Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2008, 03:55 AM   #1

People are much more likely to go online to complain than to praise. I've read many postings on various sites about people coming up with long lists of problems during and shortly after the PDI.

How many of you did your PDI and initial shakedown trip and found no problems for the dealer to fix?
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:55 AM   #2

People are much more likely to go online to complain than to praise. I've read many postings on various sites about people coming up with long lists of problems during and shortly after the PDI.

How many of you did your PDI and initial shakedown trip and found no problems for the dealer to fix?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:11 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I imagine you'll find that list of people to be quite short. I've had several RV's, two Lance Campers, a Thor product 5th Wheel, a Weekend Warrior 5th Wheel, a Winnebago Journey, and now the Newmar Kountry Star. None were problem free, there is ALWAYS something. If you're lucky, the issues will be minor, and resolved quickly. So far on the KS, I was dissappointed that the dealer didn't catch some of the initial issues in the PDI, but they were extremely responsive and efficient in fixing them. But even at that, I'm sure more things will come up, it just seems to be the nature of these things. One piece of advice is to get to know your coach, don't be afraid to tinker with it yourself. Many issues can be resolved on your own with just a little research, and that experience and knowledge will many times be invaluable when something goes wrong on the road somewhere. But at the same time, know your limits and don't get into something over your head. Anyway, good luck, I know you're excited to get your coach, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Will be interesting to see how many people, if any, respond having had NO issues...
Old 05-22-2008, 04:46 AM   #4

we picked up our '07 ventana from the dealer in clearwater, fl last fall and drove it home to cheshire, ct. the only problem we had was the bathroom door popping open while traveling. I had told our salesperson we needed to be assured that his team would have the coach ready for our trip home and he said he would. we now have 10,000 miles and are pretty much trouble free. I hope I'm not jinxing myself by telling you this but I have said to my wife a few times, "I think we got a good one!"

gary in ct
Old 05-22-2008, 05:40 AM   #5

Hi! We have had a few issues with each of our past Motorhomes. I think most of it comes down to the PDI. Paul
Old 05-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #6

Had none for the dealer to fix but we fixed a small list ourselves. PDI at factory was helpful but many problems surface later on in the first year.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #7

Well, let's define "issue." Some folks will call a fingerprint on the windshield an "issue" and some folks will wait for the motor to fall out before it's an "issue." With that said, everyone will have a couple fingerprint type "issues."

As my definition of "issue" falls somewhere in the middle, I can say I left the dealer (after a thorough 10 hour personal PDI involving me rolling under the entire coach on a creeper), with NO significant issues.

Also ditto dave...
Old 05-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #8

That's a good point about "issues". I'm sort of in the middle as well.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Unfortunately, the problems started before we left the dealership and continue to this day. In three years of owning this coach, we have take only one short trip where nothing major or semi major has gone wrong. I have asked Newmar for an extension on my warranty. They said they will get the open items closed at the International Rally. If not close there they will extend the warranty to allow my dealer to close the remaining items.

I have never been stranded by the side of the road. There is only one chronic problem (basement doors delaminating). About 100 problems are just poor quality parts and appliances installed by Newmar. One of the difficulties is that the dealer is 110 miles (one way) from my house. There is no problem with the dealer. I provide the list and they fix everything on it. Almost always fixed right the first time. The vendors supplying Newmar are brand names and have been in business for decades.

For me, the bottom line is the vendors are trying to make products with as little cost as possible. They are taking chances on untested changes to their products. Quality control off their production lines must be non-existent.

My next coach purchase is delayed because of this. I am not comfortable with the quality of the motor coach product.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #10

I am really afraid to say anything as I know if I do Mr Murphy will start poking his head around.

So far the only issue we have is a brake light that wasn't working (fixed) and our Thetford vacuum toliet in the back holds water sporadically. Seems to like to go into travel mode for some reason. Dealer, Newmar and Tetford are working on a solution. We'll go back to the dealer in early June for the final fix (hopefully).

Otherwise its been trouble free and Independence RV in Winter Garden Fl has been wonderful.

God willing we won't have very many issues. I've met several Newmar owners when we were doing our research and I met many more owners that had very small issues than anyone with major ones. Like in other ares, there are Newmar owners that like to make a mountain out of an ant hill and others that wouldn't complain if the wheels fell off but the later is very uncommon. The vast majority of owners never come to a forum so their voice is never heard and the many that do tend to come as a result of a problem so our sampling here and on other boards is poor.

Issues come up in everything, even Stick and Bricks as we found out the hard way with our Toll Brothers home which we recently sold and are grateful to be rid of. Will never build another home with them again.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Ummm.... well..... never mind.

Been there and done that on these forums before, won't even go there again except to say that the owners of former Essex are on their FIFTH refrigerator, I was the owner for refrigerator's one and two.

Ever seen a refrigerator loaded through a completely removed dinette window?

Oh shucks.... I said I wasn't gonna get started.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #12

I have to say that I did not leave the dealer with any unresolved issues. Upon inspection I found the Microwave carosell did not work and they replaced the unit, Most other items I had problems with fall under the category of operator error. I guess your initial impression is more accurate because happy customers don't have anything to complain about. Bottom line is don't let complaints in these forums deter you from making a pleasurable purchase but do read them to see if there any any repetitive issues so you can avoid the few problems that are out there.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #13

Hmmmm.......Drive away from a dealer with no problems? Oh yes, but then again eventually I had to go back and pick up the coach.

Yes, I have. RV Warehouse in Cookstown, Ontario have some pretty good tech's, or certainly at least two anyway. They always did it right once.

Peter
Old 05-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #14

Well, I hope I'm as lucky as some of you. I'm a computer programmer, so I often blame problems on user error. If we didn't give people access to the system, it would pass all security audits and we'd have no problem reports!

I'm sure many of my problems will be self-inflicted. I once disable my wife's car while changing the air filter. (Oh, you're supposed to press on the bottom of the wiring harness before pulling it apart).