Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
"Sear 2016-067 check valve replacement in auxiliary air tank for tag"
Hello Keith - Freightliner FACTORY RV Service Center in Gaffney, SC worked on my coach about two weeks ago, and when I mentioned what you mention, they immediately stated there was a new valve needed to correct the problem - the "Sear 2016-067 check valve" for the aux air tank that supplies air to the tag. You might want to call your contact back and ask them to check into it.

Also the tag, three position, rocker switch you mention is poorly labeled and it also made me think it needed to be in the middle position, however, Gaffney said and demonstrated to me that the forward third of that switch must be depressed to be in the auto mode, not the center / middle position. If you listen, you will only hear air automatically discharge from the tag when the forward third of the switch is depressed. Good Luck - Conflicting info is so difficult to deal with!
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Hello Keith - Freightliner FACTORY RV Service Center in Gaffney, SC worked on my coach about two weeks ago, and when I mentioned what you mention, they immediately stated there was a new valve needed to correct the problem - the "Sear 2016-067 check valve" for the aux air tank that supplies air to the tag. You might want to call your contact back and ask them to check into it.

Also the tag, three position, rocker switch you mention is poorly labeled and it also made me think it needed to be in the middle position, however, Gaffney said and demonstrated to me that the forward third of that switch must be depressed to be in the auto mode, not the center / middle position. If you listen, you will only hear air automatically discharge from the tag when the forward third of the switch is depressed. Good Luck - Conflicting info is so difficult to deal with!
Forward is auto. Middle is off. Back is manual.
ChassisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #17

ChassisGuy-Thanks for the very helpful info. Based on your information I contacted Freightliner Custom Chassis to check the status on my 2016 Dutch Star. Here is what I was told.

ALL OWNERS OF RVS WITH A CHASSIS MANUFACTURED BY FREIGHTLINER BEFORE JUNE 15, 2015 THAT HAVE A PASSIVE STEERING TAG AXLE NEED TO HAVE AN AIR CHECK VALVE ADDED TO THE SYSTEM THAT LOCKS THE PASSIVE STEERING MECHANISM WHEN IT IS REQUIRED. Newer rigs will have the check valve already installed. Without this check valve the passive steering may not lock when it is supposed to. If you take your vehicle in for servicing THE DEALER WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY KNOW THAT THIS FIX IS REQUIRED since the fix is not a recall but only a "Service Solution". Owners should notify the dealer that Service Solution #1023429 is required when making the appointment. The dealer must order and receive 2 parts before you arrive for the installation so they can look it up. I talked directly to the person who wrote up the service solution. I was also told that EVEN WITH THE ADDED CHECK VALVE INSTALLED YOU STILL NEED TO STRAIGHTEN THE VEHICLE OUT WHILE GOING FORWARD BEFORE BACKING UP. This allows the passive steer axle to straighten out so it can lock into the correct position. If it does not lock in the straight position the wheels could turn sideways, jam and drag as you backup.

I also verified that the illustration and description of operation of the tag axle air dump switch that is shown in the Freightliner manual (Driver Controls Section 3) IS INCORRECT. If fact the person who I first talked to, again gave me the wrong instructions for the switch positions because he was looking at the manual. ChassisGuy is absolutely correct about the tag dump switch positions. The AUTO position is with the front (facing the front of the vehicle) of the rocker switch in the down position. The switch is in DISABLE position when the rocker switch is in the middle (or level) position. The switch is in MANUAL when the back (facing rear of RV) is momentarily pushed down (this side of switch is spring loaded and has momentary positioning only).

These positions deserve some definition. AUTO dump automatically dumps the air to unload the chassis weight from the tag axle whenever the vehicle is in reverse or if travelling forward at less than 8 mph. I was told that you cannot really go wrong if you just leave it in this position all the time. The DISABLE dump position leaves the tag axle loaded with the weight of the chassis at all times and never dumps the air from the tag axle air bag supporting the weight. Momentarily pushing down the MANUAL end of the switch makes the system dump the air and unload the tag axle if the RV is currently in reverse or below 8 mph when going forward including when stopped. I was told that when the vehicle forward speed increases above 8 mph again the tag axle air bags will automatically inflate again and operate as if the vehicle where in AUTO. So basically a momentary push of the MANUAL end of the switch is just that-a momentary air dump.

One thing that confuses folks is the description used by many that dumping the tag axle air "lifts" the tag axle. It does not lift the tag axle at all but instead just inflates or deflates the tag axle air bag to take the chassis weight on or off of the tag axle.

Also it should be realized that the passive steering control of the tag axle operates completely independent of the tag axle air loading (tag dump). The passive steering locks (does not steer) and unlocks (does steer) automatically under different conditions from the tag dump. There is no driver control over these functions. The passive steering automatically locks whenever the vehicle is in reverse or when the forward vehicle speed rises above 20 mph. When slowing down, the passive steering automatically unlocks when the speed drops below 15 mph.

Hope this info helps and is not too confusing.

RetireeKeith
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering