RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Automatic slide locks

We were loading a few things in the coach day before yesterday and opened the kitchen slide. When I hit the button, the auto locks opened and then immediately locked back. I released the button and started again. The locks opened and the slide went out. When we got ready to close the slide, the autolocks will not lock back. The slide comes in fine but no action on the locks. When I hit the button, I can the actuators jumping in the case at both ends of the slide so I know it isnt a fuse situation but neither one will lock. All the other slides seem ok.

Any ideas or suggestions? How bad is it to run without the locks in place. We are 100 miles from nearest Newmar recognized service center. Thanks for help.

ColoEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ColoEd,
The era of your coach has micro switches telling the control card the position of the locks. The micro switches have a history of getting out of adjustment. If this is happening to both the front and rear locks, the micro switches may be to blame. The switches are located inside each lock.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #3

Mine did that this year. I just ran them in and out a few times and everything got back on track. Mine would sometimes unlock, slide go out and then the locks would lock in the out position. Pushed the button again and locks retract and in came the slide. Most of the time they work great.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Try using a wood handle, like the handel of a hammer or broom handle and tap lightly on the lock, this may cause the micro switch to make contact, I did have to replace a motor last year.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a couple of threads in links about your slide locks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #6

Specifically ordered our coach WITHOUT them. Over 100,000 miles on two coaches no problem.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ed & Sheryl:

Don't know if this might apply,....but....is your rig level when cycling the slide? That is, make certain you're on a hard surface and jacks either have NOT sunk into soft surface and/or air bags have you level.

The reason for considering this, is that IF coach has, for instance, been sitting jacks down in an otherwise level appearing spot, if a corner has sunk or if the frame not alined correctly, an unnoticeable torque CAN keep lock outs from functioning correctly. Even on a hard surface which is sloped, switch contacts might not connect.

Steve
Old 04-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #8

If they are like my Essex, you can pull the cover on the controller and tweak the setting on the locks, Sometimes my locks wouldn't come on when pulled in. It works great now. The slide and lock works on Over amp like the door steps. If the slides won't start in or out there is a setting on the outside of the controller to raise the load setting.. Lots of time it is set too low and trips out that is what starts the locks.

Also what starts the locks when it is out is a mangnetic switch. If it doesn't make the slide thinks it isn't all the way out. It's complicated but if you take the time it is easy to figure it out. Look on the contoller and get the model # and Google it and you can get the manual. Also you can clip the wires so the slides will work with the ignition on.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all of you. I played with the slide a bit and got them to work once and then quit again. I have tracked it enough that I am quite sure it is in the controller you talk Perry. I will see if I can find anything about adjusting that controller. Everything I have read indicates setting these is very sensitive and one must be careful to avoid damage to the coach.

Chickadee, the coach has been sitting on a concrete floor inside my shop building for the past couple of weeks with the jacks down. So, I don't think that is the cause but it is possible that there has been some settling on one of the jacks. I will check that first.

I called Newmar twice. One tech person told me to adjust the screw contact for the magnetic switches in the lockout box but 1) I couldn't get to the screw to adjust it with the locks in stored position and 2) because both ends weren't closing, I didn't really believe that was the issue. The second tech told me that it was probably the controller and I needed to take it to a service person. That creates some issues because 1) there are no local dealers or service ports and 2) after reading comments from others I suspect they are not going to do any better at finding the intermittent problem that I would do (not being egotistical but a lot of experience has taught me that I can often experiment with just as much success as a service person that is not trained for the specific brand and problem).

I see Newmar will not sell one of the controller test units to private parties. If anyone knows how to get one of those at a reasonable price, let me know.

Last but not least, Dave, I appreciate your comments. I wasn't sure if there would be any real problems is the coach was driven without the locks. Obviously, you answered that question. I prefer to have them working but will not be overly afraid to proceed without them, in necessary.

Again, Thanks for all the responses. I am reading everything I can find on the issue.
ColoEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your concerned of slide movement while traveling you can wedge a 2x4 between wall a fascia at floor level to stop movement of slide in a sudden turn situation.
Generally the slide rail on cog wheel tits will hold slide in place if moving in camp ground.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote