RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
They are here, you bet they are.
Well they are walking softly. I have pointed out some very significant shortcomings along the way without one attempt by Newmar to reach out and help. If they are reading this stuff they are not passing it on or they don't care. Neither result is very comforting.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 05:54 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any NA owners going to the Hoots Rally in Texas this fall Newmar will be there during meetings?

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievette View Post
...we have to be aggressive in voicing our displeasure when ignored.
Nice doesnít seem to work.
Amen to that. It seems that decades of people 'just dealing with it' has given the industry the impression that they can get away with neglect and laziness.
RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySpanish View Post
Amen to that. It seems that decades of people 'just dealing with it' has given the industry the impression that they can get away with neglect and laziness.
Exactly.
charlievette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySpanish View Post

+1. And Iím going to do my part and make sure Newmar knows Iím not going to just deal with it. We have an army here. We CAN change things.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievette View Post
No offense taken. The leader heading was to get people to read the post.

Hyperbole headings may also chase people away from this forum including the Newmar folks who Iíd really like to be following this.
Lilfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfoot View Post
Hyperbole headings may also chase people away from this forum including the Newmar folks who Iíd really like to be following this.
Nice hasnít worked. Newmar reps have reached out to me after the first post that since has been removed. Time will tell if any progress will be made, but they are not ignoring the forum.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:53 PM   #36
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe you all can give some simple answers to these questions I asked on another thread.

No answers as yet, here is my answer to poor owners guides.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Your comment makes me curious - What problem did your Tiffin have that was so bad you refused to drive it, even after repairs?

I looked for some of your previous posts but could not find anything on this. It sure sounds serious.

Curious minds want to know ....
That was due to a long long list of problems with two previous tows (ruining those trips) and an absolute nightmare experiences with the coach. To make a long and heartbreaking story short lets just say that it spent more time in the shop than camping, many hours and hundred of miles being towed, and would have made a better boat anchor than a motorhome. It's gut wrenching (and extremely dangerous) when you're on the side of the highway trying to make a motorhome run with cars and 18 wheelers flying by at 80 mph. All your plans go up in smoke after making reservations along the route where you will be on the road for several weeks. We experienced this three times. It's way to long a story but lets just suffice it to say that it wouldn't run and was a Freightliner and Cummins nightmare. And, the story of leaving it on the side of the road is not an exaggeration. Mr. Tiffin did everything he could. I asked him to cancel all the orders of the incoming chassis to get their attention, but of course that didn't fly. But, time heals a lot of wounds. Eight years later I now have a friend in Bob Tiffin (they don't get any better than that man) and I now drive another Freightliner product. But, first time it has to be towed it's history. I'm about to head out on a 2,000 mile trip and don't feel good about the coach due to a strange noise that comes from the engine area. I can't hear it since I'm am driving it when it occurs (parking, etc). Freightliner and my dealer have looked at it but it's one of those intermittent things and of course doesn't happen at the right time. Only time will tell now. Sorry for the long winded response.
R. D. Vanderslice
2018 New Aire 3341
rdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Newmar manuals are not very good, and the problem is not limited to the New Aire.
How feasible/valuable would it be for us to give our collective experience and knowledge of all the systems of the New Aire to one individual who could collect, document, edit, format, and electronically publish a single-source "living" manual that can be updated as new information is shared? It could be made available electronically to all NA owners who can make their own contributions, corrections, etc. The manual could be searchable, downloadable, and flexible to accommodate all NA year models. Perhaps Newmar would take note and possibly contribute? It would be a massive, ongoing undertaking, but there seems to be enough scattered information available that the project could start small by culling this information and grow quickly.

Comments welcome...

Scott
scott@rovingdesign.com
RovingDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #39

Great idea. Finding somebody capable to do all that you suggest may be a problem...but great idea. Newmar does read the forum and they have made improvements. The earliest serial numbers and the most recent donít have a chance to compare notes and changes. Every NA owner would benefit.
We are a different group...completely new design and engineering.
Every other coach Newmar builds is an iteration of previous years.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #40

Sticky threads...

So, I am new to IRV.com. But, I am well versed in the automotive industry (and motor-sports industry) and I perform 90% of all work required with every vehicle I have ever owned.

The greatest resource I find to understand and perform work which I have not experienced in past, is the internet. There are internet forms for almost all make and model vehicle on the market. An example, Tacomaworld.com. There is a "Sticky" thread for every generation Tacoma and forum members spend a considerable amount of time documenting issues and resolutions in the sticky forums. They even post mods they have done which others may find valuable to their use of the vehicle. This hold true for Fords, Chevy's, Dodges, Acura etc..... The RV industry on the other hand tends to fall short with these types of tech forums.

If you all really wish to aid one another with issues, start documenting in the forums. I know there are a few persons doing so now, but everyone needs to chip in. The fact is, and as others have said, the RV industry has always been negligent in providing proper documentation. And, it is unlikely going to change. At the moment, the RV manufactures can not build RVs fast enough, so its not an issue to them at this time. Plus, the vast majority of RV owners, especially in this price range, will typically pay someone to remedy problems, not that I am suggesting we all do and/or would.

So, with all that, the best way to improve this problem is to aid one another through posting of any and all discoveries you have made in not only the repairs of, but in the operation of, all items associated with your RV. Start a "Sticky" thread ....!!! RV owners probably have greater free time to contribute to the "Stickies" than most Non-RV owners.

Just my 2-cents.....
gtpowell78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpowell78 View Post

So, with all that, the best way to improve this problem is to aid one another through posting of any and all discoveries you have made in not only the repairs of, but in the operation of, all items associated with your RV. Start a "Sticky" thread ....!!! RV owners probably have greater free time to contribute to the "Stickies" than most Non-RV owners.

Just my 2-cents.....
This has been discussed extensively here on this forum. Current design of this board is funneling decades of Newmar products through the same forum. Threads index off the top page in less than a day. There is no way for the owner of a single model coach to keep up with the posts and find the posts of meaning for his coach without watching this board hourly.

I have 1,423 posts on this forum in just one year documenting my NA since purchase. My thread New Aire Observations has the third highest page views (133,000) in the history of this forum. I wrote some pretty good posts in that thread but now I struggle to find my own posts when the same subject comes up again.

So all of these ideas to do better documentation are great. It would take a lot of work to put together and would need a totally different structure collate and reference the knowledge.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #42

Yes Turbo, I have read many of your post and they are excellent. Your tech posts are exactly the type of post needed in stickies.

It will take the moderator/s to get involved, creating a formal sticky section which remains at the at the top of each major form section/manufactures section. This will insure stickies remain at the top, easy to locate. Not only can forum member personal knowledge provide contribution, but manufactures TSBs and NTSB recalls can be documented in the stickies.

This is not a sure cure, but will definitely get things moving in the proper direction.....

If the moderators have not done so, I suggest they visit this for an example.

gtpowell78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air