlooked.....
Correct. Its the heaviest piece in a kitchen slide. Also it probably likes to be moved the least although no problems are ever reported I would still feel better for the entire system if the fridge was fixed. I also like the bigger shower, living room arrangement and larger bath. Seems like a lot of extra space for a 6 foot longer floor plan. Our 3412 is really nice and actually nothing more is needed for us but the 4052 does look really good.

Also I am not a big fan of the full wall slides as we seldom stay anywhere for more than a few days the slides get used a lot. I think that a four slide makes for a lot stronger box and also a lot less stress on the slide mechanism.

I really don't like to think about drain lines moving with the slide but they seem to have that worked out as well.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDo View Post
Correct. Its the heaviest piece in a kitchen slide. Also it probably likes to be moved the least although no problems are ever reported I would still feel better for the entire system if the fridge was fixed. I also like the bigger shower, living room arrangement and larger bath. Seems like a lot of extra space for a 6 foot longer floor plan. Our 3412 is really nice and actually nothing more is needed for us but the 4052 does look really good.

Also I am not a big fan of the full wall slides as we seldom stay anywhere for more than a few days the slides get used a lot. I think that a four slide makes for a lot stronger box and also a lot less stress on the slide mechanism.

I really don't like to think about drain lines moving with the slide but they seem to have that worked out as well.
my new coach is the first experience i have had with a full wall slide. i have to say so far, i am impressed. i also felt that a 4 slide coach offered more rigidity in the structure. but the way the HWH full wall slide operates, the construction of the slide itself, and the header construction on the coach, it is rock solid. i have had no movement of the slide going down even rough roads. there was certainly a learning curve in the 2016 model year, and then that carried over to 2017 in some ways. but in 2018 i feel that they pretty much have it nailed down. now, it's early yet for me, so i am knocking on wood as i type....

my floorplan has about the largest full wall slide they make. and the fridge is not on it. i think it's the best of both worlds. and the spartan chassis is really firm under way. my previous coach was a 40' tiffin on a freight liner, so it's apples to oranges for me for sure, but i can certainly see and tell the difference on the spartan and newmar frame / star foundation construction. no where near as much movement.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #7

Fridge etc.

I hadn't thought about the placement of the fridge. That's another plus. Since it's just the two of us, we didn't think an extra half bath was worth the precious space. I DO like the size of the shower as well.

Most of all we like the bedroom all the way in the back and the bathroom in the middle. We like the way that that separates the sleeping area from the rest of the coach.

Does anyone know if both sofas can be pulled out into beds at the same time? From the floorplan drawing it looks as though that'll work, but not sure.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #8

willipaul,
Thanks for the heads up on the FWS advancement. The HWH system must be hydraulic cylinders? I am an engineer by trade and a certified over thinker. I don't want a coach longer than 40 feet and there is only 2 of us and the dog. Our 3412 has the moving fridge and so far so good but I still like less moving critical parts. Almost all mechanical system failures occur during a change of sate so the less systems there are that have to change states the longer the system will supposedly last.

ianschneider,
We also like the larger shower and the bathroom that separates the living room from the bedroom.

Thanks all
Old 10-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #9

Quote:
willipaul,
Thanks for the heads up on the FWS advancement. The HWH system must be hydraulic cylinders? I am an engineer by trade and a certified over thinker. I don't want a coach longer than 40 feet and there is only 2 of us and the dog. Our 3412 has the moving fridge and so far so good but I still like less moving critical parts. Almost all mechanical system failures occur during a change of sate so the less systems there are that have to change states the longer the system will supposedly last.

ianschneider,
We also like the larger shower and the bathroom that separates the living room from the bedroom.

Thanks all
there are large chains on all 4 corners of the slide, and i believe there are hydraulic motors that control them. those motors are hidden on the inside of the coach, under padded trim areas. the slide does lift and drop, and i would think there are cylinders that do that function, but they are not seen. the whole system is very cool to watch move. and i think that the power that the system can create, by using a substantially disproportionate amount of energy, is large. i think i read that the system can lift and move over a ton with ease.....

here is the slide system:

Old 10-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #10

willipaul,
That's an interesting looking system. I am going to do a little research on the dirty end of that process. The rack and pinion system on my 3412 is fairly simple but is the ramp down flat floor style. My last rig had slides that went straight out and did not drop so it was a lot simpler yet. I am interested to see how this one behaves with age and mileage.
Thanks for the video.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianschneider View Post
I hadn't thought about the placement of the fridge. That's another plus. Since it's just the two of us, we didn't think an extra half bath was worth the precious space. I DO like the size of the shower as well.

Most of all we like the bedroom all the way in the back and the bathroom in the middle. We like the way that that separates the sleeping area from the rest of the coach.

Does anyone know if both sofas can be pulled out into beds at the same time? From the floorplan drawing it looks as though that'll work, but not sure.
Once you’ve had a half bath, you’ll never go back.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #12

Quote:
willipaul,
That's an interesting looking system. I am going to do a little research on the dirty end of that process. The rack and pinion system on my 3412 is fairly simple but is the ramp down flat floor style. My last rig had slides that went straight out and did not drop so it was a lot simpler yet. I am interested to see how this one behaves with age and mileage.
Thanks for the video.
interested to hear about what you discover.....
Old 01-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
3 months later and still no DSDP 4052s to see on the internet. I must be able to examine one before I will buy one.

Anything else under 40'10" lacks the rear wall, tall, deep closet and King bed, a mid-coach bath with a min. 40x32 shower and preferable 50x34, a toilet with a gravity drop to the holding tank, a large food prep area for rolling out pie crusts for pasty or dough for bread and cinnamon rolls, and finally it must have 2 recliners for tall people across from a 48"+ HDTV that rises behind a couch that can open to a 60" queen bed. If you must have a half bath I would prefer a 5 gal bucket with a toilet seat to giving up any of the above requirements.

The 2018 VTDP3715 comes close but the chassis has problems: Front axle too light (need about 17K for 960 pounds of L-16 AGMs), lacks independent 60 degree steering, and larger tires (at least 305 80s for smoother ride. The rear axle also needs the 305x80s and the rear brake drums are too small 7" vs the 8.62" brakes on the NADP and DSDPs. This is a problem in the West because the ISB has a whimpy exhaust brake versus the 3 stage Jake like the ISLs do. It may be a Newmar oversight like the whimpy 2016 DSDP and VTDP front axles. I want oversize stopping power when on 6% to 10% 5+ mile downgrades in the Rockies.

2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star