Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #1

Automatic Transfer Switch popping every 15 sec

All,
Would appreciate your thoughts on whether this is a problem or not. If not, it is beyond annoying. I have my Ventana LE plugged into Shore power at home and have it set for a max of 15A. Please see the video I shot for 20 seconds. It is constantly doing this and I tried turning off the battery switch in the coach, tried plugging to a different outlet and nothing seems to make it go away. This is not the first time it has done this but don't know how or why it stopped before or what caused it.
Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You mention you, "have it set for a max of 15A" WHAT is set for 15A? The solenoid is engaging, then disengaging. It could be because whatever you set to 15A is exceeding 15A. Turn off the circuit breaker that controls your inverter/charger, and see if it still disengages. If your batteries are low, the inverter/charger could be pulling more than 15A to try to charge them.

Check other electrical use besides the inverter/charger, a refrigerator, water heater, etc. could easily exceed 15A.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi canipeb,
Whatever you have set for 15 AMPS revert back to 30 AMPS or 50 AMPS. If the coach draws too much power the house breaker will pop. Then you know what the problem is. Must turn off everything. However that defeats the purpose of keeping the batteries charged. Consider providing the coach a dedicated 50 AMP circuit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You mention you, "have it set for a max of 15A" WHAT is set for 15A? The solenoid is engaging, then disengaging. It could be because whatever you set to 15A is exceeding 15A. Turn off the circuit breaker that controls your inverter/charger, and see if it still disengages. If your batteries are low, the inverter/charger could be pulling more than 15A to try to charge them.

Check other electrical use besides the inverter/charger, a refrigerator, water heater, etc. could easily exceed 15A.
Sorry, I have the Magnum Energy controller set at Shore Max 15A. I changed it to 20A and it is still doing the same thing. See picture.

My RV does have a full-size refrigerator. I'm plugged into my garage which is a normal three prong household plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4535.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	175397  
Old 09-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
hi -By chance is the circuit you are plugged into on a GFI circuit? That could cause this issue. Also check that all the lugs are properly torqued. Otherwise I'd guess that the transfer switch needs replacement.

Tom
Old 09-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does it do it on generator? What is the voltage under load at the power outlet the coach us plugged into?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The cord you are using is to long or to light or both. Same thing happened to me. Went to Home Depot and bought a heavy cord and all was well.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canipeb View Post
Sorry, I have the Magnum Energy controller set at Shore Max 15A. I changed it to 20A and it is still doing the same thing. See picture.

My RV does have a full-size refrigerator. I'm plugged into my garage which is a normal three prong household plug.
Your 40100 Transfer Switch has a low limit of 90 VAC. Have you measured the input voltage when the relay drops out? If I was guessing I would say the voltage is momentarily dropping below 90vac, dropping the relay, voltage is going back up because load is disconnected, and re-picking the relay. Are you using an extension cord?
Old 09-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #9

I'm guessing I may have an extension cord issue as two of you have suggested. It does not do it except when plugged in to my house with an extension cord. I will go and get a heavier duty cord and see if that makes a difference. If you haven't figured out, I know nothing about electrical.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #10

>"I will go and get a heavier duty cord..

Pay attention to the wire gauge on the cord.
Lower number = bigger wire = more current capacity.
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by canipeb View Post
I'm guessing I may have an extension cord issue as two of you have suggested. It does not do it except when plugged in to my house with an extension cord. I will go and get a heavier duty cord and see if that makes a difference. If you haven't figured out, I know nothing about electrical.

Make it only as long as necessary !! Don't buy 100' if you only need 25'. The longer the cord, the more the voltage loss.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
hi -By chance is the circuit you are plugged into on a GFI circuit? That could cause this issue. Also check that all the lugs are properly torqued. Otherwise I'd guess that the transfer switch needs replacement.

Tom
If you listened to the video, it's the ATS that's cycling on/off. A GCFI wouldn't cause that to cycle, it would either connect or trip, preventing power to go to the RV and ATS.

To the OP: If the new cord solves the cycling, I suggest you turn off the refrigerator for a few hours until the batteries get charged to a level that won't draw so many amps. The fridge should be fine if you turn it off for 3-4 hours, as long as you don't repeatedly open it for beer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you listened to the video, it's the ATS that's cycling on/off. A GCFI wouldn't cause that to cycle, it would either connect or trip, preventing power to go to the RV and ATS.

To the OP: If the new cord solves the cycling, I suggest you turn off the refrigerator for a few hours until the batteries get charged to a level that won't draw so many amps. The fridge should be fine if you turn it off for 3-4 hours, as long as you don't repeatedly open it for beer.
Well the extension cord did not fix the issue. Went to a 12 gauge 25' cord from a 14 gauge. Will try your suggestion of turning off the fridge for a while.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflinn181 View Post
if you listened to the video, it's the ats that's cycling on/off. A gcfi wouldn't cause that to cycle, it would either connect or trip, preventing power to go to the rv and ats.

To the op: If the new cord solves the cycling, i suggest you turn off the refrigerator for a few hours until the batteries get charged to a level that won't draw so many amps. The fridge should be fine if you turn it off for 3-4 hours, as long as you don't repeatedly open it for beer.

Not happening ...

Tags
switch, transfer switch