Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Keith View Post
Briton - I did not have the AGS disabled, but I do now. As to the AC, when we leave the coach we turn off the thermostat, so that wasn't the culprit. I'm leaning more and more to the "ghost start" theory as there is no evidence that it was a power/battery type issue.

I've cleaned the connections, and re-positioned the wiring harness so that's done. The connector had a pretty healthy rubber seal on it, so its hard to see how moisture could have penetrated, but I cleaned and greased as suggested.

I'd still be interested in any ideas to completely disable the generator if possible. As noted, we live nearby but normally get to the coach only once a week or so. I'd hate to think it could ghost start and run for days on end. The good news/bad news is that it is so quiet even my next-door neighbor did not hear it, and from what we can tell it had been running for at least two days.

If I disconnected the wiring harness that I just cleaned (and sealed it up with a plastic bag against moisture) would that eliminate the possibility of a random start?
That might cause more moisture and preventing air from drying it out. The best thing you can do with the plug/connection, is get some electrical grease and seal it up with that............a good coating on the outside/inside of the connector.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Has this ever happened before? Critters/varmints have been known to start generators.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #17

Can someone explain where this connector is that needs to be cleaned and sealed with grease? I have a 2015 with the 8K generator. I looked on both sides and the front of the gen but didn't see any connectors. Is it possible it is all at the rear of the gen and only accessible from under the coach? The coach sets in our back yard but we are out of town occasionally for a week or so and would hate to come back from a trip and find that thing running. If I remember right the tech told us at the initial indoctranation on the new coach that he was setting the AGS at 11.9V.
Appreciate any help here.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Was the generator auto start on temperature enabled on the Magnum remote control? The Magnum AGS will start the generator if the CCC2 calls for cooling or heat pump operation regardless to the availability of shore power.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Andy - not sure what CCC2 is, but all air con units were turned off. After cleaning and greasing the harness I have not had a repeat to this point, so I am hopeful that was the problem. I have now turned off the AGS as well. So short of a varmint stomping on the ON switch I think I have covered all the bases
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
MD-Keith, if you haven't had a start since you last posted, I think you can assume one of your fixes solved the problem. Mine continued to get more frequent until I moved and moisture proofed that harness. Hope you are traveling without problems. Jim
JLDHELMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:27 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MD-Keith My Onan 10K has an 'on-off' switch mounted on the top face of the generator, often used to isolate the generator from any start while work is being performed. Recommend a close look on top and sides of yours. Let us know what you find - thanks
Old 01-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
CCC2 is the Dometic thermostat ( comfort control center).
The switch on the generator is a 110 V circuit breaker. It will not prevent the generator from starting, only to disconnect the generator from powering the coach.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
Old 01-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #23
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Keith View Post
Andy - not sure what CCC2 is, but all air con units were turned off. After cleaning and greasing the harness I have not had a repeat to this point, so I am hopeful that was the problem. I have now turned off the AGS as well. So short of a varmint stomping on the ON switch I think I have covered all the bases
This is what they look like.

Thermostat, Multiple Zone LCD Comfort Control Center 2 (black shown)
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
One thing that was mentioned and did not get the feeling it was grasped . AGS start on temperature should be disabled or set at 55 degrees. Also AGS is independent as to what setting is set on CCC2. So basically if you had CCC2 set at 55° and AGS set at 60° AGS would start and run and not shut down due to settings..
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:21 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
The 2015 DS does not have an AGS temp sensor. The coach is equipped with an extra AC control board which is located in the basement. For generator start on temperature the Magnum remote AGS temperature has to be set to "external" and the basement control board has to send a signal ( contact closure) when any zone calls for cooling.
When all AC units are set to "off" on the CCC2 thermostat, the 12V system is still alive. Theoretically it is possible that the thermostat can still can close the AGS contact and start the generator. I will check this out later today.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:37 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post

Can someone explain where this connector is that needs to be cleaned and sealed with grease?

Appreciate any help here.
If you pause this video at 24 seconds you will see the connector located on the passenger side of the generator.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
The 2015 DS does not have an AGS temp sensor. The coach is equipped with an extra AC control board which is located in the basement. For generator start on temperature the Magnum remote AGS temperature has to be set to "external" and the basement control board has to send a signal ( contact closure) when any zone calls for cooling.
When all AC units are set to "off" on the CCC2 thermostat, the 12V system is still alive. Theoretically it is possible that the thermostat can still can close the AGS contact and start the generator. I will check this out later today.

May be yours does not, but I can enable AGS on temp/voltage via my control panel on our 2015 4369. I have left MH in shed (no solar) and no shore power during test phase to test AGS on 12.1 voltage and genset started, also enabled on temperature genset started when set point on AGS was reached.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
It appears that the generator will start on a contact closure whether the control is set to "external" or any temperature. It will only start if the thermostat is on and an zone is calling for cooling or heat ( when mode is set to heat pump). My check shows that the generator will not start on temperature when the thermostat is powered off. The "start on voltage" function is independent from the thermostat settings.

Tags
generator