Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Awning support bolts pulled out

We broke camp today and I just happened to notice that the two 3/8" screws that hold the bottom of one of the awning support end arms had both stripped out. They look to be just coarse threaded screws and I am guessing they are just screwed into one of the aluminum studs (otherwise they would be a machine bolt). has anyone had this happen to them and how did you fix it? I was thinking of just going up to a 7/16' X 1 1/2" replacement but wanted to see if there was something else I should be considering.

Thanks
koresample is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
so...like a moron I posted this then did a google search and see multiple questions and answers so my problem is not uncommon. I did not take one of the lag bolts with me and the coach is about an hour away in storage. Does anyone happen to know the length (we have a 99 4080DP) of the lag bolts and if they screw into the floor or just a wall stud?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
So the next lag bolt up is a 1/2" (3/8" is what is on there now) which does not appear to be a practical solution. Has anyone simply put a longer lag bolt in with some gorilla glue or?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is it possible to move the lag bolt and maybe drill a new hole? I am just typing thoughts, I am sure some of the experts here on IRV2 are thinking about their suggestions.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
Is it possible to move the lag bolt and maybe drill a new hole? I am just typing thoughts, I am sure some of the experts here on IRV2 are thinking about their suggestions.

Mike

unfortunately not
Old 08-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The location of the mounting bracket for awning is at the floor level where you have the 2x3 wood stud to support your floor inside. The 4th picture down from flat Matt pic you will see stud at floor level.
Either they missed the stud or hit in between the floor and stud or just over turned the bolt and stripped the wood out of hole bolt is in.
I would just try a larger thread bolt or use something like large tooth picks and glued in existing holes to fill them and just use your same bolts to tighten the bracket.
May want to use some sealant so water does not penetrate the holes.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I am not a Newmar owner but here is what I would do.

I would fill up the holes with as much JB Weld Epoxy as you can possibly stuff into the opening and then let it harden over night.

Then using a small drill, make a new small pilot hole for the correct position of the lag bolt. Then using the proper undersized drill for your lag bolt, drill the final hole and use new lag bolts that won't rust.

Do not over-tighten!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I would fill up the holes with as much JB Weld Epoxy as you can possibly stuff into the opening and then let it harden over night.
X2 Me 2
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
So, I checked to make sure the bolt went in to the space between the floor joists (or whatever passes for floor joists here), purchased 2 X 3" X 3/8" stainless lag bolts. Drilled out the new holes and coated the new bolts in Gorilla Glue (and squirted some in the holes) and screwed them back in. You can still tell after they went in that they don't bite properly but after the glue cured the bracket seems solid and held up well after a couple of windy nights. When the back ones pull out (and I am sure they will as they look rusty) I will do the same unless these don't hold. In that case I will use JB Weld or Cold Steel to re-attach.

Tags
awning