Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #1

Atwood leveling jacks on 2010 Ventana

We just bought this Ventana a couple of weeks ago. The Atwood leveling jacks seem to be very tempermental. Sometimes they all extend, rarely do they all retract, sometimes we have to manually extend each one at a time, or manually retract each one at a time. The front passenger jack seems to be a problem about 90% of the time. The other 3 are problems about 50% of the time.
Is this common, or do we have a problem that needs to be taken to a dealer?
Howyduyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
The Atwood jacks of your year coach may or may not have a design flaw that will cause them to fail. If, when you retract them, each jack makes a snapping sound for about 1/4 to 1/2 second at the end of the travel you have the bad design. If they stop and make no snapping sounds they are the new, good design. You can also tell by looking at the manual (the new one says something about "sensors") or the control panel, post back if you need some help. If you do have the old system it will be when, not if they fail.

A common symptom of the bad jacks just before they break is erratic operation, they will stop extending or retracting. Ours got so bad I had to go under the coach and operate the balky one manually to get it to go. About a week later it broke.

The fix was relatively simple for the three that broke on us, we were sent new shear pins at no cost and I took the jacks apart and installed them, however it was a constant worry if the jacks would work or if I'd be under the coach replacing one. I had been sent an extra jack for another reason so fortunately I could swap them out.

There are several threads on this board from the 2009 to 2014 time frame regarding these jacks, if you have trouble finding them post and one of us will help find them.

We negotiated with Atwood and Newmar and had ours replaced in 2014 with the new, good design. However the jack line has been sold to LCI so it's unknown whether they will do anything for you.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
... However the jack line has been sold to LCI so it's unknown whether they will do anything for you.
According to THIS THREAD, those of us with the Atwood LL's are on our own should the system fail.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howyduyu View Post
We just bought this Ventana a couple of weeks ago. The Atwood leveling jacks seem to be very tempermental. Sometimes they all extend, rarely do they all retract, sometimes we have to manually extend each one at a time, or manually retract each one at a time. The front passenger jack seems to be a problem about 90% of the time. The other 3 are problems about 50% of the time.
Is this common, or do we have a problem that needs to be taken to a dealer?
Thank you for the feedback. Our system definitely make the snapping or clicking noises, so it sounds like we have the old system. Please show us how to find the older threads/posts on this subject.
What system did they replace them with? Are you happy with this system?
Howyduyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Here is the search I ran from the search box towards the top of this page for atwood levelegs. Here is the search for atwood shear pins. There's lots of information there. Note any information regarding getting parts from Atwood is no longer relevant as Atwood no longer makes or sells the system. I did not take the time to look through all the shear pin results, however there may be a source for shear pins from other than Atwood or LCI listed there.

We have the new design Atwood jacks and really like them. They are electrical and I like that as I'd prefer to work on something electrical than hydraulic.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
The link from Luv2go is a excellent search link for you, which will be found in this link for other important links you need.
Atwood jacks have had their problems, some fixes required running a separate ground wire from each jack to the chassis frame, lube jack pivot points, you can find more jack info in this link or the COM_NET Network.
All the links below in my signature have answers for your Newmar.
Help in getting around irv2.
Enjoy the forums and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:38 AM   #7

I have an intermittent issue with the right front jack faulting out after a couple of seconds of travel. Turns out the controller is shot. That's as good as the news gets. I'm replacing the entire system with HWH this summer for about 6K$. I could try to find t used controller...But I'm done with the electric jacks
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #8

Bay Star Leveler Problems

This was an interesting post that the Atwood Levelers have been sold to another company. I just talked to Tech Support at Atwood yesterday and they certainly didn't mention about the levelers being sold.

My problem sounds similar, my rear and right front jacks seem to operate correctly but the left front gives me trouble. It either won't go down as far as the others or it won't go up. As I remember at one of our stops a year or so ago, I had to run the leveler down manually and I was thinking it may have reset the Auto position. The left front will go to a certain point and stop, then show the green light like it is OK. The LF leveler wouldn't retract all the way and I had to retract it using an electric drill. I have thought it may be a problem with the Auto position setting the for the jacks. I would assume you should set the Auto position in a nice level spot, have the system memorize they are all level, and it would be good to go. I don't have any real level spots in my driveway so that may be one of my problems.

The Tech(s) at Atwood were fairly helpful. One of them told me I should be exercising the levelers at least once a month and to keep them lubed with a Dry Lube with PTFE (Teflon) like CRC or WD40 brands. He said there were seals up in the shaft area that needed the lubrication.

I found an Atwood Leveler instruction for setting the Auto feature but it isn't clear to me if you should try the setup with them all the way down in a level area or when they are all retracted? Any thoughts from you folks would be appreciated.
2012 BayStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I'm glad to see you got good support. LCI and Atwood must have things straightened out.

When I set the level on mine I start in a place that is fairly level and manually operate the levelers until totally level, then do the process in the manual. I've noticed if I start somewhere that is not too level, manually level, then set the level, the system does not level well in places which are more level.

FYI, here's the press release describing this acquisition from Atwood. The chassis components include the electric leveling jacks. Drew Industries, who changed their name in early 2017 to LCI Industries, has been on a buying spree for several years, purchasing Hehr's window business, Kwikee steps and the Atwood's replacement glass business among other product lines.

Tags
atwood, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, vent, ventana