Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Autofill Max Time Exceeded error

Yeah yeah, this is not the first post on this topic, but I didn't find any real good answers on the broad forum search. This autofill situation is concerning as you don't know when it occurs and you could end up out of fresh water in a hurry. I was surprised to see fresh at 1/3rd this morning when I'm hooked up and this is not the first time it's happened. It's actually far too common of a problem. Thankfully with SeeLevel I can see it easier than others with only Newmar sensors, but is there a fix?

Is there anyway that anyone knows to disable this max time error or reset/extend it? It seems as if it's too short but I'm not sure the root cause of the issue in the first place. I typically use my water pump all the time even on city water because it does give me higher pressure, better flushes, better shower even with the regulator on 60psi. I don't know if the water pump is playing any part of this problem.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Yeah yeah, this is not the first post on this topic, but I didn't find any real good answers on the broad forum search. This autofill situation is concerning as you don't know when it occurs and you could end up out of fresh water in a hurry. I was surprised to see fresh at 1/3rd this morning when I'm hooked up and this is not the first time it's happened. It's actually far too common of a problem. Thankfully with SeeLevel I can see it easier than others with only Newmar sensors, but is there a fix?

Is there anyway that anyone knows to disable this max time error or reset/extend it? It seems as if it's too short but I'm not sure the root cause of the issue in the first place. I typically use my water pump all the time even on city water because it does give me higher pressure, better flushes, better shower even with the regulator on 60psi. I don't know if the water pump is playing any part of this problem.
Neal,
I use the "Time out" as an indication that my water filter needs replacement...
On the Silverleaf System the logic is:

- Fresh Water Quantity < Auto Fill Level = Yes
--(Y) Auto Fill = On, (N) Auto Fill = Off
*** LOOP Until Fresh Water Quantity = User Quantity Limit***
-Fresh Water Quantity Increase = "N" in Time "X" = Yes
-- (Y) Continue to Fill, (N) Auto Fill = Off (Stop Loop)
-Fresh Water Quantity = User Quantity Limit
-- (Y) Auto Fill = Off (Stop Loop), (N) Auto Fill = On

The logic assumes that if the indicated fresh water quantity fails to increase "N" amount in "X" time there must be a water leak so the logic terminates the Auto Fill Feature... Not sure I would disable this logic...
Old 09-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on Stealth01's cause ---> in our experience it's either clogging filter or low campground water pressure. Or your showers are WAAAYYY too long :-) (as in: it just keeps filling).

Following, in case there is really a way to extend the timeout function (without disabling the max fill function).
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I wonder if it's made worse by using an external filter at the hose connection then of course we have internal filters. But my coach is only 3 months old, 2 months of that camping. The external filter I only started using a month ago. I think it's lower pressure causing the problem but not sure, I'm still figuring it out. I wonder too if it's my "always using" water pump and if the pump is causing some negative pressure situation throwing off autofill. I'll look into the digilevel info I downloaded but seems far too brief. I may have to email them.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Neal, we had a single (few day) stay at one campground clog up a brand new external filter. Sometimes all it takes is some work on their water lines shaking loose rust along the way.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Once I reset it, it fills fast. I'm not sure when and why it gives the max time error.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #7

ever since I have picked up our coach, in April of this year I have had a terrible time filling the fresh water tank. The coach is a '17 VT 4037 with Autofill. It has taken longer and longer to fill the tank, with being timed out endlessly. I tried different hoses, with and without the pump on, etc. In preparation for a 6 day trip for a Dog Show I called Newmar, again, and they suggested the filter. I took the filter out of the coach and the fresh water tank filled within 10 minutes. I am surprised at how quickly the filter clogged and the effect on the coach. Needless to say, I plan to pack extra filters when traveling. I'm eager to try the fill With a new filter. I also, run the water pump when hooked to city water. Without the pressure is terrible. Any thoughts regarding water pressure?

John/Mo and the Schnauzers
'17 Ventana 4037
Agilitydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Great info. Everyone is pointing at the filter, I have spares of both external and internal. I'll change them out and see how things work out.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
It’s not your use of the water pump, I also use the pump all the time. Your use of two filters is more than the likely the cause of your issue. Remember, we’re not talking pressure here, we’re talking volume and assuming you’re using a water pressure regulator into a filter and then into another filter... My suggestion is get rid of the external filter and purchase good filter elements for your internal filter. ANd BTW, you will be shocked at how quickly they clog, especially in the Southwest!
Old 09-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Neal,
Quick update, left on the first leg of a long trip today. Went to top off the tank and it timed out. R&Red the water filter, hit "Fill" and the system immediately topped off!
Old 09-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Neal,
Quick update, left on the first leg of a long trip today. Went to top off the tank and it timed out. R&Red the water filter, hit "Fill" and the system immediately topped off!
I pulled mine from my spares bin, will R^2 it tomorrow as well. I removed the external filter today and arrived at new CG. Problem remains. So coach side filter will be replaced tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Anything I should know on changing the filter beyond unscrewing the plastic casing?
Old 09-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #13
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Anything I should know on changing the filter beyond unscrewing the plastic casing?
That is about it.

I sanitize my water system twice a year. I do this when I change my filter by pouring bleach into the filter container before putting the new filter in. Fill the water tank, flush and then install the new filter.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:37 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Used filter wrench, replaced filter. After only 3 months it was medium brown! Disgusting! Guess they don't last as long as expected. I have no problems replacing these filters frequently, I'd much rather trust what I'm drinking. Good thing to learn and very easy to replace.