Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Back up camera and rear clearance lights

When we left the hoots rally our backup camera stopped working
I verified it had power
tried to pair it (it's wireless )
Still nothing so when we got home I got out the ladder and found the unit hot to the touch so I removed it and I found that when the dealer installed it instead of hooking it to the running lights they hooked it to the closet light in the bedroom so it has had power hooked to it and Been running for the last year and a half and burnt itself out . I ordered a new one that will be her in a few days . Today I had some free time so I took off one of the lenses above the camera hole to install a new connection to power the camera only when the running light are on and this is what I found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412455875.302739.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	900.2 KB
ID:	75713

Red lens cover

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412455909.489109.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1,001.4 KB
ID:	75714

Under red lens cover
It looks like someone broke out the old lens installed new led lights under the covers
And caulked the new lens covers over the old holes
If you look close you can see some old cracked Amber lens materials around the light
I am afraid to remove them as they seem to be caulked in !
I re caulked the lens back on . And think I will look for another way to power the camera tomorrow .

Has anyone seen this before ?

05 MADP 4301
2014 Ford FX4 Crew
Blue Ox tow bar
Air Force One
Billy & Jeannie & Clyde The Poodle
Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 04:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The backup camera I would power off its own fuse or same fuse as monitor up front.
Is there a prewired wire leads for old camera at the location?
That wire should get you to front near the old monitor location and for fusing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:50 AM   #3

Yes I replaced all of my rear high 5 lights and they looked just like yours the center breaks out as they get very britle and they use that putty tape from factory to install I ordered the replacements from Newmar they were like 11.00 ea and they are led I tried hard to match th up with aftermarket but no luck the factory is your best bet

I would think you would not want to power the camera of the clearance lights then you would always have to have your lights on to use the camera
And not sure how it works but my camera changes brightness depending if lights are on or off

Tags
camera, lights