Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #15

I just watched a somewhat dated youTube video on installing something similar to the wifi Sky Ranger. Am I correct that this product can be connected to the cable for a powered TV roof antenna. If so, that means that no new wire would need to be run to the roof and installation would be a breeze.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used a Hawking Technology device to improve CG WiFi and create my own network. It's mounted on a small two section telescoping flagpole mast, stored in a outside compartment for travel. For usage it easily slips into a Flagpole Buddy mount on the rear ladder. Power is plugged into an outlet in a outside compartment.

Hawking Technology: High Performance Wireless Technology
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have used a Hawking Technology device to improve CG WiFi and create my own network. It's mounted on a small two section telescoping flagpole mast, stored in a outside compartment for travel. For usage it easily slips into a Flagpole Buddy mount on the rear ladder. Power is plugged into an outlet in a outside compartment.

Hawking Technology: High Performance Wireless Technology
That looks like a high quality piece of equipment and at $240, very well priced. I'd sure like to see someone test the Hawking against Wifi Ranger for performance.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
I have this router and it does exactly what the OP wants to do. It is just slightly larger than a deck of cards. Works quite well inside the coach but I plan to add an external antenna mounted to the TV antenna as soon as I get up the guts to pierce the roof. I think I'll wait until my new coach warranty ends though, before doing that!
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah, after trying about every kind of device, I have settled on the Pepwave as my "campground device", IF they have any kind of bandwidth left at my site. It really does reach out to get whatever signal is available. But for everyday use, I just got a Millenicom MiFi device which gives me 20 gigs for $90/mo. I figure I can cover most all data needs with this thing and if I am in the boonies I'll try the Pepwave and then the phones, using them as a hotspot. If all this fails, I'll drink a couple beers and go to bed. Maybe better luck at the next stop.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Pepwave

How does it handle the need to open a splash screen with your browser in order to log into the RV park service?
Calliedo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #21

After 15 years of rving and needing good wifi I have given up on campground wifi systems, they are all too cheap to buy enough bandwidth for their facility and during high use they are worthless. I have gone to using my cel phone as a hot spot and the wife and I use our computers at the same time. The only problem we have is if there is no cell towers in your area so your phone won't work.
tommildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #22

I'm getting a Wifi Ranger Sky & Go2 installed on my new trailer, as well as the Wilson Electronics 4G cell booster. Coupled with my AT&T mifi, I should be set for all connections.

Please don't hog wifi or cell bandwidth by trying to stream netflix!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How are you accessing the net? Via cell phone. Then a Cradlepoint router (Model depends on your phone) is a good choice.

if you use park Wi-Fi, then the Wi-Fi Ranger is a good choice.

What do I use.. Well, I kind of designed my own based on what was in my "Junque" box

I use a vintage (by computer standards) Linksys WGA-54G (Wireless game adapter) this is kind of a "wi-fi modem" and a small office/home class Router, the router thinks it is hooked to a cable modem (The WGA).

Works, most of the time Alas will NOT connect to my cell phone or selected other routers.

Tags
travel