RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome tire/alignment service in Rapid City, SD

I noticed the edges on the steer tires were wearing so I decided to have the alignment checked as we passed through Rapid City on the way to the Grand Tetons.

Rapid Tire & Alignment got me in quickly and did a great job on the alignment at less then $200.

I then went over to Dales Tire & Retreading to swap the steer tires with the tag tires. The owner was on-sight and made certain everything was handled well - with a reasonable price of $125 to swap and spin balance four tires. This is a family owned business.

I recommend both of these businesses should you need great tire and alignment services in Rapid City.

Jon Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #2

Thanks Jon. Just a quick question though....why didn't the first tire shop do the tire rotate and balance for you?

Old 08-08-2018, 05:04 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Did they align all 3 axles? If so that is a good price. I had mine done at Spartan when I was at the academy last week. They spent most of the day and it was over $ 500. All 3 axles were off (thanks Newmar).
Old 08-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCPilot View Post
Thanks Jon. Just a quick question though....why didn't the first tire shop do the tire rotate and balance for you?
Hello - Rapid Tire is unable to mount MH tires - Dales Tires does not do alignments - but sells and mounts tires for all kinds of big rigs.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Did they align all 3 axles? If so that is a good price. I had mine done at Spartan when I was at the academy last week. They spent most of the day and it was over $ 500. All 3 axles were off (thanks Newmar).
He could have competed the rear axles as well - but we didn't see any apparent problems with the tire wear on the rear axles. We needed to get going - so I'll have the rear axles checked back at home base.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #6

I agree that under $200 for just the front axle is a fair price. It is far less common for the rear two to be out of align.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jon....Have fun in the Tetons......we were there last month and did Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier.

If you have time, there is a great road to explore near the Tetons. The Tetons are just off the west side of HWY 189. Just on the east side is a road called Gros Ventre, it's pretty close to the south entrance of the Tetons. Take that road east. It follows the Gros Ventre river. You'll see some turnouts on the right side (south), including one large one with logs on the ground defining the space. If you pull in there and look out over the river, you're almost guaranteed to see moose feeding. In four visits over the years, we've seen moose every time.

Continue on the road until you can make the first left. That is Antelope Flats. Follow it around and it will take you back to Hwy 189. On the way back toward 189, you'll see some old barns on a road called Mormon Row. One of the old barns is used in famous photos with the Tetons in the background. Twice we've seen people taking their wedding photos there.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Barnes View Post

I recommend both of these businesses should you need great tire and alignment services in Rapid City.
Hey Jon - your post made me smile.

I lived there for 4 years while in the Air Force. I loved it! It’s an awesome town with great people. I’d still live there, but the winters are just too harsh.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Jon....Have fun in the Tetons......we were there last month and did Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier.

If you have time, there is a great road to explore near the Tetons. The Tetons are just off the west side of HWY 189. Just on the east side is a road called Gros Ventre, it's pretty close to the south entrance of the Tetons. Take that road east. It follows the Gros Ventre river. You'll see some turnouts on the right side (south), including one large one with logs on the ground defining the space. If you pull in there and look out over the river, you're almost guaranteed to see moose feeding. In four visits over the years, we've seen moose every time.

Continue on the road until you can make the first left. That is Antelope Flats. Follow it around and it will take you back to Hwy 189. On the way back toward 189, you'll see some old barns on a road called Mormon Row. One of the old barns is used in famous photos with the Tetons in the background. Twice we've seen people taking their wedding photos there.

Hi Don - appreciate the suggestions. We've been to the Tetons several times over the years - but I'm not certain we've been on the roads you suggested. We'll check these sites out. We'll be there for 2 weeks - so we'll have lots of time. We'll be staying at Coulter Bay - Good to hear from you - good luck with your new DS!
Old 08-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
Hey Jon - your post made me smile.

I lived there for 4 years while in the Air Force. I loved it! Its an awesome town with great people. Id still live there, but the winters are just too harsh.
One local told me the Rapid City area is like the Florida of SD because the winter weather is so much better there compared to the rest of the state! I agree - it's a great part of the country....
Old 08-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jon.....If your there for two weeks, there are a couple of other things to do that are fun. There is a river raft trip that has a variety of float trips and another place that has a dinner show at a cattle ranch. See the link....you'll need to make reservations. It's western music combined with a comedy show and a steak dinner.

Bar J Chuckwagon
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Jon.....If your there for two weeks, there are a couple of other things to do that are fun. There is a river raft trip that has a variety of float trips and another place that has a dinner show at a cattle ranch. See the link....you'll need to make reservations. It's western music combined with a comedy show and a steak dinner.

Bar J Chuckwagon
Added to the list Don - thanks!

Tags
service