Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Atwood Level Legs problem

I have a 2007 Kountry Star 3910. The levelers work perfectly to automaticly level and all retract... but that is only when you can get the buttons to activate.

My unit only works when the ignition is in the on position (with the engine off) The manuals says it should be in the accessory position, but it has never worked that way.

My problem is the you have to push the on button many times to get it on. Likewise when pushing the auto level or all up functions. Sometimes I have to turn the ignition key back and forth a few time to get the lights to come on. Sometimes they work the first time and others they do not.

I removed the keypad and cleaned the connector with De-oxit, but no improvement. My theory is either the battery voltage may be low, or that a ground connection has become corroded.

I'm thinking the problem is a connection issue, but the location of my controller is mid coach inside a compartment. Nearly impossible for an old guy to reach.

Has anyone had this exact problem and found the cause?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #2

My experience is you likely have a control panel going bad. There is no good fix for that. I had considered just putting toggle switches in but decided to ditch attwood and go HWH.

If that's you're problem, welcome to the club, we've been waiting for you. With a 2007, you're late.
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
You may be able to salvage the control panel by disassembling it and cleaning the membrane keypad contacts. They are like remote controls and get gummed up with stuff and stop working, DW would disassemble them and clean them with alcohol and get several more years of service from them. Not sure how easy it would be with the Atwood panel but it may be worth a try.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #4

I have a similar problem and have found that the control pad works best with the engine running at a fast idle. Seems to operate better when it is getting full voltage.

2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
Kraft Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #5

I have a 2008 Bay Star. I just yesterday finished installing A Gama Electronics RF system on my levellegs. It was like yours anyone’s guess if it would work. It hasn’t work in manual mode for a long time and it was getting cranky to power it up.

I now use a remote to lower and raise the legs works great—-no auto level but it works for me.
Cost me with wire etc $225 and it was a project that enjoyed doing.
Rudy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Atwood jacks had problems with grounds to your chassis frame and it was said new ground wires from your negative battery post run to the frame of your jack. You need a good ground for your positive battery to get back to battery.
This link can lead you to all threads involving the jacks the QT's #3 link has answers and the TECH link below in my signature.
The bolts on the jack to chassis frame maybe rusting up and causing the poor return ground to battery all connections battery to chassis frame, jacks need to be clean and if you can make sure the mechanics of jack is lube and not rusting up.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
My 2007 Kountry Star DP has to have the engine running (I put engine on fast idle) to have enough electrical power to activate the jacks. Been like this from day one when I bought new and as briefed by the dealer and factory folks. If engine not running I likely could not get them up or down
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
imgoin4it engine running when retracting makes sense, but when extending, how can you blow the air with the engine running
Old 11-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Craig36. Do not know answer to your question and never thought about it, but when I hit auto level air dumps and jacks start extending. Has worked this way from the day I bought it. I was told from day one the engine had to be running. In fact at the dealer before I even left the lot I forgot this instruction and tried to level with engine off and jacks tried to move but just didn’t have enough “juice” to work. Having said this I now have trouble retracting mine. Have to recycle them several times to get all up and it is not necessarily the same jack. Worked as I described for about 10 years now they drive me up the wall because I’m never sure they are going to retract.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #10

I always level and store with engine running. I’ve tried a few times with engine off key on but get low voltage on controller.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy5 View Post
I have a 2008 Bay Star. I just yesterday finished installing A Gama Electronics RF system on my levellegs. It was like yours anyone’s guess if it would work. It hasn’t work in manual mode for a long time and it was getting cranky to power it up.

I now use a remote to lower and raise the legs works great—-no auto level but it works for me.
Cost me with wire etc $225 and it was a project that enjoyed doing.
Which Gamma Electronics product did you get (part #?)
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #12

Fire doc
I used 4–28-3P-MOM toggle switches
1–RF-340-4PR-ASL Remote control system
1–LR-340 long range external antenna
I bought these from Gama Electronics’s web site. They also have a every good you tube video on the RF-340-4PR-ASL that explains how to set it up etc.

I installed these because my Atwood system was not working all the time. It was always a question if it would even power up. I always had the engine running and a good charge on the chassis battery. It would not power up with out the engine running.
Rudy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks to all who responded. My coach is at the repair shop replacing a leaking air bag, so I asked them to clean all ground connections, as that is usually the cause of problems. If that doesn't work, I'll try with the engine running.

Tags
atwood, problem