Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2018, 01:44 AM   #29

I use the factory installed air hose connection in the front of my Dutch Star next to the generator, works great and has something like ten times the volumn of air that the portable units have, and you can't wear out one of them bendix tru flo air compressors on your diesel engine, sometimes the unloader valve will get dirty and cause problems but I have seen them go for half a million miles. Depending on the model mounted on the engine they can have a output of 24cfm vs 1.8 on the portables, and if you need more pressure the control governor can be adjusted to a certain amount if needed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2018, 05:50 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Onboard compressor...w/mechanical air booster mounted in Gen. Bay near Freightliner manifold. 50’ hose will reach all eight tires on coach...and toad, if parked in front of coach. Have a spirally extension hose if toad is behind coach being towed.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcker View Post
I use the factory installed air hose connection in the front of my Dutch Star next to the generator, works great and has something like ten times the volumn of air that the portable units have, and you can't wear out one of them bendix tru flo air compressors on your diesel engine, sometimes the unloader valve will get dirty and cause problems but I have seen them go for half a million miles. Depending on the model mounted on the engine they can have a output of 24cfm vs 1.8 on the portables, and if you need more pressure the control governor can be adjusted to a certain amount if needed.

How high is your highest tire pressure? Mine is 115 PSI and wondering if it goes that high at that fitting. I know the system goes to about 130 PSI.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Onboard compressor...w/mechanical air booster mounted in Gen. Bay near Freightliner manifold. 50’ hose will reach all eight tires on coach...and toad, if parked in front of coach. Have a spirally extension hose if toad is behind coach being towed.

Did you have to add the booster to fill tires?
Old 03-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #33

Hey Snowhawk I see you have the Dewalt pancake. I’m thinking about getting that one. How do you like it? Have you used it much? I’ve always had good luck with Dewalt tools. The front tires on my Entegra took 120 psi and it was hard getting them to that pressure. I have a Viair RV model but it died on me. Checked the fuse, it was good. I’m at a loss with it.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
I use this Senco air compressor to top off the tires. Works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #35
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
While DeWalt does make good tools, the portable pancake compressor is heavier, bulkier and more expensive than the Porter Cable CMB-15 compressor that many of us have used successfully for several years. And, the PC goes to 150 psi, more than sufficient for airing coach tires.

Certainly, it is you choice, but I recommend at least looking at the CMB-15. And, I have no connection with Porter Cable except for being a very satisfied user.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahai View Post
I use this Senco air compressor to top off the tires. Works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have this compressor and found that it needed to run consistently and took along time at 100 psi to change 5 pounds due to volume.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:25 AM   #37

Those who like the Viair 450P, is it the RV model that comes with RV connectors or the regular 450P that you use?
nursecamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:37 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Did you have to add the booster to fill tires?
Without the booster it’s like watching paint dry.

The coach system modulates between 80 -120 psi. I have 100 psi in the fronts.

When air flows thru a 50ft hose there is a certain drop in pressure. This results in either a painfully slow fill at 120 psi all the way down to letting air out of the front tires at < 100 psi.

The booster I have regulates input pressure to a consistent 80psi...then mechanically doubles it sending 160 psi to the chuck, where I see about 150psi.

It actually fills the tires very nicely.

I would eventually like to add a Viair holding tank (rated for over 200 psi) which I could plumb via a check valve...and have a separate tank drain and safety blowoff valve...regulated output. The volume would allow me to set the pressure I need to operated air tools. But...too many projects on the list ahead of that one for now...
Old 03-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursecamper1 View Post
Those who like the Viair 450P, is it the RV model that comes with RV connectors or the regular 450P that you use?
I bought this one: http://amzn.to/2F79d7b It has the RV after the model number. Came with everything I need for my DP. I would purchase another one of these if it got lost somehow. (hopefully that never happens)

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
How high is your highest tire pressure? Mine is 115 PSI and wondering if it goes that high at that fitting. I know the system goes to about 130 PSI.
My highest tire pressure is 100 PSI so the onboard system works great for me, I did put 110 in the front one time and it worked fine with the engine at 1200 rpms. 120 psi might be a challenge without some mods or help like a booster or something.

Tags
compressor