Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #1

Awning will not open

I have a 2012 Bay Star with a Dometic WeatherPro power awning. We used it last weekend for the first time since last spring, and everything worked well except the awning, which would not open. I have tried both the rocker switch in the coach and the remote. The LEDs on the control box down in the basement are on, so the unit is getting the proper amount of power, and when I use the remote while listening to the control box I can hear a click when I depress the open or close buttons. I can also hear a click when standing on a ladder next to the right side of the awning near the roof as I hit the remote buttons. That is where the motor is located. Nothing seems to be obstructing the awning, so I'm stumped. Any ideas what else I can check?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
tvp

I think depending on the outside temperature the awning will not open ie: too cold outside
Old 11-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
I think depending on the outside temperature the awning will not open ie: too cold outside
That's true, but it is 58 outside today and it won't open. Also, I've tried it with and without the wind sensor on, and it does not open.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #4

I have the same awning. My control box in the basement has open/close buttons on the underside. If yours does, have you tried those?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #5

Just went out and looked, and mine does not have any buttons on the underside of the control box, so I can't give that a try. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Is the coach plugged in? Your batteries my be low and causing the unit not to operate. Try pushing the battery merge switch and operate the awning remote at the same time.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Is the coach plugged in? Your batteries my be low and causing the unit not to operate. Try pushing the battery merge switch and operate the awning remote at the same time.
Just curious, what is the battery merge switch, the battery boost start switch? Thanks
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:23 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The battery merge switch can be called the boost switch. Technically, it merges (connects) the two battery banks together when one is low, giving you extra battery power when needed.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #9

The awning does not work when plugged into shore power or just on battery. The battery voltage measures 12.6, so I doubt using the merge switch will help, but I'll give it a try. If it works, I'll post the result.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmholt View Post
The awning does not work when plugged into shore power or just on battery. The battery voltage measures 12.6, so I doubt using the merge switch will help, but I'll give it a try. If it works, I'll post the result.

If you can hear the motor, it may be jammed with debris. -Paul
Old 11-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would say do a Newmar search for your problem and you will get these many results, if you have not heard the motor running when pushing your buttons you may have a loose wire connection up near the motor location.
Newmar search is in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning