Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #1

Backing Up With Passive Steering

Has anyone with passive steering experienced any trouble with the tag wheels going hard over in the opposite direction of the backing? I witnessed this occurring while watching a salesman backing a rig out of the lot for someone to test drive. He said "oh, that's normal". I personally don't think he was correct. I did a little research and found that the tags should "lock" in the straight position when the coach is put into reverse.

Are there any owners who have first hand knowledge of this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Quinton

Still looking and dreaming!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #2

Thats the response you would say, When You Forget To Raise The Tag!
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #3

I've only backed up my Spartan K2 a few times, but I was watching (and listening) carefully every time. Its clear that the air is let out of the bags as soon as I hit 'R' and furthermore as soon as I move an inch, the tag re-centers. I wonder if what you observed might happen if one doesn't select auto dump for the tag (i.e. manual dump) and weight remains on the tag axle...
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #4

DrPhil, that could be exactly what happened. I was near the rear of the coach and not involved with the event just a bystander. It surely had the tags hard over again the stops and scrubbing them along the pavement. Sure hope there was a substantial hard stop for the tags to land against as they were definitely under stress.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #5

While I'm not 100% sure (it's not my system), I believe the tag gets dumped so there is no chassis weight on it while backing up. I also believe the tag is not actively lifted so it still has its own weight on the tires. I do not know if there is an active lock to hold the tag on center, but if he happened to be turning slightly before backing up, the tag would not be on center and the lock could not engage. Then when he started backing up, it would go hard over, just like you saw. In this example, he would be right in that "That's normal." With no real weight on the tires, the sliding would not damage them.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wqmiller View Post
Has anyone with passive steering experienced any trouble with the tag wheels going hard over in the opposite direction of the backing?

This is a typical characteristic of the Passive Steer Tag axle. I have a 17LADP with freightliner passive steer. About ten days ago at Holland RV, The dealer service people were moving my coach out of service bay and the tags jammed and locked and were dragged for a good 50 yds, leaving black skid marks on their pavement. The service people were shocked too. This is "ONE" of the typical characteristics of the passive steer tags. When you observe this characteristic, you question the viability of the passive steer system.

There is also another account of this problem with a spartan chassis in this thread (pg 5)

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/tag-steer-321170-5.html
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #7

Not sure how relevant this may be, but when I went through my PDI, they were adament about pulling forward in a straight line for a couple of feet before shifting to reverse. They told me that was all I needed for the tag to straighten out and the pins to lock in.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Not sure how relevant this may be, but when I went through my PDI, they were adament about pulling forward in a straight line for a couple of feet before shifting to reverse. They told me that was all I needed for the tag to straighten out and the pins to lock in.

+1
I always do this (pulling 2-3 ft straight before backing) and have never had an issue with our passive tag even when making tight turns in reverse backing into our concrete pad on side of house where we store coach.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #9

Backing Up With Passive Steering

Yes - Personal Experience here. Recent Freightliner personal experience and definitely not normal.

There is a fix for it and just had it done. Is called "Sear 2016-067 check valve replacement in auxiliary air tank for tag".

Freightliner aware of issue and new check valve is the fix.
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wqmiller View Post
Has anyone with passive steering experienced any trouble with the tag wheels going hard over in the opposite direction of the backing? I witnessed this occurring while watching a salesman backing a rig out of the lot for someone to test drive. He said "oh, that's normal". I personally don't think he was correct. I did a little research and found that the tags should "lock" in the straight position when the coach is put into reverse.

Are there any owners who have first hand knowledge of this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Quinton

Still looking and dreaming!

I have had the same experience as a must complete a three point turn to put in back in storage. My logic was the tag cannot lock in the straight position if it is already in the passive turn position. Therefore, if I know I am going to place the coach in R, I always try to leave myself enough distance in front of the coach to let the comfort drive return to straight position an move forward a couple of feet first. This allows the tag to return straight and permit locking straight before reversing.
zjgc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Yes - Personal Experience here. Recent Freightliner personal experience and definitely not normal.

There is a fix for it and just had it done. Is called "Sear 2016-067 check valve replacement in auxiliary air tank for tag".

Freightliner aware of issue and new check valve is the fix.
Yup, you sir are 100% correct. Even with this check valve installed, the system needs to be completed aired up. Dumping the tag doesn't change the tag turning in reverse.
ChassisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:23 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
That passive steer should be an option. You know - the one I would not pick. Never seen a regular fixed tag wear out the tires any faster than the rest of the tires. just something else to go wrong!!!
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #13

I have talked to Freightliner Custom Chassis about backing up with the passive steer tag after having the tag on my 2016 DS 4018 rotate sideways and jam so the wheels drag when backing up. First of all, they verified that if you keep your tag axle dump switch in the AUTO (center) position the tag automatically dumps to take weight off it when in reverse. Secondly, before backing you must straighten the coach out when going forward to lock the tag axle pins in the straight position. If you do not straighten the coach out before backing up, the tag will not lock in the center position and it will rotate, jam and drag.

Keith
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TiresRollin View Post
That passive steer should be an option. You know - the one I would not pick. Never seen a regular fixed tag wear out the tires any faster than the rest of the tires. just something else to go wrong!!!
Keep looking. It happens.
ChassisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering