Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2006, 07:12 AM   #113

You are before the range for emergency vehicles(46542688-46601872). However they have never posted a range for RVs. The failures were early in life(less than 1500 miles) so you should be ok either way.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2006, 07:22 AM   #114

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HeresLucy:
We don't have a Newmar - but do have a Cummins 400 ISL. Our eng# is 46495122.

Can someone tell me if this is within the range? We have 9K+ miles on it -- and it was towed to Cummins Atlantic on Tuesday this week due to a "Stop Engine" light. It is still there -- they said the failure was just a communication problem with the computer.

Now i'm nervous. I'm going to call them but would like to have a general idea if we are inside or outside that serial # range. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can rest assurred that the check engine light has nothing to do with the rod problem. When a rod failure occurs it is absolute i.e. no notice other than possibly a loud knock that will escape notice of most folks and in any case would be too late to react.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:50 AM   #115

Thanks for the prompt replies. I'll probably still mention it when they return my call. But it is nice to have some background info before the discussion. Not that i could talk too inteligently about this topic

They are doing some othe work while it is there - the Freightliner hydraulic cooler recall, checking tires, alignment. We hope to get it back tomorrow or Wednesday. The whole towing experience made us quite nervous. If you have never had this done and would like to see some pics.. i took several -- see them here Tow Pics

Lucy

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
HeresLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #116
Administrator Emeritus

Great pics....brought back memories of my very own recent "encounter" with the tow truck.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:55 AM   #117
Administrator Emeritus

As promised....here are three pictures of my buddy Jeff's ISL damage....

Nice hole in the block and I especially like the new three piece connecting rod...

Old 09-19-2006, 06:02 AM   #118
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Hopefully, all of this is behind us now. No new reports.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #119
Administrator Emeritus

Dirk, I certainly think so....I had these photos on my cell phone and kept forgetting to upload them to the photo site and since I received a PM today specifically asking for them I posted them...

I do feel the issue is behind us,but as you know a picture tells a thousand words.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:22 AM   #120
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
My DSDP is about 3 weeks from completion, and even though my ISL's serial number is well past the questionable range, I'll have a little anxiety for a few thousand miles.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #121

Just finished 7000 mile trip on my new ISL with much of it 75 MPH or a little more and it ran beautifully.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #122

I purchased an 06 Allegro Bus in 08 with one of these "recalled" ISL's. Last month with 2 weeks to go on the 'in service' Warranty and 22,000 miles it turned #5 loose. So far Cummins has jumped through themselves to build a new engine (required as 06 is 3 gens removed EPA) as none are on the shelf. My post is reference to some as to how Cummins would handle these issues. I was assured last year that Cummins was treating this as safety issue and would replace the ISL's failure to failure. Being still in warranty cleaned up my issue but I believe Cummins is prepared to resolve most of these issues as they fail. The Warranty dept almost got analysis paralyses. My contacts at Cummins moved that fairly quickly. Should be out of dyno first of next week. Hopefully I will have better luck with the new engine.
KaptnKluck is offline   Reply With Quote