Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #1

AquaHot Front fans not working

The two floor fans/blowers for the front heat vents quit working. Where should I start to look for the problem. I assume it's a fuse or similar since both fans quit working at the same time. I can't believe both fan motors went bad at the same time.

Steve
2004 Mountain Aire 4018
Rileychi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure that your circulator pump for this circuit is functioning? In many applications the fans will not blow unless a warm water sensor reaches a certain temp. This keeps the fans from blowing cold air.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
My front fan also does not function when I turn them on either setting. I took off the middle dash console and tried to manually turn the fans and they are stuck in place, that is if I grabbed the right thing and tried to turn. Felt like the inner part of a squirrel fan so assume so.

Can't really access them other than a long reach to attempt to turn, my RV tech saids I will have to somehow pull off the dash front and replace with an aftermarket. Not attempted to do that yet.....

If your heat is working from any of the other fans then its not your pump. Not sure if there's a fuse to run the fans or not. Would be interested myself.....
Old 12-13-2019, 12:05 PM   #4

1) try to spin the fan. If seized, replace the fan motor
2) If free spin, check for voltage at the fan to ground and check that the ground is a good connection to negative. Fix the ground if not solid
3)If no voltage, check for same at the Aquaheat controller that provides the power. If power exists, then it's somewhere in the wire between controller and fan. Check the ends to ensure they are ok. You can put a small hole in the wire and probe it with a VOM lead to see if the connector is bad or the wire.
4) If no voltage on the wire, find where the harness runs and check mid way to isolate which half is broken. Ultimately find the break and repair.
5) if the controller has no voltage...then it's either not in the mode to feed voltage or there is an internal issue. Advanced DIY'rs / electrical folks can dig in deeper look at relays on the board etc.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
1) try to spin the fan. If seized, replace the fan motor
2) If free spin, check for voltage at the fan to ground and check that the ground is a good connection to negative. Fix the ground if not solid
3)If no voltage, check for same at the Aquaheat controller that provides the power. If power exists, then it's somewhere in the wire between controller and fan. Check the ends to ensure they are ok. You can put a small hole in the wire and probe it with a VOM lead to see if the connector is bad or the wire.
4) If no voltage on the wire, find where the harness runs and check mid way to isolate which half is broken. Ultimately find the break and repair.
5) if the controller has no voltage...then it's either not in the mode to feed voltage or there is an internal issue. Advanced DIY'rs / electrical folks can dig in deeper look at relays on the board etc.
Since my fan is seized would you know how to gain access to the system? I see only how to get the center console off, which is not enough to work on the unit.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #6

Post a picture of the area and where the fan unit is.
My 2002 MA all of the fans are very easy to access. The front is behind a removal panel. One just unscrews some of the long #2 drive wood screws holding the radiator to the floor. Then there is enough tubing to slide the radiator / fan assy where you can remove the fans and replace. I don't know what's changed in the 4 years since.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
Are you sure that your circulator pump for this circuit is functioning? In many applications the fans will not blow unless a warm water sensor reaches a certain temp. This keeps the fans from blowing cold air.
This is how mine work.

May be a bad zone pump, or stuck valve.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #8

If the fan is mechanically seized (I assume he tried to spin the fan with a finger and it's no move), then it's NOT any other complexities to get lost in. Replace the fan and enjoy the warmth.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I was replying to the OP's question .
Old 12-14-2019, 10:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I’m guessing this is too good to be true to solve your problem, but here is what happened to me. We have three fan-related switches on our dash, side by side:

Left-most switch: “O.H.Fans”
Center switch: “High, Medium, Low”
Right-most switch: “Front Fan, High, Off, Low”

I didn’t know what these were, and the owners manual was no help.

On my first warranty list to Nappanee I told them the front fan for the Oasis heat didn’t work. Turns out the right-most switch controls the front Oasis blower, and if it’s not on either high or low, no warm air.

So, I hope you find that it’s just the switch on the dash, but probably too much to hope for.
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
AquaHot Front fans not working

I also have an 2004 Mountain Aire 4018 with a Hydro hot front fan motor not working.
I removed the center panel with switches and radio backup monitor to gain limited access to the Komfort Heat Exchanger. You can reach in to see if the motor will turn. Feel for the squirrel cage blowers on each side of the rear of the unit.
I squirted some WD-40 on the arbor next to the motor. It worked for a couple days.
I have ordered a new motor.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:59 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccusa View Post
I also have an 2004 Mountain Aire 4018 with a Hydro hot front fan motor not working.
I removed the center panel with switches and radio backup monitor to gain limited access to the Komfort Heat Exchanger. You can reach in to see if the motor will turn. Feel for the squirrel cage blowers on each side of the rear of the unit.
I squirted some WD-40 on the arbor next to the motor. It worked for a couple days.
I have ordered a new motor.
2 questions....

How will you gain enough access to replace the old fans. With just the center console removed mine had very little room to work\see what you are doing.

Where do you get the fans, my are seized also.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2019, 06:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
2 questions....

How will you gain enough access to replace the old fans. With just the center console removed mine had very little room to work\see what you are doing.

Where do you get the fans, my are seized also.

Thanks!
Best is to post a pic of what you have. Not even sure when you say "center console" what you are speaking of. Center consoles were between the passenger and driver in an automobile. Someone might have your exact RV and have had the same problem. But your odds of someone being able to help you will grow significantly if they see what you are trying to fix.

You can get the fans from a hydrohot / aquahot dealer (I assume you have one of those).
https://www.parts.rvhydronicheaterre...angers_c13.htm
Old 12-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #14

Thanks to all that replied.

Our coach is at the Newmar Service Center and the problem is a wore out blower fan. At this time I am not replacing due to the cost. Hopefully won't need it in Florida!

BTW, I had the appointment at Newmar to remove and reinstall the windshields. Thought I'd ask them to look at the fan while in for the windshield work.
Rileychi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan