Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #1

Auto Gen Start

Newmar, at least for the 2019 Ventana, provides as standard an auto gen start based on low batteries or temperature. They don't appear to even option a battery monitor. Is it there and I'm just not "seeing" it maybe just a bare bones kind of thing that kicks the generator? Do I need to "tie in" the auto start when I get a (better) battery monitor? It would seem that a battery monitor should be an important part of a solar install or is it just something different.
RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVific View Post
Newmar, at least for the 2019 Ventana, provides as standard an auto gen start based on low batteries or temperature. They don't appear to even option a battery monitor. Is it there and I'm just not "seeing" it maybe just a bare bones kind of thing that kicks the generator? Do I need to "tie in" the auto start when I get a (better) battery monitor? It would seem that a battery monitor should be an important part of a solar install or is it just something different.
Darryl,
In our case, we had Newmar install the ME-BMK battery monitor during factory pickup. It wasn't a build "option" per-se, but the service department was willing to do the install. We purchased the unit ourselves beforehand and brought it with us. We didn't pay anything extra for the install labor since we already had essentially paid for a week of the tech's time for FPU. If you email Roger Watkins (service supervisor) he should be able to set things up for you. "rwatkins@newmarcorp.com"

A battery monitor basically allows you to keep track of your battery levels with a highly accurate 0% to 100% value called state-of-charge or SOC rather than relying on voltages. You don't technically need it for the AGS to work, but it's a very useful tool for keeping track of battery health, which is money well spend IMO if you have an expensive battery bank. The ME-BMK will integrate seamlessly with the other Magnum Energy equipment that will come standard on your coach. You can also do a relatively simple and inexpensive upgrade of your stock ME-RC to an ME-ARC to allow your AGS to be activated on SOC as well.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #3

Interesting side light is that our 18 LA has started up the gen without any input. We were connected to shore power and haven't made any adjustments or even used auto gen start.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVific View Post

You can configure AGS based on variable parameters such as you mention. The battery monitor is nice but really just adds percentages vs what you have now. It sounds like just some learning and understanding of your system first before worrying about adding a ME-BMK or ME-ARC50 which makes things a little more complex to understand but in the end is a nice mod.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Interesting side light is that our 18 LA has started up the gen without any input. We were connected to shore power and haven't made any adjustments or even used auto gen start.
Newmar Man
Tom, our generator has started by itself several times while we were driving even though I have the AGS turned off. Strange gremlins I guess.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #6

Our generator will start at random times though the AGS is turned off both in the control panel and at the inverter panel. I also get random 12V "events" like the water pump turning on/off, the AC fans running, the power steering wheel tilt activating and (here's the potentially worst one) random door looks. Do I have a controller issue, a bad ground, ...I don't know where to start.
David-n-Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
According to the 2019 Brochure AGS is a standard feature on the Ventana. Cannot speak for the LE version. There is a panel in the overhead compartment and one of it's functions is AGS, it may be through the Magnum Panel as well. I suggest you take out the Magnum manual and read about how to setup the AGS feature. Their also may be a separate panel called Power Control Systems. It could be associated with AGS. You should have a manual for both in the packet provided by Newmar, the information is in there. Although I have both manuals, I have not studied them enough to tell you how to enable AGS and how to set it up. However, there is a gob of videos on YouTube on magnum inverters, and one fellow shows you how to do it. NOTE: there is a sub-panel associated with the remote panel in OH compartment, you change those settings explained in the video on that one with a small screwdriver, based on how you want them to be.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote