Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #1

Some Newmar rigs and competitors come standard with automatic traction control. What benefit, if any, does that provide?

I've never spun the rear wheels on any coach, regardless of the terrain. I do, however never operate my MH in icy conditions, as I imagine most do not. I don't off road, not surprising, as I'm sure most don't either.

So why to they have automatic traction control on a motorhome chassis? Beats me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #2

Some Newmar rigs and competitors come standard with automatic traction control. What benefit, if any, does that provide?

I've never spun the rear wheels on any coach, regardless of the terrain. I do, however never operate my MH in icy conditions, as I imagine most do not. I don't off road, not surprising, as I'm sure most don't either.

So why to they have automatic traction control on a motorhome chassis? Beats me.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Peter, I would guess the answer has something to do with weight distribution and it's properties as related to the tag...If the coach were in an uneven or unlevel position and the weight on one side's drive axle was reduced,the possibility would exist whereby the tire might slip or spin.
In the case of ATC,as I understand it,this is reduced with the activation of the ATC.

Slippery surfaces can even affect 40K pound motor homes in some fashion...awful hard to believe but true!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #4

I think you hit the answer, Bob. Only thing they are putting it on single rear axles also. The only thing I see is perhaps the chassis manufacturer puts them on a particular chassis, say the Spartan MM GT. This is the same chassis that also comes in a tag.
Makes sense.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It sure wouldn't hurt. I left Green Bay, WI once when the rain was just starting to turn to sleet. On a circular on-ramp I was doing about 35 MPH when I squeezed the throttle too hard, the turbo spooled up, and the back end broke loose. That'll definitely get your heart beating. Fortunately it snapped right back in line again when I backed off. I was kind of expecting it to get away from me but I was impressed with the ability of a 40' DP to "dirt track" and be controllable. Traction control would be a definite plus for those few times you'd need it. Pretty much like anti-lock brakes. I've rarely used that feature in any vehicle but someday it might make the difference between a trip to the body shop or just having to change your shorts.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

On a circular on-ramp I was doing about 35 MPH when I squeezed the throttle too hard, the turbo spooled up, and the back end broke loose. That'll definitely get your heart beating.

Wow...either beating fast or stopped all together!!

But someday it might make the difference between a trip to the body shop or just having to change your shorts.

Just the reason I always carry lots of underwear too!!!
Wouldn't EVEN want to try sliding sideways in one of these things....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #7

On the Newmar I notice there is also an ATC over ride, I guess to cancel it engaging. I can't sight when it would be needed, but that would further remove me from knowing why I would over ride it. It seems to be there as an automatic feature and to have an operator disconnect control, it must be more important than currently comes to mind.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:33 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Wow Mark, that's good to know . I would have thought with the 2 tons of engine hanging on the bumper, it would have been like a giant pendulum . I guess with 1100 plus ft lbs of torque it can happen.

Imagine....a 40 footer drifting on the freeway. With ATC Mark you would have never had that thrill
Old 05-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #9

Well with 1100 ft. lbs. of torque that engine probably just weighs about 1 ton. Consider an ISM 500 at 1550 only weighs 2500 lbs.
The trnny could add 500 however.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #10

Well I have some information regarding the ATC. The Spatan K-2 for '06 did not have ATC whereas it is standard on the '07.

It measures the speed of the drive wheels and upon reconizing that one set is running faster than the other set, it applies braking power to the faster wheel. It will continue to modify the wheel speed of the faster side until both are rotating the same.
This can be most helpful on a tag equipped unit starting to move in soft ground and or wet grass. It would usually have a maximum speed that it would operate up to, say 15 MPH, after which it would not engage.

So, I guess it might work well in those poor traction campground areas.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:09 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">......Wouldn't EVEN want to try sliding sideways in one of these things.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One nice thing about your Essex is that it's impossible to do a 4 wheel drift with it.

It would have to be a 6 wheel drift.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:32 AM   #12

Actually that would be an eight wheel drift.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

So, if the tires bite during a hard cornering maneuver and the car lifts it's inside wheels off the pavement you'd normally refer to that as "taking the corner on two wheels".

However, if you were to do that in an Essex with a tag axle you'd still have 4 wheels on the ground. Therefore it sounds to me like it's entirely safe to do in a coach with a tag axle because you'd still have 4 on the ground. We'll have to try that someday.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Isn't REBEL getting a Essex, thats a good test.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote