RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think he is on the border line but really wishs he was way south in maybe warmer weather.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

Scott, I hold a CDL and drove many a fire truck in the snow of western PA,so it's not that it truly bothers me....What bothers me is the salt and slush ALL OVER the brand new coach and the Stacker as well....Not something that thrills me.

Having said that,as Roger has hinted I would indeed choose to be in warmer climes....

By the way.... SEE YA THERE!!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:13 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Bob,

I was poking fun at my situation. If I were in your location, I would hate to go North. As soon as it makes sense for our family, we will see very little winter.

I hate to see that rig of yours get salted. Does the factory wash your rig while there, or at least powerwash it for salt underneath? Or perhaps have a place for me to wash it down.

Even if I wash it 1 mile away, it will still have salt by the time I get to the factory.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:49 AM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

I am going to try and get them to power wash the undercariage and then the FIRST thing I will do when settled back in the south will be to have it done again...

No, I'm not crazy about heading to Nappanee this time of the year,but I look at it as something that really would be better to go ahead and get taken care of NOW, more so than later.
All this stuff is fresh on the minds of my tech and they're willing to make a BUNCH of upgrades to the coach,including a couple I've asked for,so I'm going to work my way up there and have the issues taken care of.

I can tell you that,in my opinion there's NO BETTER place to have the issues taken care of.

Now...if someone would just pray for a warm front to come through,we'd be all set!!

Sorry Scott, couldn't "read" that you were actually poking fun...
Old 02-02-2007, 04:53 AM   #19

Bob

Take it easy. If you're going on I80 west of Snowshoe Pass that's probably one of the worst and most dangerous stretches of highway I've ever been on. Especially this time of the year. I've had a 45 ft MCI sideways on one of those downhill - curves and it wasn't fun at all. I'd almost see if I could go west somehow through Indianapolis and then north to the factory. I try and avoid I80 if at all possible.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:26 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Foster:
I've had a 45 ft MCI sideways on one of those downhill - curves and it wasn't fun at all.
Jack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
All I can say is
Old 02-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Bob,
If the weather is bad, don't go. Discression is the better part of valor. Live to drive another day. I once had an ex Air Force fighter wing commander work for me. The bottom line is that when in doubt, turn around and get home, save the airplane.

I can not suggest a good way for you to get accross the mountains. In good weather it is a hard drive. My suggestion is to take the lesser of all the evil routs. This time of the year that means to stay South. The route you suggested is the most Northern choice. More importantly it is close to the windward side of the Great Lakes. Lake effect weather is more common on this route. My first choice would be I64 to Lexington, KY. My second choice would be I70 to Indianapolis. All the routes are up/down and around. The routes to the South keep you away from the Great Lakes, lake effect weather.

Good luck and be safe.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #22
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks folks....I am assessing the route and the weather this evening.

I can always abort the mission as well..
Old 02-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob:

We left here for Rockford, Il about this time of year to get our present rig. The route from here through KY (Lexington to Louisville) then to Indiannopolis was not bad at all. The only mountains encountered of any significance were on I-77 to Charleston, WV and that is a very good road. If you hit 64 W to I-81 S to 460 then I-77 at Princeton, WV, you should have a fairly easy drive. Can't comment on the leg from Indy to Elkhart...never been there....yet.

Like you, I'd hate to bathe that baby in salt slush but that's why pressure washers were invented.

Whatever you decide, safe travels and hope to see you in our neck of the woods soon.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #24
Administrator Emeritus

THANKS GARY!
Old 02-03-2007, 02:36 AM   #25

Ohio Turnpike near Akron / Cleveland is flat and clear. We are expecting Lake Effect snow all weekend, but it is always maintained well in the event of snow. Easy 3.5 hour drive to Newmar from here. If you are coming this way (20 minutes north of Ohio Turnpike) and need a place to pull over and plug in, come on by. I have a wide backin full hook up site with 50 amp service on my property. I have a friend with a Marathon H3-45 that stops by occassionally. Just one call and I can have it cleared of snow. My MH is sitting in a warm building until March.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:59 AM   #26
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Jerry, I'm most likely going to head toward Lexington,Ky then Cincy then Indy then straight up 31 to 6 and into Nappanee...
I remember Route 31 from having taken it when I went to Nappanee from Atlanta and it's a four lane divided highway....

Will most likely not be on the forums until Monday as the aircard isn't liking the new laptop...
Old 02-03-2007, 05:07 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Bob,

If you're taking I-75 through Cinci and get stuck or in real bad weather, at mile marker 12 or 14 north there is a Quality Inn that has about 20 spots in their parking lot. You pull through and hook-up if needed.

Pretty slick set-up as there are no campgrounds around open at this time of year. Being from Michigan originally, had to use it coming home from Florida in a blizzard.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:57 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Scott,
When you see Bob, can you have him buy some fuses for me? I will see him before I see you again. I need a 7.5 AMP ATC blade fuses. The fuse is for the radio circuit. If he could pick up 5 fuses that would be great. The exact number is not important. Whatever comes in the package is okay. I need one now and the balance is for stock.

This may be something you want to consider getting while at Newmar. Look over the fuses your coach requires and get a supply.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote