Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

Anyone familiar with a 2000 Dutch Star

Just purchased this 2000 Newmar. There's an outlet in the compartment with the main power cord that is labeled for the "Block Heater". Can't seem to get this outlet to work at all. Thought there may be a switch somewhere inside the bus, but can't find anything or any info in the owner manual. There is a specific breaker in the box for this outlet and its not tripped. Before I start trying to diagnose bad outlets, wiring, etc I thought maybe I'm just missing something.....Any suggestions?

Thanks
Craig
DragRacer68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

above the door{i have side entry but where your panel is} there should be a white rocker switch that operates it ...as it does on my '97 newmar...jeff
Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #3

I had a 2000 mountain aire DP. Behind the cabinet door where your slide out switch, tank monitors, battery cut off switch ect. are located you should have what looks similar to a light switch in your house. That switch controls the power to the outlet you are speaking of.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Graig to the forum & irv2.
I think you may need a Brochure and Owners Guide for your coach.
There is more info in the QT's links 1 & 2 and the new # 3.
Welcome to the Newmar family and enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

DanJeep is correct. When the block heater cord is plugged in to this outlet, you control the heater from the switch located in the same location as the tank monitors etc.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjeep View Post
I had a 2000 mountain aire DP. Behind the cabinet door where your slide out switch, tank monitors, battery cut off switch ect. are located you should have what looks similar to a light switch in your house. That switch controls the power to the outlet you are speaking of.
Yep, that's what our 2000 and present 2002 have. You do have to be sure the block heater is plugged into the outlet too. I unplug mine and run a heating lamp off it in the wet bay using an extension cord. Next DSDP will have heating pads. (The one we're going back and forth with the dealer has them)
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #7

Newmar obviously doesn't have a set pattern where they put these switches. It must be just where ever they have room for it. Mine is in the ceiling inside the overhead cabinet about passenger seat where my satellite receiver and cable hookup is. Check in there, mine is a 2000 also.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:47 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check for a switch in compartment over your right hand dash. Should be there with all the other controls for you hot water heater, monitoring systems, water pump, inverter and charger controls, security lights and such. When you find it, put a label on it. It looks like a normal 110v house wall switch. Good luck
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

Thanks very much for the replies. Atleast now I know there's a switch somewhere to control it. Its not on the main switch panel near the front door with the water heater, water pump, etc. Must be in the overhead cabinet just behind the passenger front seat maybe. My wife stuffed a bunch of stuff in there right after we bought it so that's probably why I couldn't find it looking around the other day.
DragRacer68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
Newmar obviously doesn't have a set pattern where they put these switches. It must be just where ever they have room for it. Mine is in the ceiling inside the overhead cabinet about passenger seat where my satellite receiver and cable hookup is. Check in there, mine is a 2000 also.
Ditto with my 2000 DSDP 3862.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #11

Found it! It was in the ceiling inside the cabinet behind the passenger seat. Thanks all!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #12

When it is cold, and I am going to be in a location for a while, I unplug the block hearter and run a HD extension cord from there to my water compartment, where I put a small (Itsy bitsy) ceramic heater in my water compartment. On those nights when the Weatherman says it is going to be under 32 degrees, I switch the heater on and keep my water compartment warm. I rarely use my furnace, which is the other way to heat the water compartment.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #13

I would suggest you plug it in and turn it on to see if it works. In our 04 Essex one of the heaters was burned out. Wouldn't want to go to a really cold location and find it didn't work there. Should get side of engine warm in about 2 hours.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mike you can do as you like but if you have a Newmar the heat from ceramic heater will stay confined just to that general area and not circulate around the tank bays.
The furnace has a heat coil that push's warm air thru out the the tank bays and also the plumbing pipes and returns out you shower vent you see at the base of your shower. Also keeps condensation from developing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote