Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The explanation is that 70% utilization is assumed.
Sounds like a utility thing, as they do what they want. NEC Table 551-73 gives demand factors for site feeders and service-entrance conductors for RV parks. Demand factors vary from 1.0 for a single site to 0.41 for 36 or more sites. But the utilities don't follow the NEC.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Sounds like a utility thing, as they do what they want. NEC Table 551-73 gives demand factors for site feeders and service-entrance conductors for RV parks. Demand factors vary from 1.0 for a single site to 0.41 for 36 or more sites. But the utilities don't follow the NEC.
I did get the impression that the number was their policy.

Can you explain how a 25kva transformer can handle 400amps of 240v?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #87

Quote:
The explanation is that 70% utilization is assumed. <snip> but they called it a 45 amp continuous load, and said that I was actually in violation of electric standards as I am pulling up to saturation point constantly.
The load is only continuous if it's running at full load for 3 hours or more, at least according to the NEC. If compressors are cycling and the clothes dryer shuts off, it's not continuous.

Quote:
Can you explain how a 25kva transformer can handle 400amps of 240v?
I wish I could. The NEC assigns 10-12 sites a demand factor of 50%, but you're getting something like 25%.

In the past, when requesting intermediate voltage wiring run on new poles plus a transformer for very large, stationary equipment and support facility, the utility has always supplied a transformer roughly 1/2 the kVA value we requested and nothing would move them to change that.

Transformers can usually handle a lot more current than their continuous or nominal rating for short times, but push enough through them and the magnetics saturate and you don't get any more. That happened to my FIL at his house where the transformer served too many residences for its capacity and everyone was getting severe voltage sag with A/C's running, including his RV roof A/C. Rather than break up the houses into two groups, they just upsized the transformer, and all is right in the world now.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
I wish I could. The NEC assigns 10-12 sites a demand factor of 50%, but you're getting something like 25%.

In the past, when requesting intermediate voltage wiring run on new poles plus a transformer for very large, stationary equipment and support facility, the utility has always supplied a transformer roughly 1/2 the kVA value we requested and nothing would move them to change that.
That is exactly what I am seeing happen here. I am building on property behind the RV park going in. I want 4FHU sites, 50A 240/120V RV electric, plus 200A service for the house.

The distribution designer for residential got offended when I questioned 25kva. So I tried again with the RV parks commercial designer. That is when he informed me that 10 RV sites are served by a single 25Kva transformer. I had a long dialog with him about how much amps these RVs use, and he shrugged, saying that they will all over deliver and it wont be an issue.

I did ask about autotransformers. He had no idea what I was talking about, but did say that new code is very slow to be adopted, sometimes decades.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #89
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I thought it was stated earlier that Hughes Autoformer is NOT an auto transformer.

Your statement sounds like it is.

I do understand that they have improved their device above any other on the market. I am just trying to determine if we are talking "Apples" and "Oranges"

Or "Red Delicious" vs "Granny Smith" apples.
I looked up the patent for the Hughes autoformer. It is an auto transformer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 7.18.17 PM.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	255961  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US6087818.pdf (591.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianotuna View Post
The NEC only covers hard wired devices--otherwise they would have to be testing any item that gets plugged in. So a plug in autoformer is not prevented by anything in the code.

I made no such claim, I was explaining who writes the Code and how it is adopted.

Devices with plugs are either UL "Listed" or not. Discussing the process for getting a product Listed is a slippery slope and most likely not germane to this topic.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Where do we go to turn ourselves in?

Where ever Officer Einstein sends you

Or to a memorial of Nicola Tesla (a real genius), or Tom Edison (a guy who hired geniuses and then shafted them on pay), or George Westinghouse (a guy who duplicated Edison's behavior).

If your Newmar is amphibious I suggest stops in Bavaria - Georg Ohm; England - Lord Kelvin & Isaac Newton.

Let us know how the rig handles the Big Pond!
Old 08-06-2019, 07:31 PM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I’m setting up an Amnesty drop off where you can surrender your electrical contraband. Please include your box and receipt if available to aid in processing. You’re welcome.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #93
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
When voltage boosters are outlawed, only outlaws will have voltage boosters!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #94

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
When voltage boosters are outlawed, only outlaws will have voltage boosters!

TJ

Well said Jim, I’m stocking up, the black market for voltage boosters is going to explode. $$$$$
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #95

What happens at the pedestal, stays at the pedestal.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:52 PM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
What happens at the pedestal, stays at the pedestal.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]still laughing, thanks
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:00 PM   #97

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just use an auto transformer to make up the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Who started this? Look at the waste of energy and BTU's consumed in commenting on this. Our energy bill is going up now from this thread :(
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #98

Today’s To Do List;
1)Start my class action law suit against Corey and Neal for illegal and unauthorized use of my allotted sunshine.....(until I can add solar)
2)order the Hughes hard wire kit for my newly purchased Autoformer so I can too can be a fugitive. Sounds like fun.
Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote