Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #1

Anyone Driven from Nappanee to Sacramento, direct?

I am looking at the route from Nappanee to Sacramento, as I'm hoping to drive a new DSDP that route some day. Most of the I-80 route looks good, except for the first leg, which goes right by Chicago.

Are there any expert recommendations out there for that leg? I suppose I can check with the transportation guys who deliver rigs all the time, but I figured I would check with you all first.

Thanks,

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
From beautiful downtown Nappanee take US 6 w to US 31. Then south to US 30. Go west on US 30 until you get past New Lenox, IL. When US 30 intersects with I-80, you'll be past a majority of the tolls and Chicago gridlock. It's the way I've made it through that region for years. Sometimes it's faster to travel I-80, but the tolls in an RV and sometimes the time in traffic/construction delays makes it much longer. I like traveling on the 'ole Lincoln Highway.'

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #3

Yes, last August. A nice trip. We are on the road right now and in Dallas. A 2000 mile leg from Sacto.

I used the Big Rigs Best Bet to pick the RV parks and it worked out very nicely. Tried for 300-400 miles per day. Seems that I always end up in beautiful Winnemucca, UT. on most of my east/west trips but they recently built a new park that seems to be decent. It is about 1 mile east of the OBG park that I have been using for a number of years.

Enjoy!
Bill-MACV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
From beautiful downtown Nappanee take US 6 w to US 31. Then south to US 30. Go west on US 30 until you get past New Lenox, IL. When US 30 intersects with I-80, you'll be past a majority of the tolls and Chicago gridlock. It's the way I've made it through that region for years. Sometimes it's faster to travel I-80, but the tolls in an RV and sometimes the time in traffic/construction delays makes it much longer. I like traveling on the 'ole Lincoln Highway.'

This is what I do to get on the I80.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #5

I lived in Chicago & drove a truck for 40 years, when you get west of 65 on 30 you go thru Ford then Chicago Heights. The police in both of these Chicago suburbs where all arrested by the Feds several years ago, Ford has a murder rate that is worse then Kuwait & if you did breakdown & manage to get yourself out of there alive you could count on your Motorhome being taken apart & the remains will be parked in somebody's yard!
Get on 65 go to I-80 & pay the toll.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

We drove from Cleveland thru Nappanee on highway 6 to interstate 80 near Chicago. No sweat, nice drive
Old 06-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #7

I would take US6 straight west from Nappanee to Lake Station, IN. You pick up I-80 there at exit 15. From there west you only have one toll on a short section of I-294/I-80. Your actually way south of Chicago.

I live in southwest lower Michigan. Whenever I'm going west using I-80 I always take I-94 to I-80, it's the fastest and nothing to be afraid of.

If you can drive the California freeways, this will be a walk in the park.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
I lived in Chicago & drove a truck for 40 years, when you get west of 65 on 30 you go thru Ford then Chicago Heights. The police in both of these Chicago suburbs where all arrested by the Feds several years ago, Ford has a murder rate that is worse then Kuwait & if you did breakdown & manage to get yourself out of there alive you could count on your Motorhome being taken apart & the remains will be parked in somebody's yard!

Get on 65 go to I-80 & pay the toll.

So, what you're saying is to not stay in the WalMart parking lot near there?

Ron & Kathy
2015 Dutch Star 4369
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #9

If your looking at the Walmart in Matson, that isn't as dangerous as the area
East of Western ave Chicago Heights & Ford are the areas you really should avoid.
I'm not comfortable staying in a Walmart near a large metropolitan area, but that's MPO.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
If your looking at the Walmart in Matson, that isn't as dangerous as the area
East of Western ave Chicago Heights & Ford are the areas you really should avoid.
I'm not comfortable staying in a Walmart near a large metropolitan area, but that's MPO.
Why would you stay overnight in Matteson, IL, you're only 2 hrs, (102 miles) from Nappanee? I-80 is less than 15 miles west on US 30. From Nappanee, you can be in Iowa in about 5 hours.

That, of course, is presupposing that you avoid the pirates and highway robbers going through US 30 in Illinois!

Bob & Donna
Old 06-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger View Post
I am looking at the route from Nappanee to Sacramento, as I'm hoping to drive a new DSDP that route some day. Most of the I-80 route looks good, except for the first leg, which goes right by Chicago.

Are there any expert recommendations out there for that leg? I suppose I can check with the transportation guys who deliver rigs all the time, but I figured I would check with you all first.

Thanks,

Roy

Roy - you can check with us in about a week or so - we are picking up our coach at Newmar and driving home to Sacramento - leaving on Saturday the 27th and plan to take I80 all the way. Drove that way in a car last August and yes it was busy but when we leave Nappanee on Saturday in the MH at 6am we'll be a little ahead of the worst of the traffic. I'll send you the Dash Cam video..
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:22 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
Roy - you can check with us in about a week or so - we are picking up our coach at Newmar and driving home to Sacramento - leaving on Saturday the 27th and plan to take I80 all the way. Drove that way in a car last August and yes it was busy but when we leave Nappanee on Saturday in the MH at 6am we'll be a little ahead of the worst of the traffic. I'll send you the Dash Cam video..
Leaving Nappanee at 6 am will put you right in the densest part of AM rush hour between Hammond, IN and Joliet, IL. Remember, as you get to the Chicago area you lose an hour as you pass west into the Central time zone.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-16-2015, 10:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Leaving Nappanee at 6 am will put you right in the densest part of AM rush hour between Hammond, IN and Joliet, IL. Remember, as you get to the Chicago area you lose an hour as you pass west into the Central time zone.
It's a Saturday so rush hour shouldn't be a problem.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote