Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #1

Aux heat override

My furnace comes on when I am in the heat pump mode and the “aux heat” sign pops up. Does anyone have any ideas about where the sensor that controls this is? I am thinking that it needs to be adjusted or replaced. The outside air temperature is 55 degrees. 2004 Dutch Star 3812. Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
There's a temperature sensor in the heat pump itself. If it is not working right the heat pump will always think it's freezing and run the aux heat, which in your case is the furnace.

Do you have the Dometic Penguin heat pumps? If so have they been replaced recently or are they original? If you can get the model number we can help you find a service manual for it. Also, it might help if we know if you have 4 button, 5 button or the new CCC2 thermostat.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #3

Thanks

We have the original 2004 Dometic Penguin unit model # 630515. The Duo-Therm Comfort Control is the five button model. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar Tom View Post
We have the original 2004 Dometic Penguin unit model # 630515. The Duo-Therm Comfort Control is the five button model. Thanks for your help!

It's called an Ambient Sensor and is in unit 1 (front). It's attached to the control board with a plug and the sensing end is fastened to the frame of the A/C unit ... usually passenger side near the metal cover over the capacitors.
Dometic A/C 48" Ambient Sensor Cord - Air Conditioner Repair Parts - Air Conditioners - RV Appliances
Old 01-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #5

Access

Can that be accessed from inside the coach or does it require a trip up unto the roof? Thank You bruceisla!
Old 01-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Can that be accessed from inside the coach or does it require a trip up unto the roof? Thank You bruceisla!

Rooftop .... remove the shroud. Here's a pic of a Dometic Brisk II .... different from yours but the locations are the same. The red circle in lower right is the Ambient Sensor. It looks like a wire with a circular connector covered by shrinktubing. The actual sensor is inside the shrinktubing .... the circular connector is actually just a metal ring to allow mounting it near an area with outside air circulation.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #7

Thank you!

I so appreciate your help. I never would have found that on my own!
When the weather clears here in California I will get up there and fix it! Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
To add to what Bruce said (I was taking pictures when he posted):

To take the top off of the Penguin, it's 4 screws, two in the front and one on each side toward the rear. After that you'll be able to get to the control board (which is behind a metal cover on the passenger side) and the ambient temp sensor.

Here's a pic of the area, I've already taken the top off the control box, that's where all the wires are:
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190105_181921.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	231104
Here's a pic of the sensor, it's the black wire going to the yellow ring terminal on the left of the control box:
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190105_181707.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	231105
It has a red 2 pin connector on the board side.

Here is the service manual, the ambient sensor is described on p33 (p35 of the pdf). The last page of this installation manual shows the ambient sensor connected to P3 on the board, that is the red 2 pin connector. When you remove the sensor you can use a DMM to determine if the resistance is good using the chart on p33 of the service manual. It would be a good idea to determine this first as the issue could also be with the control board. BTW, you can "fake" a temperature by connecting a resistor close to a value that is on the chart to the two terminals on the board just to see if it fixes the issue.

Regarding replacement parts, PM me if you need them and want some used ones, I have two 630515's in the basement and can get the parts off them and send them to you, no charge. The controls on both worked when I removed them, the compressor failed on one and one of the capillary tubes sprung a leak on the second. It wasn't worth fixing them but I never threw them away. I am on the east coast so it will take about a week to get there.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:47 AM   #9

Quote:
I so appreciate your help. I never would have found that on my own!
When the weather clears here in California I will get up there and fix it! Thanks again!

You are very welcome!

Bruce
Old 01-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #10

Thanks Luv2go!

Very much appreciate your photos and help! When the rain stops l will try to jump it. Thanks for your kind offer of parts!
Newmar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat