RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

Apollo by Toastmaster Microwave oven appears dead

We have a DSDP 2003 model with Apollo Microwave 22" microwave oven and was using it without an issue when suddenly while opening the door, the light goes out, panel goes dark and microwave breaker tripped. Reset the breaker and the outlet comes back on, but the microwave is completely dead. no lights, no fan, no nothing.
Problem is this is an odd size microwave in a cabinet (22") and I'm not sure if it can be replaced very easily.
Are these units generally repairable? I realize it is cheaper to replace than repair but if you can't find a replacement due to the size, I am wondering if they can be repaired. Maybe just a fuse? but something caused it to trip the breaker, so I'm assuming it needs to be repaired.

kmb1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Might check to see if there is a slow blow fuse on the inside of the unit. A lot of the older models had this fuse. Worth a look. Hope you find the problem. Good luck.

hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
DJJ

Same MW in my 03 DSDP. Ours still works but tried to find an over the range replacement and have found nothing 22" wide. Only thing I could come up with is to make a shelf where old one is and use a counter top model. Or go the used route and try to find one on a shelf at a salvage yard. All that being if you can't get it fixed. Good luck, mine has such a hot spot when heating.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:47 AM   #4

Since this is an Over The Range style (with vent, and light) wouldn't I need to get an OTR style? I would think the cooktop below would need to have a vent. ??
Old 06-10-2019, 03:56 AM   #5
DJJ

Apollo by Toastmaster Microwave oven appears dead

That would certainly be my preference. But what to do if a replacement like that does not exist? I have a Fan-tastic roof vent in front of the MW that could be used as in exhaust for the stove when needed, not ideal but a work around.

If and when mine quits if we are on our summer travels my plan is to just buy a cheep counter top to finish the trip with. Then once back home try and find one in a salvage yard or parts to fix mine. Next option would be to gut this MW and try to fit a counter top in the case keeping the exhaust fan and light since they are in the part of the case that slopes down. The fan and light would have to be re-wired to a switch somewhere. Last resort is the shelf with a counter top MW above the stove. I guess a good cabinet maker could rework the cabinet next to the MW to fit the current 28" width models I'm just not sure how it would look.

This is our 7th year traveling in the RV and one of the first things my wife complained about was the hot spot in the MW. When I found out it was no longer made I called Newmar, the parts guys said they bought all that were available when they quit making them and sold the last one about 6 months before my call.

Jeff
Old 06-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Call Apollo and ask. I think this is the number 800-330-9707 I called when we had trouble a few years ago. We had an Apollo microwave in our Winnebago Navion. I made a turn too sharp into a campground and the glass tray in the microwave broke the inside glass on the door.

The tech person at Apollo, who was very helpful, explained how to fix it and sold me a new piece of glass and the glue for a reasonable price.

https://www.apolloworldwide.info
Old 06-14-2019, 11:38 PM   #7

UPDATE ON DEAD APPOLLO MICROWAVE:
This microwave has been able to be repaired. Called a microwave repair company in Flagstaff Arizona, a technician came out and quickly repaired the microwave without even having to remove it from the cabinet. He changed several microswitches and a fuse and all is working fine. Apollo did send me some spare parts and I will hold on to them for the future. All is well for now.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:52 AM   #8
DJJ

Thanks for the update. Good to know parts are available.

Jeff

Tags
microwave