Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #1

Atwood Level Legs Jack problem.

Ever had a product where you held your breath when you use it? I've had one repaced when the coach was new, replaced the main module (containing the balancing mechanism), have to occasionally manually retract one leg (keep an electric drill with right socket handy), and now this evening I sit unbalanced because my panel does not recognize my parking break being set. Otherwise I love my Level Legs and they work great ... well when they work.

Question, has anyone had the experience with the unrecognized parking brake problem? How did you correct it?

Thanks

2005 Newmar Scottdale
Ncsoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2006 Workhorse W22 Chassis with the step on parking brake and I've had to release and reset the parking brake sometimes to get my Atwood jacks to work.

There was a discussion on the Tiffin RV Net about Atwood coming out with new jacks that were redesigned and having less problems.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
If you have a Ford chassis there is TSB326 in the Newmar Motorhome & RV Parts Lookup | Newmar Corporation
page at Newmar. Click on the link and navigate to "Technical Reference" Technical Service Bulletins" and choose the "TSB #301 THRU TSB #400". This TSB is for 2008 coaches but maybe some 2005's were wired wrong too.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #4

OK. Finally noodled it out. The switch on the brake peddle is bad. Tough little sucker to get to. Can wiggle it and get the parking brake recognized. Replaced the spade on wire with no results, but twisted the switch and it now works. Can deal with it on my trip.

Thanks for your suggestions. All filed away.

Happy travels.

2005 Newmar Scottdale
Ncsoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you look closely at plunger on switch you can see threads. If you remove wiring, after identifying, you can turn the plunger to get a better switch contact on brake pedal shaft.
Did it for mine because your auto stairs also works through switch which I had a problem with.
Also take a look at this link where I placed a spring for full brake pedal return than take a look at link at bottom of post as to what most people added on the bell crank shaft, I would think your 05 coach would have it already maybe needs some grease.
Scroll down on the other link to see fix.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
I have a 2006 Workhorse W22 Chassis with the step on parking brake and I've had to release and reset the parking brake sometimes to get my Atwood jacks to work.

There was a discussion on the Tiffin RV Net about Atwood coming out with new jacks that were redesigned and having less problems.

Good Luck,
Jon
Not to take away from IRV2 but www.trvn.com has several in depth and active posts on this subject. Search; Atwood Jacks.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Trouble getting that link but I have a Newmar PRODUCT BULLETIN on the Atwood jacks I found.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1173589]Trouble getting that link but I have a [B][URL="http://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env77NEWMAR/html/images/PIB011.pdf
Newmar PRODUCT BULLETIN[/URL][/B] on the Atwood jacks I found.
Roger,
That is a great article however that is the "new" style with sensor technology. It is the previous version that is the problem child.

Atwood has several articles and manuals on their own web page.

For anyone experiencing issues with their Atwood Jacks do not hesitate to call Sue Noyes at Atwood, 546-266-4703. She has always been more than helpful with me. Put your nice voice on and you will find she has one too!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #9

Glad you found the switch. After 5 jack failures(digging holes to remove them, building ramps to install replacements, etc. etc.-nothing a "nice voice" could help) we replaced ours with HWH hydraulics and have never looked back!

Tags
atwood