RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Auto gen start question

Hi; I need some help & advice from the NEWMAR GURU's in the forum!

I have a 2020 Canyon Star on order. Added the upgrade residential refrigerator, which includes 2 additional batteries and a dedicated 1200 watt pure sine inverter. BUT...it does not include the "auto gen start" feature, even with the larger generator, which I also ordered.
Don't know the price yet, but Newmar says it can be added as a "Special"!

So, is it necessary to add it? Is it probably worth the added cost (unknown at the moment), or do I leave the order "as is"?

Thanks for your advice & comments!

Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I consider ags a necessity. Otherwise you end up running the generator more than required.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
AGS has become a necessity for us, since we have our dog. On hotter days, I make sure I program the AGS before we leave him inside while as we go out.

In the DS Magnum Panel, the AGS can be triggered via EXT TEMP, which monitors a sensor on the AC system. Just before the AC is needed, the Dometic communicates this back to the Magnum panel and the Gen is fired up.

At that point, it will stay on until the AC is no longer needed or the specific Run Time is reached.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I guess it's different for everyone. We've owned 3 coaches, since 2005, with AGS, and have never used it once. Where we typically boondock, there are limited hours of run time, usually early AM and late afternoon. I know I can set time limits for quiet time, but I prefer to be present when it's running. We're typically there early in the morning showering and doing breakfast and back from sightseeing for dinner.

To be fair, we've never camped with pets and only boondock about 5 days a year. If you're camping differs, you may want AGS.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Going up next month to have one added to our 2019 CS 3719. We added the 7.5 KW gen upgrade when we ordered unit, but weren’t aware it didn’t have a AGS. At CPU we talked to factory and set up the installation. Roughly $1700. We have two pups, I didn’t want a power issue at campsite to leave them without HVAC is we were away from coach.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Al:
We dry camped for 9 nights in July and are heading out for 7 nights of dry camping next Sunday. We were a little nervous as this is our 3rd DP, but first all-electric coach and wanted to be sure we didn't run out of battery power in the middle of the night. Once I got the AGS set up correctly for start time, run time, SOC, quiet hours, top off, etc. its the best. We have not used the temperature start yet, but will when in hotter climates to make sure dog stays cool. Highly recommend if you'll be dry-camping.
At the recommendation and direction of the good people on this site, I also added the BMK module to the battery bank and upgraded the AGS module so I can monitor state of charge (SOC) instead of just volts. Its a much more accurate way to monitor your battery bank. There is a great thread on the subject on this site.
Best of luck.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #7

I think it mostly depends on if you have pets that you leave alone in the coach. Then AGS is really good.

I've been thinking about adding it, but didn't now how much it might cost. The actual AGS module isn't expensive. But after seeing that $1,700 estimate, I'm guessing the wiring to and from it is the problem -- lots of labor.
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:54 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
While we were up for CPU one of the guys on the CS FB group was in getting a AGS done. It was my first awareness that we didn't have one in the unit. That was when I asked for a quote. the number shocked me. When I discussed with the other CS owner it was clear that it was a good bit of wiring work as the module and display are not high cost. Given the fire risk from poor electrical work, I choose the factory to do our install and set up the appointment. We live and camp in the south, we have pets, we need to be confident the HVAC will stay on line if we are out and the pets are in the coach. We'll take the opportunity to have the factory do some warrantee work and enjoy Amish cooking.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:39 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2road View Post
While we were up for CPU one of the guys on the CS FB group was in getting a AGS done. It was my first awareness that we didn't have one in the unit. That was when I asked for a quote. the number shocked me. When I discussed with the other CS owner it was clear that it was a good bit of wiring work as the module and display are not high cost. Given the fire risk from poor electrical work, I choose the factory to do our install and set up the appointment. We live and camp in the south, we have pets, we need to be confident the HVAC will stay on line if we are out and the pets are in the coach. We'll take the opportunity to have the factory do some warrantee work and enjoy Amish cooking.
Have you had the "AGS" installed? Or do you have an upcoming appointment to get it installed?
The reason I ask, is that I am being told that the "AGS" cannot be installed in my 2020 Canyon Star 3710!
According to my salesperson, the Newmar Sales Rep said that Newmar Engineering would not approve it! Seems to me if it can be installed in one Canyon Star, it should be able to be installed in another!
Thanks in advance for your response.
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2road View Post
Going up next month to have one added to our 2019 CS 3719. We added the 7.5 KW gen upgrade when we ordered unit, but werenít aware it didnít have a AGS. At CPU we talked to factory and set up the installation. Roughly $1700. We have two pups, I didnít want a power issue at campsite to leave them without HVAC is we were away from coach.
Do you have a diesel gen in your Canyon Star? I thought the largest Onan gas RV gen was 7 KW. Or is it a different brand?

$1700 seems pretty steep for a plug and play install per tge Onan Accessories catalog. But i admit running the wires could be a little difficult.
OakHillFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakHillFarm View Post
$1700 seems pretty steep for a plug and play install per tge Onan Accessories catalog. But i admit running the wires could be a little difficult.
I was hoping all the chassis came pre-wired for AGS. But apparently not.

And installation is probably different on each coach model depending on where the generator is, where the inverter is, and how you get wires between those two locations.
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
our appointment is for 9/11 (three days). it is specifically to install the AGS. I know for a fact that they have installed at least one other, since they did it for the CS on site when we did our CPU. if you are a member of the FB CS site, you can search it and find the posts detailing what he had installed. He subsequently did a major Solar install in Florida, so I am not sure what he retained in relation to the AGS. might just be a case of the time required to install and parts needed are not available to the build team on the line. will let you know more when we head up next month. j
Old 08-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Do you have a diesel gen in your Canyon Star? I thought the largest Onan gas RV gen was 7 KW. Or is it a different brand?

OakhillFarm, you are correct. Checked build sheet, it is 7 kw.

they are not using the ONAN AGS, they are using same brand as the Inverter. cost is driven by additional wiring required, quote was for 12 hours labor.

still feels high, but I am leaning to live with it.

j
Old 09-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #14

How did this install work out? After completion, do you feel it was worth the cost/effort?