RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Atwood Levelegs system

Have read and reread operating instructions included with subject system on my coach and let's just say they leave a lot to be desired in terms of explanation. I am used to an auto control on my last coach which actually leveled the coach. Apparently the Atwood system auto control only returns the jacks to a pre-set position which may or may not level the coach. Is this correct ?? If so, how do you automatically level or do you have to manually level this system ??

DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #2

They are automatic(and do a great job of leveling). Engine running! Parking barke on, engine in neutral. On the Atwood control panel push "on"(wait processing until all lights are green), push "auto"!

To retract-engine running, park brake, neutral, push "on", push "retract and all" simultaneously.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #3

Mine levels just fine, too. They used the wrong gauge ground cable and I got a recall on it. It's in the shop to be fixed tomorrow.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Dave, my experience is it levels the coach some of the time, not all. For example, at the Evergreen RV resort (the location of the iRV2 National Rally) this year, I could not get it leveled using the auto function.

I think the problem was it was unelevel in two directions, i.e both front to rear and side to side. When leveling is simple, it does OK.

The end result is I have it set to auto level where I use it most (at home) and I manually level in other situations.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Something does not sound right. I have the same level legs and they auto level every time. I agree the directions and explanations in their paper leave a lot to be desired. I called them and they explained exactly how they work. They were extremely helpfull. The one thing they did dwell on was that I should have a qualified Service Center set the pad. ( mine originally did not level correctly unless basically level to start with). It is an electrical sensing system that once the coach is "manually" leveled then ,the system set or programmed, it puts the coach back in the same position every time you hit the Auto button, in other words "level", regardless of the ground on which you are setting. To delete the incorrect level program, which I believe is what you are experiencing, you have to remove a wire from one of the jacks etc, etc, etc. I followed Atwood,s advice and had one of their service centers re-set the system and it works good.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoin4it View Post
Something does not sound right.
imgoin4it - I appreciate your explanation. I read the system should be "programmed" once the level state has been achieved but have not followed that procedure yet. Hopefully if I do that, I will then have an auto level function. If not, I will heed your advice and contact Atwood. I surely expected the system should auto-level my coach but the limited number of times we've used it so far, we have had mixed results. Maybe it has never been programmed ?

One further question - When your coach is level are all jacks contacting the ground ?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #7

Yes, all jacks are contacting the ground. Once out of maybe 20 times there might be one jack that is just off the ground, which could be from settling(ground) or slides changing the weight distribution(balance). Make sure you do not over extend jacks when doing manually and place something under them when having long extensions.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #8

I've had a couple of places where 1 jack did not touch the ground. Obviously that was the highest corner on the site.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Follow Up: Programmed jacks after assuring coach was level (handy to have it stored at home when not in use) per Atwood instruction sheet and it appears it works fine now returning to level. Apparently, the system was never programmed - you would think the dealer would do that as part of prep.

Thanks for the help - as always, this forum sure makes up for shoddy instruction manuals.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #10

Our first trip out this weekend and the auto-level was not level.
Although the site was far from even, most of our camping will be done on rugged sites.
The instructions are far from detailed and I will have to re-program the auto-level as well. I couldn't figure out how to manually move just one jack individually, it only allowed me to do both front,rear,or each side as a pair.
How can I adjust just one jack at a time?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoomer View Post
The instructions are far from detailed and I will have to re-program the auto-level as well. I couldn't figure out how to manually move just one jack individually, it only allowed me to do both front,rear,or each side as a pair.
How can I adjust just one jack at a time?
You can't, you have to move in pairs. Think about it, give it some thought. You can achieve the same result by moving pairs as you can by moving a single. It's also better for your RV.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
You can't, you have to move in pairs. Think about it, give it some thought. You can achieve the same result by moving pairs as you can by moving a single. It's also better for your RV.
I understand your point about it being better for the rv as you don't twist the frame. My issue will be that we almost never camp on a rv site, we are boondocking all the time and the spots can be very uneven. I'll get it but it would be nice to tweek it one jack at a time.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoomer View Post
I understand your point about it being better for the rv as you don't twist the frame. My issue will be that we almost never camp on a rv site, we are boondocking all the time and the spots can be very uneven. I'll get it but it would be nice to tweek it one jack at a time.
Take a few non-pressure treated boards with you. Put some under the lowest spots under the jacks to even things out a bit. Then auto level.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RoadRunner View Post
Take a few non-pressure treated boards with you. Put some under the lowest spots under the jacks to even things out a bit. Then auto level.
Also put them under the tires that are on the low spots otherwise they may be off the ground.